Wild ride ahead: glimpse at humanity’s long range future

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by g0pher, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Imagine if you could take an exotic vacation billions of light years from Earth, peek in on the dinosaurs' first-hand, or jump into a parallel universe where another you is living a more exciting life than yours - and you could swap places if you like.
    \nFor years, scientists have bandied about radical ideas that future humans will one day harness wormholes to zip across the universe at faster-than-light speeds to explore vast distances in space, travel through time, and visit other universes.
    \nNow, researchers at the CERN particle accelerator believe their machine can recreate conditions like the “big bang,” which brought time and space into existence, and create baby black holes and wormholes; elements that many believe offer the best chance to validate or dispute the concept of developing faster-than-light travel.
    \nIn 1964, astronomer Nikolai Kardashev devised a method to categorize advanced civilizations based on energy consumption. Type-I utilizes all solar energy that strikes its planet, Type-II, controls all energy in its solar system, and Type-III harnesses power from every star in its galaxy. Others have since added Type-IV, which masters the entire energy output of a universe.
    \nPhysicists rate today's humans at Type-0.7. In The Runaway Universe, author Don Goldsmith reminds us that Earth receives only one billionth of the Sun's energy, and that we utilize just one millionth of that; but with nanotech and strong AI advances expected by mid-century, forward-thinkers predict we could reach Type I by 2100.
    \nThe following list estimates the times humanity could reach each new civilization level:
    \n
    • Type I, 2100. At this level, we will capture all solar energy striking our planet, which will increase today's energy supply by 100 billion times. Molecular nanotech and warp-drive propulsion will trigger a rush to space and create an affluent, peaceful society where it is no longer viable to waste energy on intra-global conflicts. Say goodbye to crime and wars.
    • Type II, 2200. Exponentially advancing technologies could help achieve this level within one century. We will mine all solar energy, increasing power by 100 billion again. We will establish space colonies throughout our solar system and on planets orbiting nearby stars.
    • Type III, 3000. We again increase energy supply by 100 billion. In his book, Parallel Worlds, Michio Kaku says Type-III's will derive power from every star in their galaxy and could learn to control unstable time and space. We will traverse wormholes through vast distances in space and begin time travel excursions. Type-III will join other species in a Star Trek-like federation to “boldly go where no man has gone before.” Move over, Captain Picard.
    • Type IV, 12000. Wild dreams are now possible as we approach the ultimate limits of our journey. We control all power in the universe, and can visit our “other selves” in parallel universes; or roam throughout the “multiverse” in a never-ending quest to acquire more intelligence.
    •  
    Is it possible that this ‘wild ride' will ever become humanity's reality?
    \nAchieving this future will mean new ways of living, thinking, loving, and being born. It may mean the end of all these things and the dawn of a new world.
    \nAdmittedly, many of these ideas may sound like optimism gone wild, but stay positive. This long-range future may one day become yours to enjoy.
    http://www.kurzweilai.net/wild-ride-ahead-glimpse-at-humanitys-long-range-future

2. I would think the ability of tapping the quantum vacuum energy/zero-point energy would be easier than tapping 100billion individual stars, even if it were tapped as one gigantic electromagnetic entity.

Calphysics website states, if zero point fluctuations occur down to the Planck frequency, "If that is the case, the zero-point
    energy density would be 110 orders of magnitude greater than the radiant energy at the center of the Sun."

That would be at every single point of vacuum space. We wouldnt need to tap stars and solar systems or galaxes. Im not sure why they assume that ability is 12,000 years away.

We would literally be able to do just about anything we could imagine. That is a power I am afraid humanity is not ready for.

Exciting post and possibilities! And yes, there is hope for humanity and our potential.

3. Personally i don't know what to make of all this, it's all way over my head 
    It just frustrates me that the galaxy is so incredibly vast, let alone the known universe
    What other civilizations have surpassed us in our own galaxy? Are we the first to get this far? 

4. In my opinion, only those who believe in special creation or the primorial soup/lightning bolt story would believe we are the only ones in the neighborhood. As if life arises only by natural or supernatural miracle.

It might be disconcerting to find out we are part of an even larger community, especially if they are as damn dumb as we are, if they are as hostile as we are. We are evidence a civilization can be technologically advanced but primal as a culture.

If we did unlock the potential of the zero-point energy, we wouldnt be playing with missles and nukes, we would be playing with the ultimate power, capable of creating or destroying planets, stars, solar systems etc. I dont trust us with that ability, if others exist, i bet they wouldnt trust us either.

5. I know the article says to stay positive.. but wormholes are still only theory. I think we should be working on figuring out if they truly exist before building another theory on top of that theory. It is fun to think about.. cause even if we reached speed of light travel, it'll take us many Earth years to even get somewhere. Warp speed would be great though.. that way 100 Earth years won't pass if we sent an expedition 50 light years away.

6. I dont think Type IV is possible by its definition. If it would only take us 10,000 years to get to that stage, that means there are many civilizations at that stage already. And if all of them are competing for that energy, no one has "mastered all energy output in the universe"

That or those civilizations war with each other and destroy themselves in the process.

Also, we are harnessing power from our sun. That means another civilization cant be Type IV because of us. Unless one civilization wipes out every other civilization in the universe. There are many implications.

Man, i think this is my new favorite section of GC

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Nonlocal quantum tunneling has been experimentally verified. The problem remains whether or not we can figure out how to scale it up to be useful for macro objects.

8. #8 NorseMythology, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    Even if some were able to or are harnessing the energy of the entire universe, they arent depleting it. All energy comes from and returns to the quantum vacuum. Its inexhaustible. Imagine a car running on water, electrolysis splits the water into hydrogen and oxygen, uses the energy and the exhaust is recombined and used again (assuming a closed system). A crude analogy i admit.

9. Yeah, type IV is a stretch.. but makes for some good science fiction. Type III is kind of a stretch too cause at that point, probably won't be harnessing power from stars as we will probably have black holes and dark energy hammered out and making use of that.

Quantum tunneling isn't a wormhole, nor does it travel faster than the speed of light.

10. It's kind of hard to remain positive. In my opinion, it is far more likely that humans will destroy themselves before any of that good stuff can happen. We're a pretty shitty species and we are capable of fucked up shit. Future's not looking to bright, I reckon. Good news is that we'll probably be dead before we have to worry about real problems.

11. i doubt it
    I think we're more likely to go extinct from a natural disaster than by destroying ourselves through war or technology

12. #12 yurigadaisukida, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    either that, or it proves there is a better energy source

As Norse said, its easier to use zpe then to out solar panels all over the galaxy.

The fact that we don't see aliens might just mean they've moved on to better realities

-yuri