Proponents of legalizing cannabis in California in 2016 remain deeply divided

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ogderp, Jan 18, 2015.

That is not how it is supposed to work.  It is for school construction.  The last report I read said about $10M was the figure for 2014.  That is enough to build a couple of elementary schools or a middle school or part of a HS.  Any money raised from this tax is money that doesn't have to come from somewhere else.

2. Thanks for the clarification, startedat45. Seems like that guy just wants to fearmonger and spread misinformation while stuffing his pockets.

3. What California needs is decriminalization. Basically what the. Cchi 2014 initiative ( the jack herer initiative) offered. Legalization leads to regulation and taxation. Fuck that. We've been lied to by our government for 70 years. They deserve nothing. Cchi 2016 is the only acceptable option. Other than that they are gonna leave those of us that have been in the business and being activists for this cause in the dust. But we do have prop. 215 that was implemented by ballot initiative. And since it was passed by a vote of the people and not implemented by an ab (assembly bill) or an sb. (Senate bill) the lawmakers cannot amend it...and it guarantees the right of patients to home grows. If they don't make patient providers part of the solution, then patient providers will be part (if not most) of the problem for overtaxed cannabis in California. I say bring on legalization and see what a dismal failure it will be in in California. ( just attended the reformca/norml bullshit meeting last week in riverside.) dale sky jones and dale geiringer spouting their nonsense about legalization being the only alternative was just about enough to make me throw up in my underwear. Educate yourselves or we're screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Who's to say that we can't have that Cali fire in a legal recreational market? I haven't been to Colorado or Washington so I can't give my opinion on the quality of their recreational weed.

5. Growers want to keep it illegal.

Kind of selfish forcing everyone to use the black market.

6. #46 ogderp, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    We already have decriminalization for up to an oz. and unfortunately CCHI is too radical, so it'll never pass here.

We can, but it is up to the legalization bill we choose to impliment. If we vote on one that has too much red tape (too many regulations and absurd taxes), quality and availability will go down and the price will go up, as seen in WA State.

8. #48 dekabos, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015

You can really stop bringing up my state over and over like it's some singular black mark in the process of legalization. Rec weed is more expensive than medical, yes, but IME it hasn't proven to be the garbage cats were taking pics of in the first few days. Haven't bought any myself, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I've sampled from friends who have. We can still grow for ourselves, we still have dispensaries, and it's all still a battleground, much like CA. 

Doesn't look like it's going to be around much longer.

I don't see why I shouldn't bring it up, being it's the worst example of weed legalization so far. At least the recent legal states have learned a few errors from the first two, like the 5 ng / ml DUI law, cultivation rights, and not to interfere with their MMJ program.

10. #50 dekabos, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015

We went through this same shit last year and struck it down because nobody wants to stab the entire state's medical community in the back. Notice how one of the proposals on the table includes provisions for homegrows for anyone over 21, transferring herb legally, etc. But that doesn't make WA look like the shittiest state, does it? Even if it's the shitty bill that makes it through, the people can and will fight it. We have a strong history of the public being on the side of the patients in WA. It can be changed. The worst mistake was giving control of the rec market to the Liquor Board, but even that could and should change in time. 

Like I said, it's still a battleground. Feel free to bring it up, but when you do so half a dozen times making the same point it starts to get irritating, considering that none of it has actually happened. Lots of stones being cast from CA it seems at places trying to move past their model.

Edit: Look, I don't mean to be combative here. We share the left coast with you guys. Just don't count us out yet is all I'm saying. We still have plenty of fight left in us for patients' rights up here.  :wave:

Fair enough, you have good points  :D  I don't believe by any means WA is a terrible state or anything like that. My favorite grower / "extract artist" comes from that state (and he seems okay with the rec law), as well as others I enjoy. I just feel their rec law could've been written better, and have been saying so before it passed, so I'm a bit wary of other bills being passed that have similar (or worse) consequences, the latest being "Responsible Ohio". I hope you at least see a little bit from my angle. :unsure:

12. #52 dekabos, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
    Accidental double post.

For sure. It's a clusterfuck, honestly. Giving control of the market to the LCB was an idiotic move, which they aptly demonstrated right out of the gate with their corrupt bungling. Pisses me right off. In time, though, folks will realize that the world isn't crumbling around them. We've seen some huge leaps here in terms of social stances and public perception since legalizing, even though it didn't get implemented well. My hope is that those steps will beget bigger leaps in the coming years. Oregon doing their thing now just to our south with the legal rec homegrows will influence how things go up here, too. I just don't see any traction to be gained backward in the long run.