A brief history of the Mag wheel.......

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 17, 2015.

1. #1 ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    <div>Car folks and non-car folks have heard the phrase a million times; "Check out the mag wheels on that car." Mag wheels. For the most part, they aren't really "mag" wheels anymore, to tell you the truth. Way back in the day, sure, but today's custom wheels are usually made from aluminum and sometimes plain old steel.
    <div>[​IMG]
    Bart R. Orlans
    Believe it or not, the term "mag wheel" came about because of the material these wheels were originally made from...magnesium. Magnesium wheels were lighter and stronger than the steel spoke wheels being used on racing cars at the time. We are talking about the 1930s here. The weight reduction was a very big deal as wheel weight is unsprung weight which has a huge impact on ride, handling, braking and performance. Heavier wheels require suspension tuning that comprimises ride comfort and performance so dropping unsprung weight makes for easy performance gains.
    But magnesium came with its own set of problems. Magnesium wheels crack rather than bend like steel wheels do. While large hunks of magnesium are hard to ignite, once burning, they are VERY difficult to extingush. Other materials would need to be found to cast or forge wheels from that had the weight advantage of magnesium without the penalties of fragility or flamability. Enter aluminum. Aluminum offered the light weight of magnesium without the frailty or flamibility. It could be cast using a number of different casting processes or forged for increased strength.
    While the weight and strength were nice, there was something else about these wheels that took people for a spin. They looked good. They could be made in a dizzying array of styles and compared to the plain old steel wheels or bland wheel covers most cars came from the factory with, they were lightyears ahead in street cred. With the explosion in popularity of hot rods and factory performance cars, custom wheels became an absolute necessity for car owners who wanted to individualize their cars and the automotive aftermarket responded. Wheel companies began pouring and forging aluminum wheels like the American Racing Torque Thrust D and combining aluminum wheel centers with steel wheel rims leading to wheels like the ubiquitous the Cragar S/S five spoke "mag" wheel. Along with American Racing and Cragar, other wheel makers like Keystone, Fenton, Weld, Centerline, Hurst and dozens more made, and continue to make their mark on cars and trucks all over the world.
    The car manufacturers were noticing. As far back as the 1950s, cars like the Cadillac Eldorado were coming out of the factories with a forged aluminum wheel. Pontiac released it's sensational eight-lug wheel with integrated aluminum brake drum in 1960 and was merely the first volley in the factory "mag" wheel wars. Buick jumped into the fray in the early '60s with a stamped steel, chrome-plated five spoke road wheel for their Wildcat and Riviera models. It remained a popular option on big Buicks for decades so much so that they even made a wheel cover for plain steel wheels that looked just like it.
    Before long, other car builders were getting into the act. Chevrolet introduced an aluminum wheel with a knock-off center for the Corvette. Motor Wheel Corporation, an original equipment supplier, provided their beautiful Magnum 500 five-spoke chrome wheels to several manufacturers including Chrysler, Ford and American Motors. As time whent by, less expensive alternatives were coming out of all the factories. Ford was making their own styled steel wheels for Mustangs, Cyclones and other performance models. Chrysler introduced their stamped-steel painted Rallye wheel as did Chevrolet and AMC. These wheels were made the same way as plain steel wheels but with better style, bright paint and stainless trim rings to set them apart from the plain jane wheels.
    The king of the factory styled steel wheels has to be the one from Pontiac known as the Rally II. Introduced in 1967, it replaced the popular Rally I and the pioneering eight-lug wheel and was available on both their big and small cars. The Rally II was made in several sizes and colors but the basic wheel stayed in production almost until the end of the third generation Firebirds lifespan. While Pontiac, and other manufacturers, made styled wheels, the Rally II covered more ground than any of them. From plush Grand Safari station wagons to rip snorting Ram Air Trans Ams, the Rally II wheel was everywhere. So popular was this wheel that it was also used on some Holden models down in Australia and Opels in Germany.
    Fast forwarding to today a new trend has developed. Oversized aluminum versions of factory steel wheels from companies like Wheel Vintiques. Cast to look like the old factory wheels, these new aluminum wheels are available in sizes up to 19-inches in some cases and can clear the larger brakes found on modern cars and in "big brake" kits for vintage cars. Wheel Vintiques also makes factory style, and sized, wheels for your classic muscle car as well.
    And real "mag" wheels are still around too. Magnesium wheels are still finding their way under some cars and trucks but mostly very high-end jobs like Porsche and in some racing applications. While magnesium continues to hang in there after all thee years, recent developments have also allowed the creation of carbon fiber wheels that are tremendously strong while also being incredibly light. These wheels are unapologetically expensive, but are half the weight of an aluminum wheel and a good deal stronger.
    To put it mildly, the aftermarket wheel industry is freaking gigantic, huge, enormous. Hundreds of manufacturers make wheels of every shape and size for everything from a factory restoration to full-on customs to off-road 4X4s to racing applications. If you can't find a wheel to suit your tastes or your vehicle's temperment, you're just not looking. And if you are still calling your steel, aluminum or carbon fiber wheels mags, we forgive you.
    [​IMG]

</div></div> 
    [From http://www.examiner.com/article/a-brief-history-of-the-mag-wheel

2. great read! i knew they used to be made of magnesium because my grandfather told me. i enjoy automotive history.

3. Cadillac ht series engines had mag valve covers

4. Porsche 911 in the late 80's still had magnesium wheels. I seem to remember something about Bentley using magnesium in the Speed Six maybe? That was the 30's long nose car.

5. From an old-school car guy...great story--and one that's spot-on accurate!

I like that vintage Marlin in there, too!

6. #6 ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
    A lot of people dont know why they're called "Mags", though "Dubs" or "Feet" are more popular terms now, or just plain "wheels" or "rims". And Spinnaz" were hot for a second.....
    [​IMG]
    Come to think of it, I havent even heard the term "mags" in forever.... Fuck - There I go showin my age again :bolt: