Happy Hives

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by HappyFarmer, Jan 16, 2015.

1. #21 HappyFarmer, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015

I found some pretty reasonably priced that look like should work for my first try at this. 

Glad to have on board John. 
    This has been a nagging thought to do this in the back of mind for 5-6 years now. 
    My father..a farmer...recently went all non-GMO on the family farm and we are transitioning into organics. He has been been farming his whole life. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks. TBH..I am pretty sure 30 years ago the family farm was basically all organic without the label. It's just the way things were back then.
    Pretty proud of him for making the switch and he is getting better yields now of our crops and extra $ per bushel at the elevators for it being non-gmo. We own one of the bigger farms in our area and he caught a lot of flack from the nieghbors..saying "it will never work" "you are going to lose your ass" etc...it was all good natured but still. What do do you know...a couple of others in the area are making the switch now too ;) My Dad, leading the pack and taking the risk.
     I always try to emulate the way he thinks of farming. To him it's not just a job, its his way of life. Pretty sure the powers that be made him for this role. 
    He is the one that put this little crazy idea in my brain to try some hives. I think he wants to see what it is all about too ;)

I love to garden outdoors, veggies, flowers etc...plants are a passion for me and bees are part of that web. I figure I can help them and they can help my garden everyone wins. I don't think people fully appreciate what these guys do for plants and ecosystems. There is a real need for more of us to take responsibility and be stewards of the this planet we call home.

It's still winter in my neck of the woods but the bees are ordered and we will be having real updates on this experiment soon !!!

2. I'll sub up for this, hope to someday have some bees

3. Happy to have you along for the ride.

4. Spring is in the air! Cant wait for this to get going.

Ive been reading a lot about GMO vs Organic and the huge thing GMO is holding onto is the whole "feed the world" attitude. Its been proven organic actually yeilds better

5. #25 HappyFarmer, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015

Are you ready? Winter is almost over and the first hint of the honey juice fills the air. "Spring is coming" t-minus 17 days till the queen mothers arrive and I get outside, getting serious again with nature ;)
    I should prob get some hives put in huh? 

Lmao...

6. Have you got any built yet? Sounds like your going to have a busy spring! Make sure you get lots of pictures.

7. Hmm...you in the Southeast region US by chance?

Just seems you have some things going on that someone around my way that does. Wouldn't be the first time I ran into someone I actually knew IRL from here...lol

Probably not I know, but it's for curiosity.

Congrats on the little one? We'll leave it there if that doesn't peak your curiosity. :)

8. #28 HappyFarmer, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    Sorry man I am not the one lol

9. Whats going on HappyFarmer!?! Any updates?

10. Not much happening. The hives I ordered were DOA on arrival. One completely dead. The other was full of mites. I left them at the aviary and got my money back. I went and caught an wild hive that was swarming on an old bridge in my neck of the woods but it didn't have a queen so it wasn't a viable NUC. I released them. Now I play the waiting game for another.

11. These are beautiful. Really really good job. Have you ever read about the bee keeper who trained his bee's to collect strictly resin from cannabis plants? They make cannahoney. First natural edible in the world!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Just read this one. :( sorry man, I've gotten weak nucs before too. Always sad. Subbed up and hope all works out next time. Kudos for having the balls to try to catch a swarm this early on in your game. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Grasscity Forum mobile app