Is Japanese racism more valid than skin color based racism?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Messiah Decoy, Jan 15, 2015.

Chinese, Japanese, and Korean people all hating each other doesn't make any more sense, especially since they're extremely ethnically similar anyway.

I'm not really sure about China but I know that Japanese and Korean xenophobia is really bad.

The hate is real. The conflict with Korea stems from pirate raids going back to 1600. Then they occupied Korea from 1910-1945. They fucked everybody in the Indo-China war. Look at the Rape of Nanking. I assume most people know about somewhat recent stand-offs with China regarding island property, mostly political. Much of the hate for Korea is social. Many Korean refugees head to Japan which conservatives think rises crime, gangs, prostitution, etc. They also have this idea that Koreans are infiltrating media ownership and saturating the flow of K-Pop and multicultural programing.

3. Japanese "racism" isn't flawless but the cultural and genetic preservation aspect still makes more sense than the logic behind skin color based racism.

You don't think skin-color based racism has both of those?

5. hummmm... i spent 2 years in okinawa, which is part of japan. the people there don't consider themselves japanese, they call themselves okinawans. (not sure of that spelling, lol) that has a ring of racism to it.

It's called ethnocentrism.

Most Sicilians don't consider them self Italian.

8. On a superficial level, yes. But what does an Irish person marrying a Russian have to do with preserving genetic traits or culture.

Their kid is going to be a mutt. A white mutt but still a mutt.

They're not preserving didly squat.

9. #29 Vicious, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015

Culturally they both like potatoes, drink like sailors and are use to famine, I don't see a problem. However the key word is white, there is a pretty big genetic difference in Irish and Slavic though. Although no one is pure, some take pride in ancestor and have kept to their racial community for centuries. I'd be willing to bet most white people don't have expectations of their children or grandchildren coming out mix-skinned or with nappy hair while growing up, you generally have an idea that your kids are going to look like you. Some people don't consider identity and culture "superficial". In old warfare, people would rape and pillage to literally fuck their enemy, mix genes and out breed them. You mentioned nature vs nurture in another thread. I'm sure you can put two and two together and consider why we might have the 'defense mechanisms' in prejudice such as we do.

Either way its a cherry picked example that doesn't negate what I said, its a fallacious analogy. You can't reduce it to strictly homogenous couples and their "mutts". You're completely ignoring cultural, geopolitical and many other social aspects. It's not something simply skin deep, something you've made akin to tribal conflict. People are psychologically prejudice based on many things, one of the largest being drawn based on past experience and potential future experience.

And black men get away with killing black men quite often, but nobody riots when they do. Only when a white person is the killer.

When people of low character are judged, they dodge personal responsibility with false accusations of racism. Mike Brown was killed for no other reason than because of the color of his skin, amirite?

90% of homicides in large cities are committed by young black males, and you believe that avoiding them is arbitrary? If people avoid large groups of young black males, it's not because of the color of their skin. It's because they rage on anybody and everybody in their path. There are hundreds, if not thousands of videos of this happening, and people still deny it.

11. #31 Messiah Decoy, Jan 17, 2015
    The Japanese and Chinese have things in common but if the 2 populations merged 300 years ago you'd have a completely new culture from the mixed population today.

So mixing two different ethnicities of the same race does have broad impact on culture and obviously genetics.

and I didn't mean that culture is a superficial reason for attempting to keep your bloodline pure. But it becomes superficial when you claim cultural purity with a mixed bloodline as I suggested in my Chinese-Japanese example.

But if you listen to hate group rhetoric you hear the word purity tossed around quite a bit.

The main idea being that keeping the skin white somehow reflects how pure a person's blood and heritage is.

But someone with only Japanese in their blood line is so-called pure. Someone who is Japanese and Filipino is not.

This logic applies to European ethnicities also.

12. #32 Messiah Decoy, Jan 17, 2015
    Okay so we established that blacks AND whites get away with killing unarmed blacks without anyone rioting.

Glad we can agree.

Blacks do riot when white police get away with beating or killing unarmed blacks like animals. Why? Because that is a disturbing revelation that suggest systematic corruption and prejudice.

and I'm not concerned with the percentage of homicides in a city that are black people. I'm more concerned with how many homicides happen per capita.

If it's too high I'll avoid the area no matter if the residents are Russian, Mexican or Eskimo.

Blacks committing the most murders doesn't matter because 99 percent of black people aren't murderers. So judging them all based on their skin color is arbitrary.

Ya dig?

13. #33 Vicious, Jan 17, 2015

If you listen to hate group rhetoric many of those people wouldn't consider Slavic or Mediterranean people white. The former for mixing with Asians, the latter for mixing with Arabs and Africans. The European example you used is too wide. There is a difference in Eastern and Western Europe culturally and genetically. Just like how we draw differences in European genetics, they do the same in Asian. It is not hard to look at someone and tell if they are Filipino, Japanese, Chinese or Korean if you know what characteristics to look for. The same can be said about Europeans.

Japan is exceptional culturally. They were a isolated and proud warlord nation. A major part of their history, the Sengoku era, is all in fighting based on feudal clans. They never really had an invasion of culture or outside influence. The term often used to refer to other races, "gaijin", literally means outsider, foreigner and includes other Asian nations. You have to understand the pride in their culture and creed in ancestry. Your drawing conclusions and parallels from an extremely exceptional example.

Yes, if you merge two cultures there will be assimilation, conflict and a myriad of other affects and there might be a new culture but the previous culture may still exist. America may be a racial mixing pot but you can still see Irish, Italian, Jewish, Mexican, Chinese or any other culture still existing. Is it wrong to want to preserve your culture? I don't see the point of inviting your neighbors enmass to be arbitrarily inclusive and post-modern.

It's anecdotal, not arbitrary. It goes back to what I said about psychology of prejudice. If you have a previous bad experience you can expect to have a similar bad experience when given the same stimuli. Do you think that people lock their cars, clinch their purses or switch sides of the road for arbitrary safety?

15. I used Japan as an example because their ethnocentricism is actually useful. It serves a purpose that white supremacist claim to have but do not live up to.

I have no problem with Irish people marrying only Irish people and Jewish only marrying Jewish. But two whites from completely different ethnicities claiming their kids are pure because they have white skin is total bullshit.

That so-called purity is meaningless.

16. #36 Vicious, Jan 17, 2015

Why are you so caught up on the race mixing aspect? You keep coming back to this one thing, not only that but specifically white people mixing with other white people on the subject of purity. Your comparing the Western standard of white with an extreme example of a specific Eastern culture without considering the historical implications and inert differences. Its a bad parallel.

17. I don't assume every business man is a crook because of white collar crime.

So while arbitrary might not be the right word it's certainly an overreaction.

An overreaction based on experience.

19. Why exactly is it a bad parallel?

Asian ethnicities have valid differences from each other and European ethnicities have valid differences from each other.

When Europeans or Asians intermix ethnicities they can't claim purity based on skin color.

What purity?

20. I'm not seeing your point.

An overraction is an overreaction regardless of the source.