Is Japanese racism more valid than skin color based racism?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Messiah Decoy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Japanese racism discriminates against anyone who isn't Japanese.

Why is this any better than skin color based racism?

Well it seems like an honest and genuine effort to preserve one's cultural identity and genetic uniqueness.

Skin color based racism seems to have no merit at all since any ethnicity can interbreed just as long as they share the same skin color.

This arbitrary designation doesn't preserve culture or genetic uniqueness.

I'm not saying Japanese racism is good, only that it has more valid reasoning behind it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. #2 Inferi, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
    Its racism if they believe themselves superior. You can have a want to preserve your culture or genetics without having to put down another. I suppose I still agree with your points though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Lenny., Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    You're thinking of cultural nationalism, not racism. If you're not Japanese or living in Japan, I can't understand why you'd be concerned with whether or not Japan wants to preserve its cultural identity, which is very Western nowadays. 

A vast majority of the hentai that I watch and read features white and light skinned people. That's pretty interesting.

• Like Like x 4
  4. They're not very racist, but they do want to protect their heritage and traditions. South and north Korea are similar, ranked as the most homogenous countries in the world, north would considered racist while the south is more open to outside ethnicities, but still a homogenous country by world standards.
    America is likely the least homogenous country in the world, yet were still first racist.

1) I don't think it's simply "cultural nationalism", as you put it.

If it was just about culture the Japanese would require immigrants to strictly adhere to Japanese culture, instead they allow very few immigrants into the country to slow the flow of non-Japanese into the country despite the fact that Japan's birthrate is dwindling and they badly need more workers.

2) I'm not overly concerned with Japanese culture. I'm just using it as an example for the sake of this thread. And I disagree that Japanese culture is largely westernized. It still has many unique aspect to it.

3) Japanese anime does use lots of European physical features. But this just may be a strategy to distinguish the characters from each other. They still don't intermix genetically with Europeans en masse so the obsession might be purely superficial.

Lenny is right, it isn't "racism."

In this politically-correct era, in which the meaning of words changes to suit the political flavor of the day, we should go back to basics and define (re-define actually) what "race" is.

Japanese is not a race; they are of the Oriental race.

AFAIK, there are only about four distinct races: Caucasian, Negro, Oriental, and Indians of the Americas.

I'm sure somebody will Google the hell out of what I said and nit-pick over some minor point to prove me wrong, but I don't care, have at it.

7. #7 Messiah Decoy, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015

No it's not really racism which is why I put racism in quotes in the thread title.

I wish there was a word for ethnicity-based discrimination but, for some strange reason, there isn't.

Maybe because such a word would too quickly expose skin color based racism as a complete fluke.

8. Is ethnicity based on only culture or genetics also?

Because the Japanese are considered an ethnicity but not just any person who learns there culture would be considered the Japanese ethnicity.

Sorry to nitpick, but I come from a different era and have a longer historical perspective on political-correctness -- a term I first saw in a "Newsweek" magazine around 1990. I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but to criticize the silly popular culture that is overwhelming the culture I grew up in.

My question: Why is it such a bad thing to "discriminate"? I do it every day.

I go to the diner for lunch, and ordered one item off the "Special" board, thus discriminating against the other five items that were on it.

Then I went to the supermarket and the discrimination was endless: 1% or 2% milk? Garlic bulb or pre-peeled garlic? Yadda yadda.

And I've discriminated horribly against women for decades: I've always went after good-looking ones vs. ugly ones; always discriminated against blondes as I prefer brunettes; I've always rejected smelly broads in favor of ones that smelled like your grandmother's flower garden; thin or average over fat . . .

The list is endless.

"When words lose their meaning, people lose their liberty." -- Confucius 

10. #10 invinciblejets, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    Who's to say it's "wrong"
    They have a lot of pride for their country but they don't really think of others as "less"

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

• Like Like x 1

It depends on the type of discrimination.

I'd say discrimination as public policy can be hurtful to dehumanizing to downright dangerous.

It's one thing to say you, personally, don't want to marry a fat person or vote for a fat person. It's another entirely to say no fat person can vote or get married.

12. #12 Messiah Decoy, Jan 16, 2015

The Japanese have treated the Chinese and Koreans like lessers when they occupied those countries during the 20th century.

Plus "Japanese only" signs are common place in Japan.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oh ok.
    Lol

why did you make thread if you already knew? Lol....

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

• Like Like x 1
  14. I never said that Japanese racism was a good thing. I just reasoned that it makes more sense than skin color based racism.

• Like Like x 1
    Well yes, my whole point was that there are different kinds of discrimination, but in today's world there is a silly, knee-jerk, negative reaction to the word to the point of "all discrimination is bad."

Military occupations are typically preceded by the word "brutal," because they all are. Just ask someone in any number of countries in the Middle East how they feel about being occupied by Washington and its allies.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 Vicious, Jan 16, 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYuYkPgDkk

This is a video of nationalist, exceptional but relevant. They hate other Asians more than Europeans and Americans which they're mostly indifferent to and have some fascination with. They fucking hate Koreans and Chinese. Simple history and politics.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jingoistic beliefs are stupid and based on a false belief that people in your country aren't as shitty as people in other countries, which is clearly bullshit. There's bad apples everywhere, it's just a fact of life we have to accept.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ethnicity based discrimination is a subset of bigotry.  All racist are bigots but not all bigots are racist.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Some forms of bigotry are more acceptable than others.

There were 6 murders in a single 8 hour period in St Louis yesterday. Thankfully, none of the killers was white so there won't be any riots if nobody's indicted.

• Like Like x 2
  20. #20 Messiah Decoy, Jan 16, 2015
    White men get away with killing unarmed black people at times.

Rioting occurs when the police get away with it because it reeks of systematic corruption and injustice.

Either way, skin color racism is arbitrary.

It serves no real purpose other than tribal conflict.

• Like Like x 1