Used Honda ruckus, is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Squirt, Jan 14, 2015.

1. #1 Squirt, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    Okay so yes I'm thinking about getting a scooter (inb4 "FAAAAAGG"), and I wanted to get a Honda ruckus and stretch it, maybe swap the engine and all that. I found a really cool used one on Craigslist about an hour away from me and just wanted some opinions. The guy says it has 2000 dollars in mods and he's selling it for only 2400.

Check it out here if you want
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/4836422704.html

I like it cause personally I think it looks badass. Is this a good deal? Anyone else have experiences with the ruckus? Good scooter or bad? Thanks!

Sorry I think it posted the thread twice for some reason. If a mod sees this could you take one down please?

2. #2 mercinariesgtr, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
    make sure it runs amazingly well because with a bunch of mods if anything breaks, you own it and may end up being the one who has to fix it. That being said the ruckus is prob the best scooter on the market. I got a tomos sprint lx and its awesome, got some mods and i can hold 40 on a flat, its a 2 speed automatic and is so much fun for the 7 dollar 2-year registration. i spent 500 bucks with the mods and put 5k on it during college, plus i was able to park infront of my buildings for class instead of in the parking lots which was awesome

3. yeah that makes sense I don't know how long he's owned it with the mods, apparently they're pretty new. The main tricky part is convincing my parents to let me get it. They're completely opposed to me owning any motorized two wheel vehicle while I live with them. I can't blame them they're just worried about me.

Did you upgrade the engine on your scooter? I know it's illegal to go higher than 50cc but who would really know after you registered it?

4. If it runs good it's not a bad deal but I think the whole fun of having a ruckus is to make it yours. I personally would find a stock one for cheaper and then do my own thing to it.

5. #5 Squirt, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
    I thought about that too but the cheapest stock ones I can find are like 1200 dollars and then I would have to put quite a bit of money into that for mods which I really can't afford. This already has some mods I would do anyways and it would help me save money. I also like the look, I would just peel off the stickers and maybe add some stenciled graffiti. Do you know about how much it would cost to have a stock ruckus stretched?

I guess I'm just worried that if I pass up on this deal I won't find another one like it.

6. If it runs good and you like it it's not a bad price when you think of what parts cost. I have no clue man. I have a friend do any welding I need. Cost me parts and maybe a 12 pack of good beer.  :bongin: 

7. wow haha lucky. I saw this blog post about a guy who does custom ruckus work as a hobby. Apparently you can just email him, set up a weekend to go to his place and pay for parts and beer and he'll mod it for you. Too bad he lives all the way across the country from me lol

Thanks for the input tho. It will prob be awhile before I make my final decision, but I don't think its gonna sell that quick cause it's really cold right now. I'll keep an eye on it and wait until the spring

8. Post has been deleted by its author.....

Think it mighta sold faster than you were thinking.....

9. #9 Bob Barker, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    Take a msf course and make your parents  happy. You will also hone your skillz. I would never buy a 50cc scooter as they are to  slow for 40mph roads and cost a lot to make them ''fast''. Honda GROMS are pretty sweet.

I have a piaggio fly 150 that I picked up for $1500 with 2000 miles. That bitch will go 60mph on a flat road and is peppy of the light. The  main road that connects the 2 towns near me is 50mph so having a 50cc scooter is worthless.[​IMG]

10. maybe some gc lurker picked it up from this thread haha. It doesn't matter that much, I was kinda jumping on it and I'm not really ready to make the decision yet. Maybe when I move out..

11. yeah that makes sense I guess, a scooter would really only be good for within the one town I live in or the city. But to get anywhere it would need to be a little more expensive. I was thinking a scooter because my parents think they're less dangerous than a motorcycle (prob cause they think then I can't go too fast on it haha). But I think I'll just wait it out a for a while.

Thanks for the help everyone! Sorry for another useless thread :wave:

12. not a worthless thread!
    ive actually wanted to build my own Ruckus for the past couple years... im tall and would build it accordingly. maybe gorilla hanger handle-bars, stretched tastefully, clean solid wheels. the whole frame would be coated in bed-liner. with the up-sized engine(GY6).
    buy a stock one and mod it for you. i would start with the stretch and engine/ go fast parts. wait on rims and shiny stuff. 

13. I saw this badass ruck that was dressed up like a chopper with gorilla hangers. It was sick. I did some more research and it turns out you can get the stretch plate for like 38 bucks and there's a ton of cool mods you can do for cheap. I think I've decided it would be cool to do it myself cause I could prob do a cleaner job and it would be totally unique and my own. And that way I could finance it a little easier and space out all the different mods so I'm not dropping all the money at once.