White Widow, Rhino The Ultimate in coco with LEDs

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Captain Greenbeard, Jan 13, 2015.

1. I have been a smoker for over 14 years but just started my first grow. I ordered 5 Feminized White Rhino seeds from Green House Seeds and 5 Feminized The Ultimate from Dutch Passion. My plan was to pick out the strongest from each strain and grow two mothers from them, the rest I'd just let grow through their full process and let them bloom. After this I would start taking cuttings from the two mothers.

However, I received the wrong strain from Green House Seeds. Instead of 5 White Rhinos I got 5 Feminized White Widows. No problem really, Green House was cool about it and sent med 5 new ones of the right strain with UPS delivery so I had them within just two days. But this means I now have 4 more plants to try and fit into my grow room, a grow room built to accommodate only 8. I also have a third mother [​IMG] So we'll see how it goes. Perhaps not all of the seeds will germinate, which would make it easier fitting them in the grow room when time comes. I'd hate to have to throw away perfectly fine plants due to space limitations.

My set-up is as follows:

The area is 2 square meters (21.5 square feet) - 2 meters wide and 1 meter deep (6,56 feet wide and 3.28 feet deep). I have insulated the floor and built a wall with a door using 2''x2'' and rigid insulation.

Lights:
    One growing station with 2 x 24W, 2700 lumen, 6400K fluorescent light for seedlings.
    Three 80W Hans Panel LED's + one 65W Hans Panel LED for veg. and bloom + 1 extra 65W Hans Panel LED for my mothers. I will probably need to buy another one in order to accommodate all three mothers but I just can't afford it right now. Bonsai Hero has specially made a Hans Panel for mothers and perhaps I will buy one of these later on.

Reflection:
    Silver Lightite Diamond mylar.

Ventilation:
    A Ruck Can-Fan 310 m3/hour 125mm in diameter (310 m3/hour is about 182,4 CFM). I realize this is a bit over the top for the small space I plan to grow in but I have also a Variispeed Plug & Play fan control that controls the speed of the fan so I will not run the fan on full speed, quite far from it to be honest. I'm growing in a cellar so it's quite cold and as I'm using LED's the lights will basically not contribute to any heating. Because of this I have also a heater so I can get the right temperature in the grow room, but if I run the fan on full it has no chance of getting the temperature up enough. So the speed control comes very handy.

Air circulation:
    One oscillating tower fan.

Humidifier:
    One Bionaire BU6000 humidifier. As I'm located in Scandinavia the air gets pretty dry during winter so I need one of these to raise the RH in my grow room.

Odour control:
    A carbon filter that I have designed and built myself.

Growing Medium:
    Rockwool cubes for germination
    Coco coir and perlite (7 parts coco and 1 part perlite) for veg and bloom.

Nutrients:
    Plant Magic Coco grow A+B for the vegetative stage
    Plant Magic Coco bloom A+B for the blooming stage
    Plant Magic Root Stimulant
    Plant Magic Bloom Boost
    Plant Magic Magne-Cal

Final Pot size:
    14 liter (3,7 gallon)

That's basically it [​IMG]

So, as this is my first grow I will try and document the entire process as much as possible. I have been researching cannabis cultivation quite a bit but as you all know there's always something you miss so I'd appreciate any suggestions and help that you guys might have to offer.

2. #2 Captain Greenbeard, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    I actually placed the first 10 seeds in water on the 6:th of January (5 white widows and 5 Ultimates separated in two glasses).

On the 7:th I placed them all between wet paper towels on saucers (destilled water with a PH of 6) . One of the top cabinets in my kitchen has a light underneath it to light up the sink so the temperature inside the cabinet above is slightly higher than in the rest of the house (about 24-25 ℃) and ideal for germination.

Already on the 8:th (the next day) 4 of the White Widows and 4 of the Ultimate seeds had sprouted so I planted them in rockwool cubes that had been left to soak in tapwater for 24 hours. I placed the cubes on a layer of perlite, on two separate grow trays with humidity domes. I then set the humidity domes on a heating mat.

The two remaining seeds I left in the wet paper towels on their saucers in the kitchen cabinet.

On the 9:th all the White Widow cotyledons (seed leaves) had sprouted so I placed them in the grow station with fluorescent lights.

The two last seeds (1 White Widow + 1 The Ultimate) sprouted their taproots so I planted them in Rockwool and moved them onto the heating mat like the rest.

I also recieved the 5 White Rhino seeds from Green House Seeds and placed them in water to soak over night.

On the 10:th one of The Ultimates sprouted its cotyledon leaves so I moved it in under the lights with the White Widows.

I also placed all the White Rhino seeds between wet paper towels on a saucer (distilled water).

I also read on the web that humidity domes shouldn't be used on seedlings so I removed them from both trays.

On the 11:th I got a bit worried that the White Widows and the one Ultimate under the light had gotten too dry so I watered them a bit (distilled water), not much, and I also took an oscillating fan and aimed it at them from a distance. This caused three of the White Widows and the Ultimate to fall over and I had to give them some support. I used toothpicks and some wire to make a small supprt that I could stick into the rockwool next to them.

On the 12:th The Ultimate and one of the White Widows had erected themselves again but two of the White Widows where clearly damaged from this, not dead but they had gotten very thin on a section of their stems and still needed support. I wasn't sure they would make it but I left them under the light.

I also contacted Plant Magic to see if there's any idea with using their Root Stimulant on seedlings and they said that this is a good idea, only that I need to use very little (2,5 ml in 1 liter of water), being cautious I used 1,5 ml instead just to be sure I didn't give them too much.

All the White Rhino seeds had sprouted their taproots so I planted them in rockwool.

3. #3 Captain Greenbeard, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    13:th of January (8:th day)

Perhaps I've gotten a bit spoiled by the quite rapid development from seed to seedling (at least concerning the White Widows) but today I felt I wanted to try and place the seedlings under the LED's in my grow room in my basement. Perhaps it would give them a bit of a boost? Or perhaps It's not a good idea? Maybe I should keep them under the fluorescent until they grow a bit more and can be transplanted into coco? Any suggestions would be great.

Also, one of the three Ultimates have since a few days been very droopy and today it looked dead so I removed it.

The first picture is of the growroom with its door shut. I built the thing out of 2''x2'' and ridgid insulation.

The second picture is of the growroom with its door open. The floor inside is also insulated to keep the cold from the floor away and keep the warmth from the heater inside.

At this point I haven't turned on the can-fan, just the oscillating tower fan to keep the air circulating a bit. I have also started the humidifier, set it quite low. And as you can see on the third picture the RH is keeping steady around 40%. This is actually something I have had a hard time finding solid info about. Some sites say you should keep RH under 50% for seedlings and other say way lower and some way higher. So if anyone could clarify this a bit I would appreciate it.

The fourth picture shows the two Ultimates that have sprouted (the two at the top) and three of the four White Widows (bottom). As you can see the Ultimate to the right has only one cotyledon (seed leaf). Is this common?

Attached Files:

4. #4 Captain Greenbeard, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    14:th of January (9:th day)

Today when I got down to the basement I found that one of the White Widows who had fallen over a few days ago had actually died (or at least I think it is dead). It has curled up quite a bit. This was to be expected though as a section of its stem had shriveled up and looked dead so I saw no way for it to actually get any water and nutes up to its leaves from its roots.

Also, I thought I'd post some 3D pics of my growroom, it's probably easier to understand what I've done.

The first picture shows the growroom from above. You can see how the lights are suspended by chains from a 2''x2'' that in turn is suspended (also by chains) from the ceiling. So this gives me the possibility to move the lights on X, Y and Z axises. I am planning to buy more lights later and expand the area into the room, so then I will need to be able to move the lights around unrestricted.

The second picture is from below just to give further insight into the suspension of the lights.

The only thing that I haven't mounted yet that you can see in the 3D pictures is the carbon filter I've built. There's really no need to mount it yet as these small girls won't smell for quite some time [​IMG]

I'll take some photos of the carbon filter and post them once I get home from work so you can see how it's constructed.

Attached Files:

5. I promised to show you some pics of the carbon filter I've built. You can see it in the first two pics. I used a rockwool cube as a size-reference so you can see how thick the carbon layer is. It's made from wire mesh, wood and some quite thin textile to keep the carbon from running out. The bottom can't be seen here but it is of course closed to force the air through the active carbon. On top of that I have a dust filter fabric. I have no idea if it will work but I'll see on the day when the ladies start stinking up my basement [​IMG]

The third pic shows my heater, fan and humidifier. The humidifier is placed on a a small stool so the mist-outlet peakes up over the edge of the table. The RH around the plants are quite stable between 40-45%.

In the fourth pic you can see that I have hooks running all along the 2''x2'' that the lights are hanging from, spaced 5 cm from each other. This so I can move them sideways into any position.

The fifth Pic shows the one White Rhino that sprouted two days ago, that I moved in with the LED lights yesterday.

The sixth pic shows the strongest/most developed/biggest of the White Widows. You can perhaps see that it's a bit brown on the tips of its true leaves. I have no idea of why this is so any tips are more that welcome.

The seventh pic shows the strongest, most developed one of the two Ultimates that have sprouted so far. One died, one only has one cotyledon (what's up with that?) and the rest haven't sprouted from the rockwool yet. Perhaps they never will but I'll leave them on the heating mat for now.

The eighth pic shows the rest of the White Rhinos that are still on the heating mat in another room. Two of them started sprouting their cotyledons last night but haven't fully stretched yet. I'm not sure whether I should bring them in under the LED's or not. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should bring them in under the fluorescent lights for a day or two before bringing them in under the LED's?

Attached Files:

6. 15:th of January (10:th day)

This morning I moved the rest of the White Rhinos into the grow room and in under the LED's with the other seedlings. The only rockwool cubes left on the heating mat now are the two last Ultimates that for some reason doesn't seem to want to sprout. I placed the humidity dome on them to see if it helps to raise the humidity in there.

As you can see on the first picture below the White Rhinos that I moved into the grow room today are stretching out their cotyledons and there are even some very small true leaves showing, and they have started erecting themselves a bit as well.

I am still a bit worried about the White Widows (picture 2) as they seem to not really like their environment. I'm not sure why their leaves are losing color, all I have given any of the seedlings is a very mild solution of Rooting Stimulant and distilled water, and not much of it either. Perhaps I should stop with the Rooting Stimulant all together or the distilled water and give them plain tap water? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. The first one looks pretty healthy apart from the tips of its true leaves that seem a bit burned. The second one in the picture has started losing its green and got some yellow on its true leaves. The true leaves of the third one have started pointing upward. Does anyone have a clue what's going on with them?

The temperature is quite steady around 23-24 C (73,4-75,2ºF) and the RH is also quite steady between 40-45%. Should I perhaps raise or lower the humidity?

The Ultimate is the one I had the highest hopes for (third picture) as I think it would be the champion in terms of yield, but as I basically only have one that have sprouted properly I'm a bit nervous of losing it. You can also see that it have started to go down so I had to stabilize it with two nails and a wire. The rockwool was completely dry which is strange considering I watered it slightly this morning, so I really soaked it just now and gently squeezed it a bit to get any excess moisture out. So we'll see if it recovers. The second Ultimate only has one cotyledon leaf as you can see and shows no sign of sprouting its true leaves. It does look stable though and shows no signs of dying off either, so... We'll see how it turns out.

I'd really appreciate if someone could give some advice.

Attached Files:

7. Hey man, Ilike the look of your setup, however I am a ittle conserned with your lighting. Not to knock your setup in any way just with the ammount of plants you will have you will not have suffiet lighting to flower them all out to there full potential. One thing i will say is you are using a wonderfull brand of LED light. Top led is the best for the chinesse and as far as im concerned they are better them many many usa LED  ompanys. I use stealth grow 602s that draw 400 watts from the wall. I use 2 of them in a 5x5 space and can get monster plants. But the mars hydro leds are amazing. anything above the 700 watt can pruduce a nice ammount. for some reason the 1600 watt is th one that is doing gram per watt with no problems at all. its just such a huge light lol.

i dont know how to get that come check out my first grow thing. i havent uploaded any updates on that one due to some issues. with internet lol.

8. #8 Captain Greenbeard, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    Hey, thanks for your input NoobGrower33, I was beginning to worry that nobody would bother to show up here :D

I had initially planned to grow 4 Ultimates and 4 White Rhinos but I were a bit concerned like you that this was to stretch the space and the lights a bit too much. And then when I got the wrong order (White Widows instead of Rhinos) I was pretty sure that I would need more space and lights to get it to work. But as only one white Widow and only one Ultimate remain (as you can read below) I'm not so worried anymore. If the White Widow and the Ultimate survive I will make them mother plants and one of the Rhinos will also become a mother, so I will only get to grow 4 plants this time around. So I will move the plants closer together, perhaps even add another suspension so that I can hang the lights like this:
    [​IMG]
    I'll just remove the one 65W LED that I have in the grow room today and use that for the mothers like the other 65W LED I have that I planned to use for the two mothers in my original plan and just keep the 4 80W's in the grow room. 4 plants with 4 80W LED's will probably work great.

Hmmm... I know - it sounds a bit confusing :D I'll try to explain a bit better:

I originally bought 2 65W LED Hans Panels from Bonsai Hero in Holland. At this time I lived in an apartment and were planning to grow in my walk-in-closet. For that small space two 65W would have worked great as I couldn't fit that many plants in there anyway. But before I got to try it out I had to move... Into a house... With a quite large basement :) Great, only problem was that I now needed more lights for the room I was planning to grow in. So I went out on Bonsai Hero's website to purchase more of them. Now they had added a new one, a 80W panel, so I bought 4 of these. I planned to use one of the 65W's for two mothers and the rest (1 65W & 4 80W) for the actual grow room (veg and bloom). As you can see on the pictures of my setup - these are suspended from a 2''x2'' with hooks and chains in a row, with the 65W LED on the far left. The rest are the 80W's.

A new constellation like in the pic above would mean a better usage of the lights I think. The problem will be when I take clones from the 3 mothers, the next time around. Hopefully I will be able to afford to buy some more lights until then so I can have more plants in the space than just 4. Bonsai Hero have a new LED out now that is 150W instead and I'd like to buy 4 of those :) It would also be interesting to see how much more yield I get with 4 150W LED's next to 4 80W LED's.

Anyway (sorry for rambling on :) ) - this is how things are looking today:

19:th of January (14:th day)

The past week or so I have been giving the seedlings distilled water mixed with Plant Magic's Root Stimulant and this seem to have given the roots a bit of a boost.

I don't have much hopes anymore for the only Ultimate that managed to sprout properly. Its true leaves are beginning to curl downward. See first picture.
    [​IMG]

There's only one White Widow left and it doesn't look all that great to be honest (see second picture). Its cotyledons have shriveled up and died but the true leaves are still green so it is alive. Hopefully it will survive.
    [​IMG]

The White Rhino is a success story though (see third picture). All five sprouted and seem to be thriving. They have all a bunch of roots extruding underneath their rockwool cubes. I am awaiting a delivery of PH- & PH+ so I can transplant them all into coco. I need to lower the PH of my water to 5,8 so I can't plant before I have the PH- in my hands I'm afraid. I had hopes that it would have arrived today but it didn't so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

9. Hello guys! (if anyone is even reading this)

I have a question:

In Jorge Cervantes Ultimate Grow DVD he says that you should transplant late in the day so the plant has all night to recover. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I am about to transplant/plant my seedlings into coco and I was wondering if I should do this in the morning when the lights turn on or wait until the evening just before they go off. Or does it matter at all?

10. Hello guys and sorry for not writing anything for a few days but I've been occupied with lots of different projects, but now it's time to give you an update on what's happening in my grow room.

24:th of January (19:th day)

4 days ago I transplanted all the seedlings into coco and perlite. I mixed a coco bale with 18 liters of water (giving 70 liters of ready coco) and 10 liters of perlite. Then I planted all the rockwool cubes into the medium. I mixed 10 liters of water with 3 ml of Plant Magic Coco Grow A and 3 ml of Plant Magic Coco Grow B + 3 ml of Plant Magic Root Stimulant and soaked all the plants in it and let them drain off all excess nutrient mix. 4 days later here's the result.

The White Rhinos as you can see below are the ones who keep thriving the best of the three strains. They have had a 100% success rate so far, even though as you can see, one of them are a bit brown on the tips of its true leaves which as far as I've understood would indicate that it has gotten too much nutrients or something. But that's kinda' strange since they have all gotten the same amount of nutrients and it's the first time they have received any at all, except for the root stimulant that I gave them during sprouting. Perhaps it's due to something else? Anyway, all of them have a second set of true leaves coming along.
    [​IMG]

What's really nice though is that both the White Widow and the Ultimate seem to be coming along now. The White Widow is stretching its true leaves upward and have a new set of true leaves developing.
    [​IMG]

And even though the Ultimate's first true leaves are still curled downward and it is very small - it has actually started developing a new set of true leaves (perhaps a bit hard to see in this picture but they are there) so it seem to be coming along. So... It would seem as if I will have a mother plant of all three strains after all [​IMG] The Ultimate staying alive is really what makes me most happy as that's the strain I was most interested in due to what Dutch Passion writes about it - connoisseur quality with the highest yielding plant they have in their seed bank. So I was really sad when it seemed that I would lose them all. I just really hope it continues to develop and don't die off.
    [​IMG]

So, I haven't watered them since 4 days ago and as the pots are quite big the coco/perlite mix haven't dried out yet. So should I give them a flush and then give them a new round of nutrients? Or should I wait until the coco have dried a bit more?

11. 26:th of January (21:st day)

Three days ago I flushed the plants with regular water just before they went to "sleep", which they all seem to love.

I realized that I hadn't taken a picture of the entire grow area since I removed the table from the grow room and transplanted the plants into coco and placed them on the floor, so here's how it looks right now.
    [​IMG]

Here are all the White Rhinos posing for a shot
    [​IMG]

And here they are in close-up
    [​IMG]

The White Widow is developing well even though it's not as large as the White Rhinos
    [​IMG]

The Ultimate doesn't look all that "ultimate" perhaps :D But one of the first true leaves that have been curled downward for quite some time stretched itself out again after the water-flush. It's still very small but seem to be doing ok. I guess it will need to get a larger root mass in order to start stretching upward.
    [​IMG]

12. 30:th of January (25:th day)

Hello guys, time for an update from cold and snowy Scandinavia :)

The coco had been drying out since the water flush on the 23:d (7 days ago) and today the coco was dry enough to once again feed them. This time I also added some Plant Magic Magne Cal + to the nutrient mix. I must say that the plants really seemed to love the water flush a week ago as they really started growing quite rapidly directly after.

Here's how they look today, right after feeding them
    [​IMG]

The one on the far right is a bit smaller than the others but looks really good despite its size.

And here is the White Widow and The Ultimate. The Ultimate is by far the smallest one but I'm very happy it seem to be doing ok after all. I didn't think it would survive as it looked very small and curled up for quite some time but the water flush really got it going again.
    [​IMG]

This time around I lowered the strength of the nutrient mix a bit. Instead of adding 3ml to every liter I added 2,5. Hopefully I'll see a bit more action this time. Last time (the first feeding) not that much happened with them. Don't get me wrong, they grew a bit but not that much. They answered a lot more to the water flush after the coco had dried out a bit.

I have ordered an EC-meter now so next feeding I will know more precisely how much I'm feeding them. The EC-meter I've ordered is a HM Digital COM-100
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any experience using this one? I have never used an EC-meter in my life so I have nothing to compare it to.

13. 1:st of January (27:th day)

Hello guys! I hope you all had a nice weekend.

The ladies are growing quite fast and I guess it's soon time to start F.I.M:ing them so I have some questions in regard to this.

Here you can see the whole setup
    [​IMG]

The White Rhinos are really thriving and as you can see the roots have found their way down to the bottom of the pots. This particular Rhino is one of the biggest but all of them have found their way to the drainage holes of their pots. So when would the plants be ready for transplant, when do you know?...
    [​IMG]

...They are also starting on their 4:th nodes and I read somewhere that you can start Topping or F.I.M:ing when the plant has 4 nodes. Is this correct or should I wait for the plant to develop a bit further before bringing out my scissors?...
    [​IMG]

...As you can see the Rhinos are really spreading out
    [​IMG]

The White Widow is also stretching itself and have started developing its 4:th nodes...
    [​IMG]

...It haven't quite developed the same root system as the Rhinos yet but they are peaking out a bit through the drainage holes
    [​IMG]

The Ultimate is of course still a bit behind the others in its development but I definitely see changes from day to day now. Funny that its leaves almost looks like small oak leaves :) It haven't shown any roots at the bottom of its pot yet like the others
    [​IMG]

So, when should I start F.I.M:ing? And when do I know when it's time to transplant them into bigger pots?

And would you recommend F.I.M:ing as a better cropping technique than Topping? I believe I read somewhere that F.I.M:ing reduces the recovery time for the plant after the cut and chances are that you actually get more that two tops while Topping will get you just two tops. Someone in another forum said he actually got 7 tops after F.I.M:ing :) Any thoughts and/or tips about this are more than welcome.

14. BTW:

Is there any point in F.I.M:ing or topping those plants that I plan to use as mothers?

AND - should I transplant the mothers at all? I don't want the mothers to get too tall as I have prepared a closet for them and the ceiling height isn't all that much in there so I'd like to keep the mothers as small as possible.

Any tips or tricks regarding mothers are welcome :)

15. #15 JustLearningLol, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
    If you want to keep a plant small just keep it in a small container! I learned that on the grow I'm doing now. Fimming/Topping are usually used to increase yield by giving you more branches/tops but at the cost of recovery time so if you want more branches to clone from the answer is yes, but it'll be slower going. if you think they're fine then just let em go on naturally

That being said I did just fim my mother plants to keep them smaller for longer

Check out my Grow Diary http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1353460-ThePuffinator's-Perpetual-Grow-LED/CFL

16. #16 Captain Greenbeard, Feb 3, 2015
    Thanks for the advice!

All the plants are beginning to show their roots through the holes in their pots and I'm wondering if I should let the roots keep wandering out of the pots of those I intend to keep as mothers, or if there's some way of halting the roots from "escaping"? Or perhaps it's not really a problem with roots growing out of the pots for mothers as I won't have to transplant them like with the rest of them?

17. #17 JustLearningLol, Feb 3, 2015
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, I think once they reach the bottom they start to grow around rather than down because there are no nutrients for them in the air, mine haven't gone through the bottom of the pot and they're about a month from chop

Check out my Grow Diary http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1353460-ThePuffinator's-Perpetual-Grow-LED/CFL

18. 3:d of February (29:th day)

Yesterday I got the EC-meter I've been waiting for, an HM Digital COM-100 so now I can start measuring the nutrient mix and finally follow Plant Magic's schedule properly. This thing seem to be really promising and of high quality, but then again - what do I know? I have never measured EC/PPM in my entire life
    [​IMG]

I also ordered a bag of Bendz, a tool to aid me when my ladies goes into LST (Low Stress Training)
    [​IMG]

The coco is drying up quite fast since the last feed and all I'm waiting for before I can go ahead and give the ladies their next water flush are my new pots that MUST arrive soon. When I started this grow I bought 14 liter pots that I planned for to be the final pot size for my ladies, but I have since learned from experienced coco growers that you never need to go beyond 6,5 liter pots unless you plan to grow really big plants (which my grow room can't accommodate anyway), and as my ladies are already starting to outgrow their pots I had to order new ones fast. When they arrive I will transplant all the ladies except those that I intend to keep as mothers, those I will keep in their current pots to keep them from getting too big.

Hopefully they will arrive by tomorrow, I don't want the ladies to dry up too much... Nobody likes dried up ladies

19. Thanks, yeah when looking at many other grows where they are using strings and other time consuming techniques to LST their plants I thought these looked a lot simpler and faster. And they only cost $7,12 (6,28€) for a bag with 50 pcs. And when a branch has stabilized itself in the angle of the Bendz you simply remove it and are free to use it in another location, simple.

But then again I haven't used them yet so we'll see if they work like intended.