New to outdoors few ?s

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by EastBayFire510, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 150 gallons

2. Nice, I'm going to order mine soon off amazon. As far as topping from the 7th node to 5th node that means from the main stem, then letting those 2 main grow til the 3rd node and top both of those mains down to the 1st if I got it right? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I really do appreciate your answers.

3. I'm guessing you live in a legal grow state or your neighbors are cool as hell. like I said I'm jealous as
    hell. it must be nice to actually cultivate your crop like you do a regular garden. I use five gallon buckets myself, in case things get tight I can move. I top and prune but nothing like what you've got. good luck.

4. Both, actually haha. Even in california you've got to have cool neighbors. As far as the 5 gallons, that's what I used last year and it wasn't all that bad. I plan to get my 4 plants similar to zombies. (Atleast I'll try)

5. yep thats how i train my outdoor plants just like you said.. i'll put up pics in a couple months..

6. Hey Eastbay. I'm probably not to far from you. As far as outdoor I start them in by March not later than Apr. The longer inside the better start you have but remember that they can easily reach heights of over 10. It all depends on the strain and length of veg. My plants usually start showing pistils in Aug and by Sept they are all deep into flowering. I'm located in VV and am willing to lend you some help. Have you read any grow books? I recommend starting with Ed Rothensal and Jorge Cervantes. Both guys write great grow bibles and are well worth the money. I still reference mine every year. One thing to remember is security. Some people have nothing better to do and will steal your plants and flowers.

7. Can anyone give me some pointers I'm going to grow 50 plants multiple strains mostly hybrids have a couple of extra acres to grow on I will have my first outdoor grow using a supersoil mix and growing in 65 gal smartpots. What can i expect. Thanks

8. I would expect greatness.. 3 pounds per pot if everything goes right..

9. Thanks Zombie1 that means alot coming from you with the monster lady's you grow

10. That's a lot of plants for one person to grow alone. How much experience do you have? I suggest lowering the number of plants until you have a fair amount of experience and help. I would grow less plants but grow them bigger. Too many plants can become an overwhelming amount of work, even more to harvest. Then there's laws to think about. Stick to the state/ local limits to prevent Johnny Law from visiting you. It can get expensive to care for the plants too. You are going to need amendments to brew teas and top dress during the season. Don't forget pest management and other issues that you will surely face. Security should be on the top of the list. Rippers are the biggest threat to your garden followed by police and animals. The garden should be fenced in and security should be established to protect your garden. Cctv, motion detectors, game/trail cameras and so on should be used. Building cages for each plant helps not only support the branches but also makes impossible to steal the whole plant with one cut. If you don't have much experience or help I suggest learning as much as you can before the season starts and keep help limited to those you can trust with you life. . Good luck.

11. that's why I said if everything goes right lol.. rippers cops worms and mites are the enemy..

12. Thanks Kronicly Insane for the advice I have experience growing just not outdoors and with that amount I think I will keep it under 20 for this season but I have all the security worked out I have help from my girlfriend and grandparents lol I know it sounds weird but I have everything prepared just waiting from spring to come what tea would u recommend?

13. #33 EastBayFire510, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    Hey kronic, first off thanks for stopping by. That's something to take into consideration since I was planning on waiting till may. I definitely will have to think this one through, especially since I started them indoors so early. I have yet to read Ed Rothensal's bible and for sure will get the book since I'm already familiar with Jorge Cervantes. I am also very familiar with rippers, living where I do, It's just something to work on. I grew up in my city since the age of 2 and am well known but even that's not a reason to not put up traps/security. Last years harvest went untouched so I'm hoping for another peaceful year. Also, you are very right about the bugs, because I was dealing with caterpillars last year and they nearly destroyed everything. By the way I already started a thread on the 4 ladies if anyone wants to check it out http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/1352930-east-bays-jungle-giants.html

14. I'm looking to do bulk plants too, because our growing season here is really short. 47N and humid/wet climate.

I'm going to remote swampy areas, I'll cut up thin logs to make a rectangle raised beds and put plants 3-4' apart, then fence off the entire row..

A good woodworking japanese saw can carve off branches in 1 swipe and tear through an 8" log in < 30 seconds. Making nice posts, and it's nothing to carry. Could win a sword fight with it too.

11lb blocks of compressed coco coir expand to 17 gallons, so I'll be packing in a lot of it, 20 or more bricks.

Drip water tubing is under $50 for 1000' rolls, pond liners are cheap too and make great reservoirs of any shape.... Filling before season and having an auto watering system ($30 9 volt powered per reservoir) would take away a lot of the labor. If there's a water source a couple hundred meters away you can rent a small 4 stroke (quiet) water pump (under 50 lbs) for $25-$40 per day to move water quickly to your reservoir once or twice a year. Gas is light and they pump thousands of gallons per gallon.

15. Growing indoor is way different than outdoor. I suggest you read up on outdoor growing and what it takes. Outdoor growing has challenges that you don't experience indoors.

16. Just because people know you it doesn't stop them from jacking you. Those that know you are those most likely to rip you. Even those with major security have been ripped. Always take appropriate precautions.

17. I have been reading grow bibles from Jorge and Ed for awhile now and I study growing outdoors everyday I dont have to work so I pretty much dedicate my time to my family and growing marijuana it's good to be on here to talk to people that loves it as much as I do I strive to learn as much as I can about it from guys like you and Zombie1 that are willing to help

18. Yeah..I kind of explained that. I will be taking serious precautions. At the same time coming from where I do, I'm not somebody the youngsters target. There are some of us who aren't as worried about security as others.

19. Well I'm always down to answer any questions you have. I have no problem helping someone out as long as they are willing to put in the work to do reading and work on their own. No totally free handouts. Everyone should learn the basics themselves and not expect people on these forums to give you all the answers. You sound like you are headed in the right direction and learning on your own. To grow quality meds you need good genetics, experience and knowledge. The more you know the less issues you will have. When you do have issues you will have an idea how to fix things. I suggest reading grow journals from growers from last season. They can give you some ideas on what works and don't. The more tool in your toolbox the better your garden will be.

20. Hi, I know you have already gotten several replies but I wanted to make sure you get accurate and detailed info so you don't ruin your first outdoor crop. I initially didn't know enough about flowering times, clones vs seed, etc for my first grow and ended up having plants that flowered early at 1-2 ft tall instead of 6+.

1) What makes an outdoor plant begin flowering?
    Answer: A mature outdoor plant will begin flowering when the days reach somewhere around 14 hours of daylight and 10 hours of darkness. The indoor 12/12 schedual was developed to make plants flower faster, but has little relevance outdoors. Which brings me to your next question.

2) Do you count flowering by weeks outdoors?
    Answer: No, not really. Flowering takes longer outdoors because it happens more gradually on natures time frame. Just watch the plant for signs of readiness like fattened calyxes and brown pistils, cloudy/amber trichs.