New to outdoors few ?s

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by EastBayFire510, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Hello everybody. I'm new to outdoors because I finally have the chance to put a few outside. Anyway, I've grow indoors a couple of times now but never outdoor. My question is, what exactly determines the plant's deciding factor to start flowering. Also, do I start marking the days of flowering as soon as I see signs or do I just wait till october/november like the strain ad's say. I started vegetating my 4 plants at the beginning of december indoors. What month should I start introducing them to the outside? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Im not sure where you are located, but you can introduce them to outside when you no longer have frost. 

Flowering starts when the daylight hours become less than 12/12. You can count how many weeks it takes to flower from when you find the first signs of flowering, ie; pistols or hairs

hope that helps a little :)

3. I'm in the east bay area in northern california. I figured as much. Thanks for answering as best as you could.

4. check out the Norcal topic on here, and pop them a question. just be nice and you will get a good answer

5. #5 kygiacomo, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    my plants flowers way before 12.12 ever strats..all my plants start flowering around august 1-5th no matter what strain it is..im at 37.5 lat it dont apply to outdoor

6. #6 New Destination, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    You can start them outdoors when the daylight starts getting longer March 22nd or later. I usually start mine in ground March 25th-30th. You begin to see preflowers around late July or August and the plants usually finish flowering from September to October. 

12/12 is for indoor and does not apply to outdoor as the plants start to flower before this. 

7. All great information thanks guys. Think I'll throw them outside at the end of march. One last question I have is how tall can I expect the stretchiest plant to get since I've been vegetating since december?

8. depends on the strain..most my plants that i grow end up around 8-13 foot tall with the majority around 9-10 foot..there is quite a few things that rely on how tall it gets like how much sun it gets,genetics proper feeding etc

9. I see. I've got 3 indica dominants and 1 sativa dom. I know sativas can get that tall but can I expect my indicas to around that tall. If I may ask, on average how much do you pull off the 10 footers?

10. it all really depends on genetics..my 10 footer delahaze i got 14oz off it dry..what specific strains do u have?

11. Nice, first time hearing of delahaze. What are the genetics?
    The 4 that will go outside are White Critical (White widow x critical +), Critical Kush (Critical mass x og kush) i may be wrong here, Seedism Cheese, and Blueberry Pie (blueberry x cherry pie x gsc) from what harborside told me.

12. I think with the four plants you have going now, you could use those for a spring harvest and start 4 more in march.. we call this spring harvest a light depo, depo meaning deprovation.. manipulating light.. what you want to do is veg those 4 plants under 18 on 6 off light schedule.. this will keep them in "veg" not "flower".. I'd personally try to get them into 7 gallon pots by febuary.. now at the end of march we get some nice spring weather.. this is after the last freeze.. same time people plant tomatoes and veggies.. what you want to do at that time is switch them or as we say "flip" them into flower by changing the light cycle to 12 hours on, 12 hours off.. this will start them flowering after about 10 days.. so you'll wake up in the morning and put your plants out at 7am, then bring them into a complete dark space like garage or shed for the night at 7 pm.. if you are under a little on 12 hours light on that's fine, but don't let them go over 12 hours light on.. if you got them nice and big in 7 gallon pots i'd expect 2-4 ounces of each plant.. :bongin: possibly a half pound !

13. That's a possibily with a couple other smaller clones. I've decided to veg. These 4 inside til mid may. I want to aim for some tall trees this october.

14. tall isn't better at all, the guy above talking 14 ozs off a 10 foot plant.. that's terrible, I run 8 foot plants and get 4 to 5 pounders.. I thought I would be nice and answer some of your questions but it sounds like you got all the answers already! :hello:
    [​IMG]

15. I was thinking that 10 footer was a low yielding strain like the cookies plant, 14 oz would be impressive. Those are the beasts I was talking about, lol. From what I read my cheese plant likes to get real wide like that lady you got there. Really good job on that monster lol got me all excited now.

16. you gotta train them to do this.. its not natural..

17. I'm new here and was just looking around. saw the pics posted by zombie1 , WOW. GOOD FUCKING JOB. I'm jealous as hell. man I can't wait for spring to get here

18. I see some netting and what looks like LST? How'd you do it?

19. #19 Zombie1, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    its like a 6 month long process.. I started my seeds in feb.. when they got to 7 nodes high, i topped it down to the 5th node.. that creates two tops with four sets underneath coming up.. as soon as the 2 new tops got to 3 nodes high, i topped them both back to the first node.. that creates four main tops coming up with four lower branches at about the same height.. inside those plants are 4 tposts staked in just on the outside of those 150 gallon smart pots.. attatched to the tpost is a circle of hog wire (wire fencing with large square holes).. now that i have an "even canopy" i can start to train.. i train the branches outward and wide thru the hole in the fencing.. this opens the plant for sun to break thru the canopy, allowing for side branching off the tops you trained thru the fence.. when side branches come up, feed those thru the side too.. pretty soon you got a beast.. 

the netting was a second trellis for extra wind support..

20. Wow! And I'm over here thinking all I had to do was pop my seeds in december and wait till may lol. I'm definitely going to try this man. Thanks a lot for breaking this down. I got one more question for yah. Each of your plants is grown in 15 gallon smart pots?