Northern Lights Auto-fem Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ebcrew, Jan 13, 2015.

1. #1 Ebcrew, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
    This is my first autoflower grow so i decided to make a journal for myself to keep track, but for others to follow if they would like.
    \nIm only doing one plant for now, closet grow.
    \nContents of Grow:
    \n
    • 1 Northern Lights Autoflower Feminized (Royal Queen Seeds purchased from the Vault
    • Added a second seed same strain
    • 5 Gallon pot (not really sure it might be more, but its plenty for 1 auto)
    • Fox Farm Ocean Forest Soil with added Miracle Grow perlite.
    • Fox Farm Grow Big liquid fertilizer 6-4-4 (will purchase Tiger Bloom soon)
    • Tap water pH'd
    • 5 42w and 2 32w and 1 65w just added (Monster CFL!)
    I think thats all. So i have the NL seed germinating using damp power towel method, has a 100% success rate for me so no need to change style.
    \nWill be taking pictures within the hour of my setup and will be updating constantly.
    \nAdvice and/or constructive criticism welcomed, will only help me in long run.
    \nI dont think ive forgotten anything.
    \n\nSo ive decided to add a second seed in the soil because i was unsure the 1st one was going to make it because of the hot soil i put her in (Ocean Forest w/ perlite). The second seed is planted in a mixture of 85% organic potting soil and 15% left over mixture of miracle grow and perlite. Also the seed is potted in a smaller pot. As this was a backup it now becomes an experimental plant due to the soil/different size pot to see which one yields it the most. My theory is that the 1st seed in the ocean forest will produce more.

Attached Files:

2. You gonna plant it in a solo cup to start then transplant to the 5gal? That'd be my suggestion anyway. Maybe a week or 2 in the cup.

Starting it in the 5 gal. Ive heard people say thats the way to go since autos dont like any stress

4. I've transplanted plenty of autos. I just cut the cup, peel it back and pull the root mass and everything.

Yeah they don't like stress but some common sense can prevent that. You don't wanna turn it upside down to get the plant out or shake it or anything obviously.

You also read not to top them or LST? Seen all that BS on here too lol.

I think it's more a pain to take care of a tiny seedling in a big pot that's why I asked lol.

Yeah ive read no to do any kind of training not even LST. Do you have any experience training autos? Drop some knowledge on me. I was thinking of trying LST myself anyway but not topping.

6. #6 Ebcrew, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    Update:

I started germinating last night at 6pm, i just checked on the seed and nothing yet. 

Edit: so its 1/14 4am and i was up taking a piss and checked on the seed and it just barely started popping out, i decided to leave it and wait until the morning to plant.

Attached Files:

7. I top and LST them. The auto I have now was topped twice lol. I'll post a pic up here in a bit but she's pretty good for a 3 gal. She'd be better if she was under my hps instead of the T5 haha.
    You can treat it like a normal plant, you just can't push it too hard too fast is all.
    And even then sometimes they're genetic freaks. I had 2 autos turn out to be the size of a pop can and that was when I started in 3gal and didn't top or anything. They just never grew any larger for whatever reason.

8. Here she is, don't mind the mess. She'll be at 90 days tomorrow. Gonna say she has a little time left still. 1421248161230.jpg

9. woah lol looks really good, how did you create so many colas?

10. update:  Only been in the soil for a day or so, but im getting worried the soil dried out a bit. My last seed, which looked like a healty bag seed, germinated but never made it I found it a few days later all shriveled up in the soil.

Any suggestions on if i should wet the soil a little bit or let it ride until it pokes out the soil.  Also im having a brain fart, should i have the lights on or off?

11. Updated: seed, with some help is finally popping out of the soil. 

I added some reflective material. Couldnt find mylar anywhere so an emergency blanket will have to do until i can get some mylar

Also i added this monster CFL 65w 300equivalent

Attached Files:

12. #12 Ebcrew, Jan 17, 2015
    I was nervous about the soil being to hot but it looks like shes going to be alright. Popping out of the soil.

Attached Files:

13. #13 Ebcrew, Jan 18, 2015
    Update: Whats new? 1/17

• Couldnt find mylar at my local shop so i used an emergency blanket instead.
    • Added a 2nd seed to the dirt after successful germination. This time im using organic soil mixed with a little left over miracle grow and perlite.
    • 2nd Seed is also in a smaller pot, for experimental purposes and also because thats the only one left sitting around.
    I wish there was an easy way to tell how many gallons the pots are. I cannot tell without adding the water to the pot before hand which isnt possible right now as they are full. When i bought the pots at home depot they didnt have a specific gallon measurement instead measured by circumference i believe.

I added the 2nd seed because i was unsure if the first one was going to grow, but so far #1 is doing fine.

14. Plant 1:  7 Days old. Bent a little toward the light, no worries though.

#2 a few days old, looking good so far

Attached Files:

15. I got a northernlights auto to it loves being lst`ed but its going on 9 weeks nd still no flower just showed sex at 6 weeks but they said it was an auto from herbies

Attached Files:

16. U can order myler on amazon nd its not that pricy

17. Little update:

Plant 1 is 14 days: started LSTing plant. So this plant is with FFOF soil and big grow fert and is noticeably bigger then 2nd plant (9days) which is same strain in organic soil, no nutes. 

Attached Files:

18. Sorry about your first seedling. Your NL looks nice! Very vibrant

19. Update:

NL #1 is growing like crazy at 20 days old. it is recieving big bloom and grow big. and it is being LSTd right now.

NL#2 was in the cheap soil and stopped growing at 2inches, i transplanted it into better soil (happy frog), and it looks like the color is coming back, fingers crossed

I started 2 new plants Bubba kush, still a seedling and amnesia x pink diesel fem still germinating

I also added a 3 light T8 fixture at 102 watts. 2 sets of bulbs right now i have 2 6500k and 1 2700k. When it flowers 2 2700k and 1 6500k going on.

Attached Files:

20. What light schedule are you on? Looking good on that first auto NL!

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum