Crafty owners Broken crafty Is this common?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Amanalki, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Bought it on the 3rd of Jan, the device itself is excellent but the on off switch has stopped working already. I have herd nothing but how solid this company's products are, so after paying £220 for it to break so soon is blood boiling.
    It has had very mild use and treated with more respect and more delicately than I do my own gf (joke, calm down)
    Any one else know if this is a common problem or am I just unlucky as hell???

2. #2 lwien, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
    There's been some recent reports of problems with both the Mighty and the Crafty over at FC.    

While the honeymoon phase with the new S&B portables were running rampant over there, I knew that this honeymoon phase wouldn't last forever and that problems would soon arise.    It's what typically happens when a brand new product is introduced.   New adopters need to be aware that there is always a ticket to be paid by being one and that they are basically beta testers in the process of a manufacturer making running production changes during the growing pains.     It's a very common occurrence.

One saving grace here though is that S&B has been in the vaporizer game for a very long time.   They have built a solid reputation for customer service over the years and as such, should be able to deal with these issues without too much pain being put on those early adopters.

3. Makes sense when you put it like that, can't say am not a little disappointed but I will just have to hope there customer service is as good as have herd. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
    Just out of interest do you know if the issues they have been experiencing are mainly the same issue ,ie the button, or is there more problems that have been reported?
    Thanks again for the reply

4. #4 lwien, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015

More problems than just the button issue.  

Problems with the casing cracking apart where the cooling unit fits on top.   Battery problems.  Software issues, etc etc.    It seems to be running the gamut.   Now granted, there are also many who have not reported any problems what so ever.    With brand new product like this, its comes down to a roll of the dice.

I remember when the Mighty and Crafty were first introduced, I mentioned the concerns about being an early adopter, but some replied and said, "Hey, this is S&B were talking about here.   They don't put out faulty product on the market.    They have the wherewithal to do all of the beta testing prior to release.   Hell, look at the Volcano."    To which I replied that ALL companies, no matter how good they are, will experience issues with new product that they will have to address and that includes S&B.

5. It was there reputation based n the volcano that persuaded me to go with them for a new portable as I lost my davinci ascent around the time the crafty was released. just my luck to be honest, no complaints at all when it's working and I can honestly say it beats my old ascent in my opinion.
    I will just have to hope and have faith in there customer service whilst going they don't release a better version in the next 6 month or so. Disappointing but hopefully rectifiable

6. #6 lwien, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015

I don't think that you'll have to worry about them releasing a better version.   What they will do is make running improvement changes to their existing models and typically, those improvements are made without any public announcements as to when or what those improvements are.

Here are a couple of pics of the cracking cases I'm talking about.    Looks like what's happening is that there is resin build up that happens at the bottom of the cooling unit and when the unit cools down and when a user tries to disengage the cooling unit to reload the bowl.............carrrack....So, if it were me, I would make sure that when I was reloading, I would do it with the unit heated up before I removed the top.

For more info on this, you may want to pay a visit over to FC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. This is a huge shame and something I really hope they address. How do they make these changes without it been public knowledge? Do they just make the changes as and when they receive faulty units? Than you for your knowledge, I don't know where you find this information but am struggling to find many things crafty related on my search's, very much appreciated. Thanks
    Also regarding fc I joined tonight but it says I don't have enough privileges to post, what ever that means!!

8. #8 lwien, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015

If enough units come back with the exact same problem, they will make running production changes to address them so they don't crop up again.

But I need to repeat.    There are many owners of both the Crafty and the Mighty who are totally satisfied with no issues reported.

9. Reassuring to know in a way as it's the only option I have now since I am a crafty owner. Thanks for all your time and information on the Matter,it is highly appreciated, guess I Best make that dreaded email to storz & bickle and go back to combustion for a little while

10. I have had two Crafty vaporizers so far that the on/off button went bad. On the second unit
    a month before it died, it would sometime power up in normal more or boost at random and
    you could not change it. The power cord connection starts to get wapped out. I am hoping my
    3 unit will be mailed to me today. S&B swaps them out with no issues. They are not putting
    new buttons on them so I am prepared for #4.

I like the unit but has the below issues.

The power button will fail.

The power connector on the unit is USB and an not take the stress when used in
    bypass mode.

I am not sure if it is me but I believe the first unit was a better smoke than unit
    number 2. It seems unit number 2 did not give as dense hits and was harsh.

11. I received my 3rd unit Thursday. I am very confident the unit #2 had heating issues. The smoke was
    harsh and the rape was not dense. Additionally, the spend herb did not burn evenly. Unit number
    3 the spend herb is all light brown.

The cooling tower on unit #3 is thinner to allow heat to dissipate, the heating
    element is more sensitive so when you draw on it so you do not need to
    keep pressing the on/off button to keep it on and interior pasts have been upgraded too.

I am very happy with it !

I purchased and Ascent vape 18 months ago. I am on my 5th unit. I like the Ascend but it
    takes more herb and needs to be cleaned daily.

12. #12 Dr.JCA, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    My recently purchased Crafty (just over 1 month old) is already faulty -- red/ orange alternating lights and then total shut down.

I just purchased the separate S+B battery pack and plugging the unit in for the first time seemed to do it, although according to the store (Vapefiend) this is just a coincidence?

S+B seem fine to deal with (could not get through via phone) but I opted to process the warranty through the store/ vendor, as shipping electronic equipment out of the UK is problematic. S+B did end up generating a UPS pickup that might have remedied this but  communications were not all that clear (had I known I would not have sent to the store).

I am pretty upset about this outcome. The vape quality is fantastic but the battery life is abysmal and now this -- beginning to regret the purchase.

Oh well -- we'll have to see how this pans out. 

13. <sup>The on/off button is going out on my 3rd unit. It is pushed in. I am treating it very gingerly. I am going to call S&B today to </sup>
    <sup>get a shipping label sent to me. I do not want to pay the 6 dollar shipping cost again. Per the above message, my unit sometimes </sup>
    <sup>starts flashing red/blue but turning it of corrects the problem. I love the vap quality and it make your herb last 3 time as long as if </sup>
    <sup>you smoked it. </sup>

14. My third unit failed. I will be receiving my 4th by the end of the week.

15. I am on my 4th unit. The unit is the same out of the box so I was confident
    it would not last. A week later and the unit is unstable. The first sigh of things
    going south is the unit goes directly to boost mode when you first turn it on. The
    on/off button is already mashed in and unstable. The unit is wonderful when it works.

16. That sucks. I haven't had any issues with my mighty have you considered trading in your crafty I know you could pay a cash difference and they will send you back a mighty

17. Trading it in for a Mighty is a good idea.

How long have you had your mighty? Is the on/off button mashed in?

I got my first Crafty in November. I have read the mighty does not have issues.
    It is hard to believe as they share the same parts, not to mention the poor quality on/off switch.
    I think the problem may be circuit board is on the very bottom gets hot. I think the
    semiconductors can not take the heat. They did odd things before for a couple of weeks before
    dying.

Check this link out. A guy takes the crafty apart. I think it looks cheep like a CFL light
    bulb circuit board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXTBxBrh2AA

18. My 4th Ascend vape stopped working. I asked the manufacture for a
    return shipping label and the lady said she would check on it. 3 days,
    2 phone calls and 3 e-mails I have no label. I wish they had the balls upfront
    to tell you they do not provide shipping labels. They refurbish them and do not
    send new replacements anymore.

net of the net ....

Ascend sucks !

19. Bought mine in Feb. and it just gave me the red/orange light show last week...........The unit itself is the sheeeeit........hope its just bugs because the unit when functioning is in a class by itself.......as far as customer service goes........I never emailed or talked to anyone(didnt try or have to).....just sent mine in.....they got it on tuesday......mailed me a new one on wed.......and it is currently on a mail truck to my house.......4 day turnaround with no hassle.........so if you have to send it in...dont fret cause the turnaround should be quick.....I'm on the east coast by the way...........I'm gonna give this another try and hope this one lasts.........I hope 50 hours is not the breaking point of such an expensive machine.........having to replace the battery because of time(fine).......the device just haywire and not functioning(not fine)..........but at the end of the day....Very pleased with S&B as a whole.........

20. My 4th crafty was acting up. The vibrator stopped working and when starting a charge it would flash blue/red. When I plugged it  
    in again is was OK. The problem has gone away for now.