Tie down method

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DropAcid_Not_Bombs, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Your plant will stretch up have no doubt about that, I would just keep it staked and tied down if the stalk is weak. You will be amazed how much taller it still grows from where u have it staked/tied down. My stalk made a complete sideways S and was perfectly fine. My stalk however you could have used for a catapult it was so strong, or bow and and arrow perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. That sounds awesome! The benefits of LST indeed. I wish I had started a little sooner. I was actually planning on doing and S but my plant seemed to want to do a loop so I just went with it. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422073017.277459.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422073045.733893.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422073083.816296.jpg
    Im in the process of bringing the loop in a little tighter. I tighten my nots every day bringing it in just a little closer. I gotta say the stem has thickened up a lot in some places. And my branches have grown a lot, and I'm getting more tops than I thought. By harvest I'm guessing I'm guna have like 12 or so healthy tops. The branches are skinny but I'm figuring if I support them and LST my plant then I can get a decent yield.

"We made nature illegal. This just shows how unnatural we have become"

3. Yes go with what the plant tells you. And the stem will indeed thicken, from the stress and training.

Sent from....

4. I know earlier you said you are good with knots. But string and twine are the worst things to use to hold a plant down, they will cut into the stalk and damage it. Unless you are readjusting the strings at least every day then you may be ok. I wouldn't leave it tied in the same position for a week tho.

Sent from....

5. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into some better things to tie down. What do you think about zip ties? I have a bunch and I know that some people use those to tie down. I was thinking about using hemp wick to tie down but I can't imagine that's much better than regular string or twine.

6. I have used zip ties, I just wouldn't use them to pull super tight or if the plant grows to the point where the zip tie is applying pressure all the way around stem then I would cut it and put a new one on. This is what I use. Comes it two different gauges I use both. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422113940.044330.jpg

Sent from....

7. #27 kwsg, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    I bought a roll at my local hydro the other day, it's the bigger gauge 50' for $7, Growone is the company I just bought

Sent from....

8. I use soft green wire, house electric wire, and zip ties. A lot of times I make a little slice in my fabric pot an inch down and put a zip tie thru it and leave it, then attach my wire(soft green or electrical depending on age and strength of plant) with a hook bent in the end. Or I take a piece of wire and bend one end around stalk at bottom then other end to location I want to hold or manipulate whatever

Sent from....

9. That soft twist tie looks like it works great. If I can get my hands on some I will definitely use those. If I had smart pots I would probably do the same, I have it in a hard pot and I don't feel like putting holes in it. Instead I used the 4 stakes and the cookie cooling rack for all my guiding, I gotta say the 4 stakes are kinda getting in the way now that my plant is filling out a bit and I'm thinking about getting rid of them and using the rack for all my tie downs.

10. You would just have to make long pieces of the green wire to use the rack.

Sent from....
    My local hardware store sells the green wire in summer time. Also you can get it on amazon

Sent from....

11. I'll have to order some then. I see what you were saying about the twine though! I do adjust my ropes often but not often enough, there is some bruising where I had a few of the ties, the ones that take the most pressure.

12. Exactly you wanna avoid that, string or twine can cut right thru a stalk it branch and sever it off.

Sent from....

13. Ok so I moved the string from the spot I originally had it, like I said, there was some damage. And since I had moved the string I was working on the plant and adjusting the strings. It snapped where the string had weakened it unfortunately. I cut it right below the snap and still have 4 branches. You think it's worth re-veging and letting my plant get bigger and flowering in a couple months? I have learned a lot so I think this might be a good way of rethinking my setup and optimizing it with everything I learned. If I reveged I would order some green sand and use that along with kelp meal and alfalfa meal in my FF happy frog soiless mix. In that bag of mix I added roots from old plants along with clippings. They are all at the bottom of the bag. I try to keep it moist. I'm then in a month or so guna repot into a 3 gallon smart pot and use a perlite watering method. All while LST, considering scrog. If I give up on this plant im applying all of this to the next plants I start.

14. Take a pic and let me see the damage, yes it is probably save able not sure if it is worth it or not. Is it bag seed or something good?

Sent from....

15. I'm supriaed the string cut thru that fast if you were repositioning all the time, although that's why your not supposed to use it.

Sent from....

16. Well it didn't entirely cut through it. For the first few weeks of LST I had been tightening and loosening strings but I hadn't moved it from its actual spot. The stem was already pretty skinny and weak for how tall it was and everything so I wasn't entirely that surprised when it snapped. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422376472.112614.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422376521.750136.jpg

17. It's not a bag seed either, which has me wondering if I should at least see if it herms in a couple weeks of veg. Cuz if it doesn't that would be amazing. It's a sativa dominant strain from the dispensary but the strain name slips me.

18. I would try and save it then, or you could flower it with what you got. I don't think it will herm being that it is still in veg. Or did you flip to flower already? If so just keep flowering it, I think if you flip it back to veg you will have more of a chance of it being herm I would think. I don't know tho

Sent from....

19. #39 kwsg, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    I Just looked at pics, you need to just keep flowering and hope for a 1/4 or half maybe. Now that half the plant has been cut away it will focus all its energy on the remaining buds therefor they will grow bigger then they would have. It's not a total loss but def. sucks.

Sent from....

20. What for light are u using? I used CFLs only last grow and didn't have that bad of stretch, no where near

Sent from....