Tie down method

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DropAcid_Not_Bombs, Jan 11, 2015.

1. So I have one sativa plant about a week and a half into flowering. It's growing pretty good except the stem looked a little skinny. I decided to tie it down today so the plant could focus less on growing upwards and more on improving main stock and branches. The plant itself is around 18inches. The only thing is I'm not entirely familiar with the tie down method and I'm not sure where to go from here. This is one of my first grows, although I have some previous experience so throughout my grow I've been trying to keep it pretty simple, until now at least. Now that it will start budding I'm a little scared for how skimpy the plant is, I'm not sure it could support buds that well even though I have a whiles to go till then.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1420947591.957903.jpg

"We made nature illegal. This just shows how unnatural we have become"

2. Any good ideas of how I could train my girl? Is it possible to tie down and let her back up later once she gets some thickness to her stem? Or are does anyone have any good tie down techniques I could use for her? I can't bring her all the way down to the pot or she will snap, she is a little old and I'm having trouble finding good techniques for starting off with a larger plant.

3. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1420954185.093464.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1420954229.546807.jpg

4. #4 Ebcrew, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
    curious whats your lighting and soil accommodations?

also what strain is it?

I dont wanna sound like a jerk because this is a learning process. Your plant looks a little weak, im thinking not enough lighting. :confused_2:  Because it looks like it stretched awfully fast. Also if its not an autoflowering strain you should of kept it in veg and done the LST there. Im no expert but thats my 2 cents.

5. My lighting is actually fairly good. It's a 150 watt HPS light which can support up to two plants to harvest. The problem was it needed to be transplanted for awhile. I was plant sitting this plant and I didn't want to use my own soil and stuff but they ended up just giving me it. So I transplanted it and it shot up so quick. It was at a stand still for so long. Like 2+ week, that when I transplanted it, it was compensated for all that lost time. I'm using fox farms happy frog soil with some bone meal and blood mean for a bit of fertilizer. I had two plants for awhile so I needed to flower early as I didn't have the space to veg much longer. Now I have more space and time so I'm considering reveg. I just took a clone incase it herms. I'm unsure of the strain, I'm guna have to ask if my friend knows. I know it's medical and sativa dominant. She got the seed from the dispensary.

6. Plant concentrates most of its energy into top tip,so if you bend your top down lower than The other top Will be dominant, keep doing it until you get what u want,here is some pics of my plant i lstd

Attached Files:

7. Thanks for the pictures and info! Here's and updated picture. The top has started to fold up. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1421002347.020577.jpg

8. I use #10 electric wire and make a stake out of it then bend a hook on top where I want plant bent down to and hook plant in hook, make sure wire is pushed in dirt real far or it will pull it up out

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I've heard of this method before but I much prefer twine. I mainly like it since I know my way with nots and I can make the entire thing adjustable. I have a tie on the main stem towards the bottom to keep the stem at a 90 degree towards the dirt. It was bending an awful lot at the dirt level. Now instead all the bend is higher up. That leads me to my second tie which is just at the tip and is tied down to the drying rack I have the plant on, I made a pulley out of some zip ties. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1421107206.848887.jpg

10. Also I have 4 bamboo steaks fastened around my pot. I will be using these to guide the plant and give it support in places when needed.

11. Looks good to me

12. Can't do to much when you're starting so late. Start earlier, if you want to see what it can look like check out my thread ^.^

13. Yeah, it seems to be taking pretty well to it. Stems is getting thicker in some areas and other branches are doing very well. Mainly what I was wondering is would it stress the plant to LST but let it back up once I have achieved the results I want? I've seen people do spirals and stuff around pots which is cool but it's just too late for me to do that clearly. So I figured I would tie her down and let her back up in a couple weeks.

14. Just keep it tied down, it will continue to stretch back up to the light, if you are trying to control height you will def want to keep it tied down, if you are doing this to help it fill out and grow more branches(LST) it is def to late for that since you are flowering. I had a sative dominant plant last grow and all others were indica, I had to keep it tied down the whole time they flower and keep staking it down until I was over half way thru flower, they are very strong and want to reach towards the light, my point is if you don't keep it staked or tied down in some way it will straighten back out

15. I had to re stake it three times from the original first time and I basically did a spiral with it around the pot, it was the two main tops and it actually worked out well cause then all nodes ended up being tops basically because they were all horizontal growing from the same height. The plant on the right is the one I'm referring to, all those tops you see are all from the two main top branches I tied down and spiraled around, I basically got over a dozen "tops" instead of only two ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1421165085.884058.jpg

16. That's mainly what I was unsure of. I didn't know if it could straighten back out on its own without getting kinks and stuff in the stem. Can a tied down plan go all the way through flower? Or does it have to straighten out at some point?

17. Nope go all the way thru flower, I didn't have any problems and like I said, I continued to stake it even as it kept growing and stretching wanting the light, it was like a crack addict after a two day bender

18. I also ended up having to stake lower branches as they reached up to the top and was wanting to go towards light

19. Thanks for the advice, your girls look beautiful!! I honestly wanna personally thank you, you've been posting on a lot of my threads and you have been very helpful. Not a lot of people take their time to help out newbies like myself. I'm really liking how my girl is growing right now so I'm guna keep her staked down for awhile. I have more room for upwards growth than I do for outwards growth so I might have to let her up at some point to accommodate my grow space. It's 2x2 towards but I got a good 5 feet stretching up.

20. Don't let my knowledge or answers fool you I am a newbie myself, I just try and educate myself every way I can, and am always willing to answer a question I feel comfortable answering. I like to treat others the way j wanna be treated and not have my questions or concerns be laughed at.

I have grown outdoors before years ago, but I am only on technically my third indoor grow