Whats wrong with your car? *GrassCity Garage*

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Are you having brake problems? I mean a shop will say this and that should be replaced but that does not mean they NEED to be replaced. On my car I'll change pads and rotors for under $100. What kinda car and mileage do you have?

2. #142 Bob Barker, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    I brief search about your tracker brings up starting problems b/c of a faulty CAM SENSOR.

3. no brake problems as of yet but I did hear some slight squeeking ona turn, like 1x an thought that might be it. Not sure though, don;t know shit about cars!! my car has about 150,000 miles on it so far

4. What's the make and model?
    800$ ?!? carbon ceramic rotors or somthin lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. buick lesabre i think lol

6. That shop is doing WAY more work then what if anything needs to be done. There are tabs on your brake pads that will squeek almost constantly when they are starting to get low. You should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the front or rear. If this noise rarely happens it might be nothing to worry about.

What kinda car do you have? It is very easy to check your front brake pads. We can help you. The main thing is jacking up your car and taking your wheel off. Whats crazy is after that there are about 4 bolts and your caliper is off!

I prefer mom and pop shops if I'm going to have them fix something. Get a quote from them on what needs to be done. I just paid $20 to have a muffler welded on and the shop provided a great used muffler....thats a deal!

7. For $800 they'd better overhaul the entire system!!! Pads, rotors, calipers, lines - EVERYTHING
    9 times out of 10 a set of front pads is all you need. Generally you'll replace the front pads two or three times before you need to do the rear. As long as theres no metal to metal contact, rotors should last 200-250K+. Unless they're warped (Car shakes/pulses under braking) or severely scored, or obviously very thin, I do not usually suggest replacing them. The best way to tell if they're the proper thickness is with a pair of calipers vs. the according spec., but most shops will just try to sell you the job without checking.
    As the above poster stated smaller shops will usually work for a bit cheaper. Some online sleuthing of the reviews of shops in the area can help in making a smart decision.

8. Bumpin this bee-otch....
    Garage is open!!

9. Maybe someone can help me? I've been doing work on my own cars for years with my father who is a mechanic of 30 years, but we are stumped.

I was given a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix gt that sat in the guys yard for a few months. When we put the car in reverse it makes a loud grinding sound but only when going straight. If I zig zag backing up the sound will stop. We thought it was the brakes that needed to just be used due to rust but it's still happening. Other than this car is completely quite and shifts nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I have headlight problems with my 1994 civic hatchback. It first started out with my headlights(low beam) randomly turning of 1-2 times on a 30 minute drive. When they would die I would flick my high beam switch a couple times and my low beams would turn back on.This trick does not work anymore and I have no low beams and only high beams.

I think my headlight switch is bad. I found replacements online for $40.

2nd opinions?

[​IMG]

11. I'm taking a shot in the dark but I would think it has something to do with your differential.

12. #152 ImTheJoker4u2, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
    I would check your engine and transmission mounts.

**Make sure you chock the wheels before testing**

Open the hood and have an assistant stand at the front SIDE of the vehicle.

Put the car in *D* and with one foot on the accelerator, and one HARD on the brake, GENTLY give it a little gas. Have an assistant note how much the engine moves.
    Duplicate the procedure for *R*

If the engine moves more than 3" from *D* to *R* You should replace the mounts.

They're not expensive, and not very hard to change with basic hand tools. It will take an amateur about 4 hours to do the job with hand tools.
    Parts: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Could be the switch, or a short somewhere (rare).
    Check out some Honda forums to see its a common problem too.

My second Lincoln had a strange electrical problem that a forum member solved, that I dont think ANYONE else would have known how to fix....

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php...

13. It's 1800 miles away...

14. Ummm....What?
    Ya lost me...

15. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1436475934.717566.jpg what's wrong with it?

Jk, freshly crashed td. Rear ended someone because my shoes were wet and slipped off the brake. Gonna be broke

16. Looks like your gonna need new muffler bearings boss. You install those with a left handed monkey wrench. Top off the headlamp fluid too. You may have lost some in the accident.

17. ^^^While thats pretty funny^^^

In all seriousness...

Looks like you'll need a bumper & cover/supports, grille/supports, and judging from the puddle under it, a new radiator/supports.
    Looks like you may have bent the radiator/core support too, but its hard to tell from the pic.

Actually it looks like you avoided a lot of serious damage. When I had to repair my Grand Prix I had all that + the hood, a fender, and all the lights and supports to replace :eek:
    THAT was a serious job.
    You might be able to find a lot of what you need on the cheap @ Rockauto.com

I hope that it goes without saying but,
    DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE WITH LEAKING COOLANT!!!
    Eventually you'll overheat it and do A LOT more damage.

Good luck!! :)

18. Good man for reccomending rockauto... That's my go to Parts place... Im done messing around now. I will help to the fullest of my ability

19. I'd also check ebay and the local pull yard. Might find parts with the same paint color.

20. For sure - Good advice!!