Whats wrong with your car? *GrassCity Garage*

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 11, 2015.

1. #41 DBV, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    Is the IAT attached to the MAF? If so, I've cleaned both but no change... do you know how/what to test for on each? My oil also isn't very old, but I plan to change it in march or so as it tends to get more age then mileage...

Spark is fine on all 4 cylinders but I haven't tested fuel pressure. I'll test it soon but I hope it's good as I've replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Maybe fpr is bad?

2. #42 ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    The Intake Air Temp is separate from the Mass Air Flow sensor. You would need a multi-meter, and (From a shop manual) the ohms/resistance measurements to see if they are within spec. IIRC they are near each other, but that might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. 1990 might have one or the other, or both, or none. Ahhh the 90's :rolleyes:
    Fuel Pressure Regulator would need to be checked with a Fuel Pressure Tester at the schrader valve on the fuel line. Again, check the shop manual for proper specs B)

I say "Shop manual", I dont mean your average Chiltons repair guide either. You need an actual Manufacturers Service Tech Book. I found mine online.
    The other option would be to subscribe to AllData.com for a 24 hour tour.

Although the tools are expensive, down the road they will save you a lot of money by eliminating the bad parts from the good, without "throwing money" at the problem to solve it. :wave:

3. ohh sweet..I luvvv this form already. Haha..later I'm gonna go take a look at my car. I'll brb since I can't think of anything atm lol

4. Yea, I do have the full fsm for my car and multimeter.  I'll have to dig through the fsm for the values to test.  I did test the MAF back when I cleaned it when I got the car and the values checked out, but I'm going to test it again just to see if its still good.  I don't think I have an IAT... can't locate one under the hood at all. The problem I'm having is I've already bought a lot of specialty tools AND sensors with no luck.. lol. It's going to be a great day when this motor is pulled, even though its still a great motor; just annoying once its cold out.

5. Lol, yeah it is surprising how tight they could get the front two and rear two ports on the head... They used a divided merge collector on the front and rear two ports.

Attached Files:

6. The tools will outlast the car, the sensors should always be tested before replaced.
    I knew my Ford FSM for my Continental inside and out......

7. My check engine light won't turn off and I don't want to take it to get it turned off. I took it to the auto parts store so they could see what's up, and apparently it's a cooling fan problem, but he said its not a big deal.

8. I suppose its not a big deal until your car over-heats, and you blow a head gasket in the middle of nowhere.
    Good luck with that ;)

[​IMG]

Year, Make & Model?

You cannot just "get the light turned off". A proper repair must be done to keep it off.
    The "CEL" is an indication of an engine not running properly, causing it to use more fuel, have less power, and/or possibly harm other parts.

Did the APS give you the code, or just tell you its fan related?
    Is the fan running when the vehicle is running?
    Are there two fans?
    Are you handy at all and do you have any access to tools?

9. It's a Subaru Outback Impreza sport 2004, I don't know if the fan runs while the car is on, I've never looked. I can't remember if he gave me a code or not, he said it had something to do with the cooling fan. I'm fairly handy, and yes I have access to some tools, no power tools though.

10. k soo posted this in another topic but anyway, just got my car sometime last nov an it keeps sayin "service engine soon" everytime its started. Any idea what could be wrong?? :confused_2:

11. #51 ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    When you first start it, pop the hood and see if its running. It should not run until its fully warmed up.
    Once its warmed up, pop the hood and wait a few minutes to see if it comes on. It should cycle on and off to keep the engine at the optimal temperature.
    The actual code would be helpful too.
    SES is usually an oil change reminder, so go get your oil changed!! :p

12. pshh sweet! I was freakinn out haha I'm jus glad to hear it might not be serious XD

13. #53 ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    Getting your oil changed IS serious :p
    Do me a favor and rub your hands together as fast as you can as hard as you can.
    Now look at your hands. See all that skin? Skin grows back. The metal inside your engine does not. Without proper lubrication, your engine wears out critical parts, and will eventually kill an engine. The easiest way to keep a car running without major problems is to properly maintain it. Oil also plays a part in fuel economy and performance. Old oil does not lubricate the reciprocal parts and causes drag and higher engine temps, resulting in lower MPG's, and poor acceleration, not to mention overworking the cooling system.
    The 4 fluids you should change regularly are:
    1) Oil 3X a year +/- 1 depending on mileage and driving stye
    2) Coolant once every 3-5 years
    3) Trans fluid once every 3-5 years
    4) Power Steering once every 3-5 years

14. It's amazing how much better newer cars run with an oil change....it didn't seem to make a lot of difference in 60s, 70s., or 80s vehicles...

15. Some of the new hybrids run on 0W20.... Its like baby oil. Try that with a 1969 block and see how far down the road you get....

16. yeah your may be your rotors, or may be a loose lug nut which is causing the rotor to be uneven on one side.. but get a dial indicator and put it on your rotor and turn the rotor and see if the dial indicator needle moves and if it does then get new ones. Also you could get your rotors on a brake lathe if it's warped. I go to school for auto and we are in brakes right now learning about disk brakes :D

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

17. This is kind of funny but I guess I haven't been paying too much attention to my check engine light because it's not on anymore. Recently I did get an oil change and I also had to install a new battery, because mine never started in the cold, and it had tons of gunk built up all over it. But I'm wondering if those could have turned the check engine light off, or if it turned off by itself.

18. check engine light has been on a little while and the rpms have been slightly elevated. im getting it taken in this weekend but any insight would be great
    97 camry 156k odo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. The only way to see what the CEL is about is to have it scanned.
    I would venture a guess the elevated RPM's are related to the light in the dash but :confused_2:
    I left my tarot cards in my other desk :laughing:
    Get it "checked out" and lets see what they say :bongin:

20. got it scanned and i have the codes but they were kind of obscure problems, damn i hope this shit doesnt break the bank

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app