Nutrient Lockout?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Baba Ganja, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Hello fellow growers. I'm on a first time grow and things were going great until about day 45 of my veg cycle for my 4 plants. It was after the last feeding of only 1/4 strength General Hydroponic nutes that I noticed some slight yellowing of leaves which rapidly turned into the mess I have now. I'm guessing nute lockout. PLEASE help me diagnose what went wrong with the following information. I would be very grateful. Thanks! :smoke:

What type of medium; SOIL
    What brand and type of soil?  PRO MIX HP
    Indoors or outdoors? INDOORS
    What strain? FRUITPUNCH
    How old are the plants? 7 WEEKS
    What type of lights and how many watts? 600W HID MH
    How far from the lights? 18-24"
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? 1-2 WK. WELL WATER TDS@ 150
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? 1/4 STRENGTH GENERAL HYDROPONICS 3 FEEDINGS TOTAL SINCE STARTED, pH 6.2-6.3
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? runoff pH 6.2-6.3
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 72-76 DAY, 65-68 NIGHT. RH 50-70%
    What size pots? 2 GALLON
    Any bugs? Look real close. NONE
    Any other pertinent info? Yes...

I tried foiliar spraying Cal-mag at the first sign of yellowing because it was the only nutrient I did not give with the feedings up until now. My well water is at 150 ppm so i'm assuming there should be enough already in there. But it did not help. Maybe the ratio of Cal to Mag in my well water is throwing off the absorption of other nutrients? Meaning too much Cal in the well water which can lockout mag and phosphorus.

As you can see in the photos there is yellowing on the older leaves, very purple stems and petioles, stunted growth, brown spots, and cupping of the dying leaves. And 1 plant has yellowing comming out of the new growth! So many symptoms, that it has to be lockout.

2 days ago I flushed with pH'ed water @ 6.3. with no nutes.  I know they need transplanting but I'm thinking they need to dry out a little now. Should I just repot now into the 7 gallon pots and get them into new soil? Should I get rid of the well water and switch to R.O. and start from scratch? So many questions and so little time! I feel like they're dying and I'm just watching them do it.

Attached Files:

2. #2 lFourTwenty, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Pretty sure you're overthinking this..it just looks really deficient to me..3 feedings of 1/4 strength nutes and cal-mag foliar spray and that's it? Then a flush?

Mix some cal-mag in with your veg nutes and feed it..no more flushing. Probably caused more harm that good when you flushed.

I grow with water straight from the tap so I highly doubt your well water is causing the problems.

Also, yes on the transplant, it will love the bigger pot

3. I just thought it wierd that 4 days after a feeding it turned so ugly!
    And everytime i fed it prior to this, the tips would brown, therefore i just thought it a very sensitve to nute strain. I will try to repot and feed it again. Thanks for the advice.

4. #4 mmman, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  5. #5 BHamBudzNW, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
    You said you know your water PPM, how about your nutrient solution PPM?

I suggest transplanting into the final pots as well.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. #6 Baba Ganja, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
    The ppm was 375 at the 1/4 strength nutes. The thing is they were looking awesome and didn't need anything but i fed them anyway and a few days later leaves started turning yellow fast. Totally yellow. No green veins, or from the tips, totally yellow with the brown spots.
    I just repotted and watered with Cal mag and 510 ppm nutes. And I upped the pH to 6.5. Hopefully they'll turn around.
    I just thought burnt tips meant back off on feeding. Can burnt tips mean the start of a deficiency?

7. When I ran GH nutrients I followed the KIS method and never went over 500ppm the entire grow (this was my first synthetic grow) If they looked hungry I would just feed back to back then use straight water. I got fantastic yields that way, it was just too easy. I like experimenting and trying new things so I moved on.

Keep us posted on what happens in a week or so, you should definitely see some improvements.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I love that KIS method. I'm trying to follow that as well. Thank you for the help. I will keep you posted on how they do.