Fight Industrialists

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Informant, Jan 9, 2015.

1. High Times ran an article http://hightimes.com/read/paypals-co-founder-making-major-move-pot
    which shows the co-founder of PayPal investing millions of dollars to purchase several marijuana related business.

Fight this bullshit industrialization of marijuana - at least that's how I feel.

To me this is the same kind of bullshit that happens when comic books become popular and all of a sudden the people who used to make fun of those of us who enjoyed comics and "nerdy" things in high school, are going to all the opening nights of comic book movies and buying Capt. America / Batman things.

Personally, I don't want to see this plant chopped up and distributed to the highest bidder for the purpose of profiting off of homogenizing it.

Fuck the corporate mentality and the need for large company control. This plant and it's products should support small business development and growth.

God I hate these people.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I hate this too. But honestly I will take it for now if it means I can go to the store and buy weed whenever I want.

3. what you wrote involves business as well. how is a small business any different than a big business other than size? we are living in the last days of cannabis as we know it and cannabis will be big industry soon. millionaires will claim - made in cannabis- while leaving a destructive wake behind. 

So, borrowing money from a buddy is no different than borrowing money from a national bank?

5. If we stoners get our way, we will all be growing our own medicine. Unfortunetly, the capitalistic values that this country holds so dear to it's heart, shall refuse to see it that way. It's all about the money......

• Like Like x 1
  6. if the buddy owns the national bank then no. All I'm saying is a little run business has the same practices as massively huge businesses just scaled down and eventually the little business if successful will be big business and the same.

7. #7 Informant, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015

Small businesses becoming larger businesses isn't the same thing.  The small businesses simply don't exist.  We are at an incredible wealth gap and that's a very dangerous thing when you're talking about a future of consolidation - where competitive wages can be increasingly lowered because of growing barriers to entry.  This is going to be a boom industry - hemp alone is going to be powerful, but it's going to be overly controlled and highly consolidated from the very beginning.

That's what I want to fight.

8. Where is the I told you so emoji.

Make it legal and we will figure out the rest later.
    Not looking to great any more eh.
    Fucking eager beavers.
    We have been fighting prohibition for nearly 70 years and they all caved at the first carrot dangled over their face.

• Like Like x 2
    Boom!  Exactly.

10. And you know that Kevin Sabet and the rest of project SAM as well as the other anti pot groups are going to try and use this information against legalization to defend their point that it will become the next big tobacco.

11. Shit man, big money controls the government...what makes you think they're not gonna snap up as big a piece of an emerging market as they can and use gov't contacts to try to protect their investment through blah blah legislation, that shits 'big business 101'. Man if we can't keep the major $ players from controlling the core of our 'democracy' there's no hope in excluding them from this juicy new 'green rush'. There's bound to be a handful of major players but there'll also be plenty of scraps...for every coke there's an RC cola, every Budweiser a dozen North Coast breweries...

Where I'm at I could max penalty get 5-7 years for ANY cultivation, throw in getting busted in my guerrilla spot with a permitted CCW handgun and I'd be fried..fuck, I'll take the scraps for now.

• Like Like x 1
    I totally hear you, I'm in a similar position where I live.  I just think about the fact that the Tea Party (event not party) was done in protest to the monopoly on tea the British government gave to a prominent company at the time; which was I believed paid for by the tax on tea.  This is no difference between that and what we all know is going to happen to this industry - and that just shows we allow far more invasion to our privacy and infringement on our rights than did those who founded the nation. 

I hope I never have to prove my conviction for this belief, but I look at the punishments for cultivating cannabis and see it as the worst case scenario of a choice I make.  I don't see it as a fear based deterrent for breaking the law.  If we fear breaking the law because of the punishments then all that means is punishments will get harsher and harsher and laws will become more and more encroaching. 

In a world where we are far removed from our policymakers the one thing we truly have to fight for what we want is civil disobedience.  But, we have to be willing to accept the consequences of said disobedience to engage in real change.  The more we are convinced that civil disobedience isn't worth the possible punishment then we've really lost something.

Ultimately, the "legalize it and tax it" movement is a throat bearing compromise for legalization that implies government control from the beginning.  The barriers to entry are already being erected and distributor, retailer, wholesaler, mass producer, and other major roles of production aren't going to be satisfied by small regional businesses, they will be national in scale and federally regulated from the beginning.  I'd rather it stay illegal and have more people simply ignore the law than settle for mediocre change.

13. I disagree. IMO if companies start competing with each other we're gonna see some major increase in quality and scientific research.

14. Show of hands, how many of you brew your own beer? Beer companies are doing a fantastic job of coming up with craft beer. No complaints here. As long as a competitive environment exists, good cannabis will be found. 

15. We just need to Krakow m legalize it, where we can grow our own.

16. Possibly.  But if a true tobacco/alcohol regulatory framework does come about, you should be free to do so.  I have friends who make wine and beer without any interference from the government. 

17. #17 EmeraldCream, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015

[​IMG]
    This ^^

Businesses are businesses bub, and small businesses don't exist because they either become big businesses (by any number of means) or they die. 

But I do believe there should not be prohibitively expensive licencing to be able to produce/sell for sure....the markets should be as open and competitive as possible. Much like beer/wine or any commodity for that matter. Some will be Coors and some will be micro brew...lots of folks will fail horribly because running a farm will crush a closet gardeners ass in short order. 

But they should have the chance to try....the OPPORTUNITY!! Because M'uricuh damn it!!
    [​IMG]