Calcium based nutes over salt

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bunnyfather, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Curious on anyone's input on calcium based nutrients?

2. #2 The_Real_OG_Kush, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Yes, flush often to prevent lockout. Bottom feeding works wonders here to bring(What i think is salt) to the surface of the soil so they dont harm the roots zone.

3. What?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Calcium based nutrients are supplements for human consumption, not a plant fertilizer.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  5. But plants have a calcium based cellular structure, salt based nutes are foreign. That's why flushing at end of flowering is so important with salt based nutes, right?

6. Why do you think the supplements for human use are even in a form the plant can take up for use?  What are you going to use for the other 80 or so elements, enzymes, and micro elements needed for plant growth, a plant can't surrive on only calcium?  Why don't you look into plant fertilizer choices or learn to grow with organic materials for fertilizers.

People using chemical based, water soluble flush to remove the water soluble chemical salts out of the soil mix so the plant uses up stored nutrients in the plant tissue before harvest.

Why anyone would consider using a human calcium supplement for plant food is beyond my comprehension.

PW

7. I think your confused, do you know anything about what you just talked about or was it an attempt to sound smart? I'm not trying to be a dick but what you said makes no sense at all. I grow organically, I use calcium based supplements and I started this forum to discuss it. I might as well let you know your mostly wrong about the flush too.

8. I guess I am not familiar with your style of organic growing.  I suppose you have learned more about new growing techniques than I have lately.   Pardon me if I am mistaken, I only have a horticulture degree and 25 years experience growing in professional greenhouses.

PW

9. A nutrient were the base is calcium? 

Like cal mag?

10. #10 Icemud, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
    I use food grade micronized calcium carbonate powder. Works great when paired with soft rock phoshate, gypsum and azomite.

I also used Humboldt Nutrients Organic Bloom which is a 0-10-0 with 10% calcuium. its basicaly calcium carbonate and soft rock phosphate.

IMG_20121002_201445.jpg IMG_20121002_201628.jpg

11. Read this: Using Soluble Calcium to Stimulate Plant Growth - Texas A&M ...

12. How do you describe calcium based lock out?

13. I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe too much calcium will lock out phosphorus.

14. What do you mean? Sure you can kill a plant by over doing any nute. I would say calcium lock out is caused mostly by bad water, wrong or bad nutes, or simply over doing it.

That said the right calcium in the right amount is great. It facilitates cell wall structure and builds strength. Not to mention hard nugs!

15. #15 exaaact, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Calcium based formulas? Do you mean Carbon? Everyone's feeding schedule or media contains Calcium. It is a secondary but considered now a macro element (the plant needs big/high amounts). I think you mean Carbon. The definition of organic is that it contains carbon molecules. So CalMag that contains Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate is considered inorganic or synthetic while CalMag with Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Sulfate is considered organic. How one is better for your health than the other is yet to be proven. However, that is the definition of organic (contains carbon) nothing less, nothing more. (Some of the worst banned insecticides contain carbon and are considered organic. So, if you are asking if you should use a Calcium Carbonate over a Calcium Nitrate formula, the answer would be yes; if you want to consider it organic. You can look up the definition of organic if you think I am lying but I really don't care. Do whatever you want to do.

16. Your head fits nicely in your ass hole (see how I separated the ass and hole to be proper). Last time I checked Carbon was a non mineral nutrient. I'm sure your confused because I asked your mom. I think your thinking, wait I'm lying because I don't understand stupid people.

I'm referring to most nutrients and the train of historical thought and study that NPK is the starting point. Meaning the base to which you design ingredients (secondary nutes) ie calcium, mag, sulf; and building and implement feeding schedules.

Calcium based nutes are just designed around calcium. This is how it works.. Never mind, you won't get it. I feel like I'm talking to my wife, she don't get shit either but she hot as fuck. I know what your thinking, I'm an asshole (one word), but it's okay she accepts it, win/win. You should accept your dumb to.

But really a calcium based nute is just designed around calcium and how to move it into the plant.

Hey have a great day and I hope you don't have to read this to many times to understand it.

Google got your back hommie.

🐇

17. #17 exaaact, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    You're an idiot and don't have a clue what you're talking about. Good luck with your Ca based nutrients buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maybe you should learn to put together a proper sentence before you try to argue the bio mechanisms of Calcium, just saying.