Help me pick out a new car

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Ploxxies, Jan 8, 2015.

1. I'm going to get super old here and advise you to get something reliable.

2. #122 ImTheJoker4u2, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Featuring a standard V8 engine, body-on-frame design, rear-wheel drive and large exterior and interior dimensions,<sup>[4]</sup> the Town Car was based on the Ford Panther platform. This gave it powertrain and suspension commonality with the Mercury Grand Marquis and the Ford LTD Crown Victoria (later the Crown Victoria). This design made them durable even in the rough conditions taxi and livery cars are subjected to, and easy and cheap to repair when they did suffer damage.<sup>[5]</sup> Town Cars are typically operated in commercial service for at least 400,000 miles.<sup>[5]</sup>

Safe, powerful, luxurious, cheap to operate, easy to work on, built like tanks, and run forever.
    Whats not to like?

It has been decided - We all (finally) agree...

/thread

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfPQnGpIjY

4. Close, but still not a Soviet T-80 tank... :ph34r:
    On a serious note, I fucking love Russian/Soviet military vehicles. Anything built to withstand Siberia is what I would call a reliable vehicle.
    [​IMG]

5. The tatra isn't track driven, so it is 'street legal' in a lot of places. So we can just scale this down, and get a unimog right? Far more reasonable and available. I really like all military vehicles, they are awe inspiring in cases.

Attached Files:

6. Fo sho.. Unimog or H1 Hummer - The OG Hummer thu.. Not the mall rat version - The full on version.
    Actually I thought I heard that its being replaced by something bigger and badder, and will not be even close to civi use :(

But um.. There is a thread for BS'in about cars, and its not this one sooooooo............

Might I suggest a stroll over to this thread.... 

http://forum.grasscity.com/planes-trains-automobiles/1282473-random-car-talk.html

7. Did you get your car yet, OP?

8. To a degree, but you have to remember that a larger turbo will always require more exhaust velocity to spool, so a turbo's size and air ratio will directly correlate with your power band's potential. You can fine tune your setup and even swap cams and port and polish to further tune this, but the turbo size will effect your power band, which it looks like you understand this; just wanted to mention it's not as easy as slapping a huge turbo on and expecting full boost at 2000 rpm's even with a "perfect" tune unless we're talking about a v10 or v12.

Normally a larger turbo will not spool at lower rpm's without quite a few other mods to compensate. A turbo's efficiency is more related to the air ratio it requires to spool the compressor to an appropriate speed to compress the air within the intake side. Eventually the speed can max out on impellar side and drop off of the compression ratio on the intake side, essentially maxing out the efficiency range. A larger turbo in most cases requires a larger exhaust ratio to spool to larger compression ratios, and with larger exhaust ratios, means it takes longer for the exhaust velocity to efficiently turn into boost levels.

9. #129 mercinariesgtr, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015

The rpm i was referring to is the compressor wheel, that is why i said it would be working more efficiently. Obviously with all the hybrid turbo sizes and combos you can do these days someone could have a small exhaust side with a huge cold side to try and get some spool faster on a low displacement engine but i do understand that these dyno queen civics have no boost till 4k. I went through this when looking for soemthing that would be sized for driveability and fun on the streets but also not run out of gas(or should i say air) at 8k rpm. my turbo starts coming online at 2800 -3k

10. Oh yeah I know it's not that simple and there's more behind it, I don't know my shit as well as you do but I know my share :p

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

11. #131 DBV, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
    Ahhh, OK gotcha now. Just misread the whole rpm's part.. I guess my only issue with these hybrids is that you are still greatly effecting your efficiency range when minimizing impellar/air ratio and maximizing compression side, but you can really dial in a nice setup with them.

Wasn't trying to say you didn't know your shit... I can tell you do. Just felt like mentioning it's not easy to adjust your power band when using a larger turbo, although I wish it were and I'm actually trying to design a theory right now to help compensate this that I wouldn't mind running by you all. Maybe I'll make a post in random car talk..

12. I know you weren't saying that haha I'm just cooked, not making sense

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. There is a video where they put a 3.8 Chevy vortec v6 in a Datsun 280z with a power stroke turbo strapped to it.......
    YouTube roadkill rotsun turbo

14. I found it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcjC00J8FaM

15. mazda miata-sporty, cheap, reliable, convertible[​IMG]

16. Hands down 1998-2002 camaro or trans am. 345hp will 90% of cars on the road

17. I forgot about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U81_0waqEWA

Go big or go home lololol