Gardners and Bloome Blue Ribbon Blend

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OCHydroponics, Jan 6, 2015.

1. #1 OCHydroponics, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
    Hello everyone, I picked up this soil in the title a few weeks ago and overshot the amount I needed at the time
    So I have extra bags That I'd like to amend and give it enough food to be a water only thing.
    http://www.kellogggarden.com/products?brand=gborganics&category=GBOrganics-soils
    The ingredients can be shown by clicking the blue ribbon blend picture in the link above.
    It has some good ingredients but what else can I add to make it go the distance? I don't want to overload the soil and mess up any plant i transplant in
    Will cooking it avoid that even with the extra amendments?
    My grow is set up to allow 55 days of veg and 65 of flower so my plants get pretty hungry :)
    Any and all Help is appreciated.

OCHydroponics

Gardners & Bloome is packed at different locations around the U.S. with slightly different names. For example Coast of Maine carries a product from this group, i.e. Kelloggs Garden Products (est. 1925) based in Southern California, called Bumper Crop. While the name may be different it's easy to spot because the general layout of the graphics are identical.

Like this:

[​IMG]
    One of their big mixing operations in located in southwest Washington, Longview which is a few miles north of Portland, Oregon. Most if not all of their different mixes are found everywhere in this part of the world. I do not have any personal experience but several other posters at GCO have used it and found it to be a solid potting soil mix. 

At the very least they do not use powdered or pelletized sewage sludge that Miracle Gro opts for in their mixes.

If you're going to use it I would suggest adding 1/2 - 3/4 cup of kelp meal. Not 'liquid seaweed extract' which it is not but straight unprocessed kelp. I would add the same amount of organic neem meal.

Adding rock dust (meaning no clay-based materials like Azomite (montmorillite), bentonite, zeolite, kaolanite, pyrophillite and other versions of the same thing, i.e. alumino-silicates or colloidal minerals. Glacial rock dust, basalt or granite is what you want to source.

HTH

CC

3. Thanks a bunch, your answers are always full of good information. I figured I would add a cup of kelp meal because of its nutritional value.
    I will add the amendments next week and let the soil cook for about a month and a half before use.
    My current plants in this soil will just receive ewc teas with a bit of alfalfa and kelp when switched to flower
    Maybe a few molasses brews as well

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1346524-Organic-scrog

4. #4 Chunk, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
    OCH,

When I first began growing organically, I used the Gardener & Bloome Blue Ribbon potting soil with Dr. Earth's Tomato, Vegetable & Herb dry fertilizer mix. I was quite successful with this mix and IME, you can't grow wrong with it. Here's a post from 2009 which is at the time I was using G & B Blue Ribbon. The bud shots speak for themselves.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/514820-organic-bud-shots.html#entry6283897

5. Thank you chunk!! I read that post actually and went to the Ontario ca site to pick some up
    for the plants I've got inside the bagged soil, how would I go about ensuring this bagged soil has enough food for this month of veg and all of flower?

I will post the final amendments going into the extra soil in a couple weeks.

6. OCHydroponics

Orange County Farm Supply (est. 1950) in Tustin might be worth your time to check-out.

Not a recommendation per se - just another source for you. Before there were grow stores this was the 'go to' supplier for the Boyz of Summer growing in the Santa Ana Mountains, off Ortega Highway, Laguna Canyon, La Habra Heights, etc. Friends and I spent some serious money with these folks in those daze.

Thai High off Ortega Highway - the title I wanted to use to tell the story about the grows in 1977 thru 1979 - LOL

CC

7. I got my bags of this soil from that shop CC :)
    All my girls love the soil and I will be going back to that store to see if they've got any amendments I can use.
    If not amazon it is :)
    I'm loving the organic ways.
    Hydroponics was way more labor intensive and numbers oriented.

I like that title, I'd be happy to read that if you ever decide to retell it