Hydro Tent - 2 Dark Devil (autoflower) plants in DWC using 700w mars II

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by John Frum, Jan 6, 2015.

1. I had similar issues with root rot on and auto white widow. It presented almost exactly like this. I resolved the issue by doing couple easy things. I painted the exterior of my DWC bucket white. I taped the exposed lid with aluminium tape. I started adding 2 frozen water bottles around lights on. I finally soaked my air stone in H2O2 and just as you have already done, I added a little to my nutrient solution. This resolved all my issues but with an auto didnt meet its potential!

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

2. #22 The Letter 3, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    Hey going to chime in.

How are you testing the ph of your water?

It looks low to me in the picture you posted of low stress training.

I also think this is what you are seeing in the following picture.

Some nutrient lockout due to ph being out of whack.

Edit... I also think the fulvic acid isn't doing you any favors. The benefit of dwc is that your roots are suspended into the nutrient solution.

Have you seen any or got any research into its use in hydroponic applications?

3. Yeah I definitely have an issue with light getting through the bucket. I am going to try to fix that and then soak the stones like you said, that sounds like a great idea too.

I am testing the pH with a milwaukee instruments ph 600. It's calibrated correctly, I have a 7.0 solution to check with. The pH is usually 5.4-5.8 just today I raised it to 5.9, could it be that I need to let it have some time at 6 or 6.1? I will consider not using the fulvic acid, it is rated for hydroponic use on the bottle and the guys at the grow shop recommended it to me knowing I do DWC.

4. 5.4 to 5.8 is to low.

Keep your ph between 5.8 and 6.2 for dwc. That lockout and crumpled leaf look should go away.

5. #25 GoldGrower, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015

What % is your h2o2? And how many litres is your nutrient solution? 

All your nutrients should already be in a form that the plants can use. I don't see what advantage fulvic acid would give. None of my plants have ever had any. 

Has the condition got any worse? 

6. Just out of curiosity can you post a PIC of the roots? Is the algea you spoke of earlier in the journal green? Or more of a brown?

7. #27 John Frum, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    I use 3% h2o2 and I have about 17 liters of solution. Well it seems to be the same I guess.

I upped it to 6.1 today on your advice from 5.9. Thanks TL3.

Both in different spots I suppose

Pictures:
    IMG_20150118_160722.jpg IMG_20150118_160716.jpg IMG_20150118_160711.jpg

IMG_20150118_160038.jpg IMG_20150118_160031.jpg IMG_20150118_160025.jpg IMG_20150118_160017.jpg

This is Day 21 from cotyledons, today I raised the ppm to 437 too since it had dropped from the previous days 412.

8. I was thinking maybe you overdosed with the h2O2 but nah, that dose shouldn't have caused any problems

9. Definitely get that bucket covered! That is probably one of your issues, especially since your pail is white! The light will be having a negative effect on the roots. They can deal with a little light in a few spots (think seedlings in clear cups) but with a translucent pail almost the whole root mass is exposed to some light. Not to mention it promotes algae and bad bacteria that will eat your roots and your nutes. I bet by fixing this your roots will expand faster out of the dark ?hydroton/rockwool? And into the nutrient solution.

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

10. I just started 2 DD myself, I wanna see how this ends.😉

11. Our grows are very similar setup, Mars lights, DWC, 6" net pots, 70lpm pumps, your birthday is only a few days before mine. Im running Think Different, Northern Lights, White Widow, and Critical.. I will be keeping an eye on you grow. check mine out as well.

12. Subbed up as im growing some dark devil in my next grow

13. I'm learning a lot here. I hope you figure your root issues out soon. 

14. Yes and update on the roots?