How should a society decide an individuals value?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Messiah Decoy, Jan 4, 2015.

1. I mentioned the family thing because I wanted you to think of a scenario where it was either your families life on the line vs. someone elses. Trust me we can all love each other equally, its certainly easy. But when it comes down to a scenario, that makes the decision much more difficult.
    I'm with you, those people killing each other surely would help save lives if they had not existed in the first place. But there is the artificial term we founded, good and evil. In the big picture it is survival.
    Guarantee you under the right circumstances Bin Laden could have brought great people together for good, rather than evil, which is why I can say although he brought terror upon many, I have a love for the people of this world, and I would include that man good or evil. It would not change anything otherwise.
    To think every single person could value every single person.. Meh.. Thats not happening very soon. Dreaming is fine

2. Nor did he define what he would do if I said kill all 3. Again, his point was to force a dilemma to demonstrate at a fundamental level I value ones freedom over the other. I will keep repeating this until it sinks in. Even he stopped. Discussing it because he realised it was nonsense, now you have chosen to carry the banner.

3. I can agree with that. Im not saying I value everyone the same, but that is my goal. Its a huge transformation for the conditioned brain to accept and act upon. I feel morally obligated, I cannot claim it is true and not strive to practice.

I don't care what the point was.. I care that your answer got both killed and now you're trying to save face in light of your fuck up. Have you never been in a situation where you thought "damn.. I fucked up"? Cause this is that type of situation.. but you're not man enough to admit it.

5. I didnt fuck up anything since his point and my point was over the value of the individuals freedom. You are arguing about the value of life which is not the point of either of us. Oh wait, you dont care what the point was, its no wonder you made an invalid point. If you want to interject an objection into a discussion you should first know the point of the discussion. I know it will never sink into your head so that will be my final reply to your nonsense. I would appreciate your input if it was relevant to the discussion.

6. Just that word, society...how fo you approach it? It's got a lot o implications lingering on the end of it.
    -do you accept the "common" view of society
    - does society impose a view of itself in society?
    -isn't society(or people)just judging and assuming the group judge?
    -is it an inherent trait to all living things?, aren't we smart enough to know what the general portrayal of human interaction is and thus KNOW and readjust according to_________
    - how does self relate to this society
    - For one to judge another man based on a grand assumption before: first meeting, while engaged in interaction, secondary thoughts, or for any instance..is it beneficial? Does it help to hold no view on society?
    - if your view on society can be manipulated is it not in your best interest to do so on a subconscious level?

I feel like you could go on forever asking questions..but society should know itself

Fully aware of the point.. fully don't care. Simply pointing out where you fucked up, but due to your stubborn nature and inability to admit when you've made an error.. you've turned it from a simple 'pointing out' into something more complex. All I wanted for you to do was to take this as a life lesson on watching your words when dealing with a sociopath.. seeing as a decent percentage of the population is made up of sociopaths, not always sadistic ones.. but none the less you should watch what you say when you're knowingly dealing with a sociopath. So yes, you did fuck up.. you made an error and you're unwilling to accept that and to learn from that.

In the words of my nephew in kindergarten.. if you're never wrong you'll never learn.

8. Society is a contract of sorts, or rather it should be. A fair one, in which all people benefit. An organic system in which a role is not administered, but rather, it is assumed or adopted. There cannot exist a collective determination of value. We must understand that the human is a sovereign being and is entitled to enter into any contract willingly as long as it is in accordance and not against the natural sovereignty of another human being.

Yet in today's society, there is a great struggle. We have given our power over to some institution or another. We have subjugated ourselves to various forms of authority, under the impression that this organism that is our society will ultimately be benefited and in turn, so will the average man. The contract that we enter, presupposes that you yourself will be benefited in taking part in this society. Yet in this we have a great problem. It has all become a great sham. We have artificially indoctrinated ourselves to desire and want particular things out of this society and we have been compelled to conform to a disagreeable and pathogenic way of life under duress. Truly, this is a society which engenders competition, greed and various mind numbing vice. The competition is a game, in which some will win, some will lose, and some have already won or lost. Prodding and egging on the more base aspects of our human nature, our society now revolves on and around them in spite of not having too.

Our freedom is stolen from us, not by others, but by our own human nature and our inability to escape the baseness of it and embrace our reasonable and ultimately divine nature. True freedom is what humans can have, escaping the fetters of the animal into something so far beyond it. It lies in Love. Our ability to see ourselves in each other and with great compassion, destroy boundaries. Destroy boundaries between ourselves and between us and the universe.

9. Well said pickledpie!

No, I stopped because I knew this would happen. You're too hardheaded to ever back down. By the way, I killed them both and your mother.

11. I can admit i could be wrong, but with no defeating arguments im rational in continuing my claim. Lets start fresh. Why do you think freedom isnt a paramount value? Are you just saying its a good ideal but impossible in practice?

12. You are correct in that I think it's impossible.

You originally said freedom of the society, and increasing that freedom, is how you think value is determined.

Who determines freedom of the society? How do they obtain the right to decide how free, or inhibited, the society is?

13. #53 NorseMythology, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
    It may be impossible to follow this virtue absolutely but it seems to me something worth striving toward.

What I meant was, if each person within a society valued freedom and promoted it, that would allow each person and the society as a whole to reach a higher potential. Freedom is not decided per se, it is already the potential we have, my goal is to abolish/expose anything that inhibits this truth. So the freedom of a society is decided by the will of each individual to recognize their own freedom and enforce it.

The reason we are not as free in the U.S.A. is because we stopped enforcing our personal freedom and have allowed an illegitimate government to tell us they have the authority to violate or suspend our freedoms (usually for our 'security'). I say bull-fucking-shit! I have said elsewhere, the suppressors of freedom use threats to our lives to leverage our freedom away, which is why the the wise men of the past warned not to abandon our freedom for security. This is why I value freedom over life.

14. Experience points. I saw this idea on highdeas before I even started smoking and thought it was brilliant. Every time someone does something good (graduates high school, save a life, donate to charity, etc.) that person gets more XP points. Like with age restrictions there will be XP restrictions like 'you can't drink alcohol until X amount of XP points.'

Sent from my iPad using G

15. Graduating this education system would result in an XP deficit.

What we need is to teach our young ones that freedom needs to be charished and not abused.
    Driving around like an asshole, endagering other peoples life (a freedom) is an abuse of freedom. When people start abusing freedom, society feels they have the authority to tell you what not to do, via laws, which is a violation of freedom. If we respected our freedoms and the freedoms of others, we would choose to drive like an asshole only when no one elses life is at risk. Since people are not tought to respect freedom, in general they wont. Our education system teaches you how to be a contributing, working, tax paying slave, they dont teach you how to be a respectful human being, and how to exist freely with other human beings.

16. Towing the party line,like lambs to the slaughter is like jumping in a bath full of powdered water. Its a tissue paper glass that you try to keep your beer in. A rummble in the sky like a Motorhead bassbin !!! A.A.S

17. #57 Sam_Spade, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
    What an interesting thread. I think so far, posters have done an astute job of trying to address the existential take on equality in society.

I'd like to propose another perspective. From an economic perspective, human life is one of the cheapest externalized resources there is. Exploiting the labour, resources and sustainability of communites at the expense of cultural autonomy, intergenerational social mobility is normal operation for most MNCs. It is an aspect of the global assembly line which seeks to significantly restructure entire regions of the planet for the sake of economic production. Even the supposed 'green economy' is demonstrably guilty of these foolhardy development patterns.

What to know how a society should decide an individual's value? The cost of human suffering and stagnation is embedded in the price of your consumer goods. Costco has your answers, and they print them on a placard and itemize them on shelving for your convenience.

18. Better question.
    Should a society decide the value of an individual?

-yuri

19. Doooood I keep trying to tell people this when they talk about machines taking our jobs.

Humans are dirt cheap compared to technologically advanced robots made out of rare and expensive materials.
    So true

-yuri

20. I think this is essentially what the thread is asking tho.

Who gets do distribute the experience points? Who decides how much each deed is worth?

-yuri