The Drill on Fritted Disc Percs...?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Mang44, Jan 3, 2015.

1. #1 Mang44, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    I've been smoking for years and been around nice glass pretty much the entire time.

Recently a friend of mine ordered a couple basic oil-rigs from here (one is a tree-arm diffuser, the other just has a small 6 slit diffuser) and they have been working great for dabbing with shatter and wax. I have had great success with shower heads as well as tree percs in the past as far as diffusion and hit quality.

I decided to order myself some glass, and while shopping I noticed some fritted-disc percolators for both bongs and oil rigs. After watching a couple videos of fritted-disc percs in action, I was eager to try one; the diffusion was incredible.

The piece I decided to order is @. It's just a small rig type bubbler designed for conentrates. 
    http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/black-leaf-glass-concentrate-oil-bubbler-with-fritted-disc-perc.html#.VKevrivF_uM

So I finally got it today and filled it up. After a couple test drags I noticed that the resistance (or 'drag') was really strong. It really pulls foam through the disc, so the diffusion, and subsequently the resistance is much greater than any piece I've ever dragged.

Here's where the problem comes... 

I proceed to dab with it, and upon dabbing onto the nail, the smoke (or technically vapor to be specific) thickens and travels down the stemless downstem, but then fails to make it through the fritted disc. As in, the smoke enters the perc white but then is wispy and hardly visible after passing through! The resistance also NOTICEABLY increases and almost comes to a clog as the smoke is pulled through the disc. 

I kept trying, and everything I dabbed with was wasted effort. After a couple small dabs I inspected the disc and noticed it yellowing already substantially. Considering I only pulled 0.1 g worth of crumble wax vapor through the fritted-disc, these percs must trap so much, cause there was probably close to that built up.

I would much appreciate any input that you guys and gals may have. Anybody experienced with fritted disc percs? Anybody own a piece kind of like this? Do you notice goodies getting trapped in the perc to any extent? Perhaps this is an issue exclusive to my piece, or are all fritted discs about the same? Do you think I'm screwed? 

Since this piece obviously won't work out for my precious concentrates, I may try smoking flowers out of it. But since the disc is trapping my crumble, I don't see why it wouldn't strip the cannabis resins out of pot smoke just as well. I don't want to have to sell this piece, but I kinda wish I went with less diffusion for the sake of my concentrates.

Thanks again, happy toking

2. Wax clogs fritted disks like no other, and it can be damn near impossible to clean. Also, note that you generally want a small amount of diffusion for oil rigs. Personally, I'd sell it and get something that works for you, rather than keep something that annoys you every time you try to use it.

3. Yeah man even for flower, I've talked to a lot of people (on here, and else where) who Condemn fritted disks for being A: far to diffusing, and B: flavor destroyers. They're a bitch to clean/ maintain, and are really more of a diffusion novelty more than anything. Interesting concept, failed execution.

Sadly I must agree that selling it is probably your best option. Some people like them so you may be in luck.

For the most part, any connoisseur isn't going to want this piece. If you prefer oil, or concentrates over flower go for a smaller, less diffused rig.

If I may make a suggestion, I quite enjoy Toro. They produce amazing rigs that are perfect (in many cases) for fans of concentrates. Hope this helps, and happy toking.

Just my opinion btw. Don't want any hate from the fritted disk fans out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. ditto the no-go on frit discs.  I had a DG piece, it worked well for flower, more resistence due to the bore being so reduced by the frit but never an issue with flower.  It was just too diffused, no flavor, and I didn't like the feel of the pull on them.

They're a pain in the ass and takes away all the flavor so I don't see the point unless you're smoking some bunk shit.