CFM required for fan on stealth grow box - +Carbon filter

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by CFLConnoisseur, Jan 2, 2015.

1. #1 CFLConnoisseur, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Hey GC,

Using 2 Rubbermaid totes stacked on top of eachother for a stealth grow, like the one shown below (minus the lids, of course). Wondering if a 60 CFM fan will be enough to push air through a DIY carbon filter, or will the fan not be strong enough for the backflow of air? I imagine the carbon filter makes a fair amount of resistance. I thought for the tiny size of the growspace - about 1.5ft wide x 2 ft long x 3ft high - 60 CFM would be fine. 

I know people dedicating entire rooms to growing and they only use 440 CFM. 

CFM = cubic feet per minute of air being pushed out, so if my grow space is only about 9 cubic feet, surely 60 Cubic Feet per Minute of air would be plenty. Just concerned about resistance from the carbon filter.

thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Rather or not its strong enough for the filter depends on how you make said filter. Can't really take a guess at something that hasn't been made yet, especially when different people make them different ways. 1 guy might use a quarter pound of carbon while the next uses a pound, for example. Obviously the same fan isn't going to handle both filters the same.

Was thinking of making the DIY filter with pencil cups and sock.