2 Strains Grown Under 2 Solar Spec 150s

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Peflora, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Housekeeping day

Cleaned algae build up in each tote

While there I trimmed a bunch of lower primary leafs

Placed the 2 Silver Skunks (under the SS 260) into 4 liter air pots that I cut in half. Placed whole bundle of ornamental stones between the AP and the tote to provide lowest roots (were sticking outside the 6" net pots) a dark environment. Should help with more root development

Pics tomorrow

2. It's 75 degrees in there and the NL #5 still didn't crack so like u said I think I'll line a match box with some sand paper and shake them for a minute to scuff them up cuz there not doing anything and it's been two and a half days. It's funny how one strain is so different from the others when it comes to germination

3. #43 Peflora, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    Lots to report

Silver Skunk 260

Yesterday I placed the Silver Skunks into 4 liter air pots that I cut in half as the full height is not necessary when used with F & D

Pics show a number of smaller net pots, which in the future I will reduce to 2, including the Air Pot

Silver Skunks look a bit droopy, perhaps due to placing them directly on top of bags of stone, and perhaps due to dropping the SS 260 a bit too close yesterday. This morning I raised it ~ 4". Also temp in that tent has been ~ 89*s for a few days, though nights ~ 72*

I opened one bag of Dollar Store polished stones and spread the stones around the 6" net pot of the smaller plant, effectively lowering the root ball to better allow nutes to flood higher up

WH x G13 + 2 SS 150s

The 2 plants (one in each tote) are doing quite well. Note leafs reaching toward the 150s, which seems the perfect veg light

The reveg on the left tote is probably not gonna make it. Unlike the reveg in the right tote, which has a fair amount of lower leafs + new branch sites appearing all over stems/branches

Silver Skunk Seeds

Already 9/10 cracked with tip of tap sticking out

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      885.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      324.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Looking good

5. #45 Peflora, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
    Silver Skunks have perked up, but still not quite reaching up toward the 260

If they don't reach up by days end thinking to move them under the 2 SS 150s (more warm white diodes), and move those (WHx G13) under the SS 260, its' spectral blend MAY be more Sat  friendly, although the leafs currently look very Indica

6. #46 Peflora, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    RE: yesterday. I re-potted the small SS, removing the layer of stone directly under the planted net pot. This brought the roots ~ 1/2" closer to the nutes when they flood the tote. If I had a bigger rez (2.5g) this would not be necessary: feeding 2 totes with ~ 2G is not enough to adequately fill each tote. Plant is reaching up today :hello:

WooHoo [​IMG]

11/11 Silver Skunk seeds cracked with tongues all sticking out

Hoping to finally find phenos closer to the original back gross so I can begin cloning for larger plants. ~ 35 grams per is not where I want to be

Soaking the Starter cubes now.

Added some HR +Size to invigorate root development

7. #47 Peflora, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
    Silver Skunks sprouted on 11/30

WWxWH: G13 sprouted on 12/19 are growing really fast, but leafs are light green. Bleaching? I just raised the lights a few inches

Silver Skunk 260

Being Indica dom, it's time to drop light schedule(currently 13 hrs) and increase nute ppm (Friday's next nute change from ~ 450 to 550 HR V+B + ~ 300ppm Mg) to accelerate sex

The SS on the right (pic 3 & 5) has a great shape. Depending on how it stretches might be good for clones, assuming it's a she

New SS seeds beginning to pop out of starter cubes. The clear egg crates have clear lids, which I close during lights on to increase humidity

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      297.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Where I wanted to see whether I could get another BIG Big Mex (200+gms), as I did first time, due to small harvest this time ~ 35gms each BBCC and Big Mex, which are already going fast, I need to push these plants into flower mode ASAP. Hopefully the one on the right is a Big Mex (Sat dom) although it looks very Indica dom at the moment

Be looking toward the 11 seedlings for a BIG Big Mex that I can nurture and clone

9. Just a quick update

9/11 Med-Man Silver Skunk seedlings have broken through and are about to open their cotyledons :hello:

Pics tomorrow

10. #50 Peflora, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    Silver Skunks making a big growth spurt thanks to inserting them into 1/2g air pots. My hydro store owner urged me to do so, and he is correct

9 seedlings opening up. I had to double netpot them so I could add a layer of stones between them to raise the starter cubes up a bit as the cubes were getting too much water. I tried to pump the excess, but the water level was too shallow, and removing the netpots and dumping some water would be a PITA.

Once root system develops more I will remove the second net pots

BrandX plants are doing well also. Weird thing happened over night- the tote on the left fell, traumatizing that plant, but nothing serious. I did not take a pic of it

Fresh nutes today bumped to ~ 550 + ~ 200ppm Mg

Pic colors are not actual. I keep forgetting to turn off the reds when taking pics. I then try to adjust using color tools

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      947.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  11. New job is going very good so far, definitely a ton to learn in very short amount of time, but so far I'm doing well and making good commissions. Just wrapped up a tradeshow all week in Vegas and was so busy I didn't even have time to "do vegas right" haha but I came back with a ton of sales and connections which was good :) plus the company had the biggest baddest booth at a major home builders convention.... beer, 50+ large brand new Imacs, 10 models and  music blasting... was a hell of a lot of fun. but definitely wore me out.

On the solar specs, are you using the ones with cree's or the epistars? was there a wattage difference between the bml and the SS? did you figure a gram per watt at all to compare or was it on total weight? I bet putting the all white panels with some BML would provide some killer spectrum and yield :)

Man I love when you get that high that just seems to keep on coming in waves like that... the GSC I just finished does that where you might take a hit or 2, and put down the pipe and hours later you are wondering if you took another hit or not...LOL...

12. #52 Peflora, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    Good for you. Vegas is a trip, even if you don't gamble

AFAIK the SS I am using are Epistars. I am fortunate to be chosen to be an official tester after Amare watched my BML thread. I happily take what's provided to report on

They are not 100% white.  600-630 reds added for flowering

SPYDR I have, I selected the mix of diode spectrums (~ 80% ww), but it lacks separate control switches for veg/flower

The SS 260 has them, but I want more ww during veg, which they are addressing in the next run. Sat dom plants definitely like more ww during veg as well as flower

The SPYDR is ~ 300w actual (6 bars @ ~ 50w/). I also have 2 4ft BML bars that I specd for flower and added them to the sides of the SPYDR grow once buds set

I have thought to add the 2 bars with the SS 260 (actual w), for now need to finish with just the 260. The wattage is deceiving in that it's ~ 300 lpw + secondary lenses with umole greater than a 1000w hps at 12" without much heat at all

This grow is going much better than my first effort, because I started out running both v & f

IMO, being able to power up the reds once it's time to flip (along with increased ppms and lower light schedule) sends a signal to the plant that it's time to build buds, though again, sats need less of an inducement due to warmer sun color year round

g/w is a non starter as I am not running clones. I grew 2 Med-Man Silver Skunk F1 back cross under the SPYDR. One was a big sat (~ 260gms), the other a small Indica, with < 1/2 the dry weight of Big Mex.

Had I grown 2 of the big sats I would have gotten > 454

13. This morning I pulled the reveg and a super small Silver Skunk from the 2 SS 150 tent. I will let them finish outside

2 of the seeds have yet to break out of their starter cube, but 9/11 should provide for a good selection to choose from

14. #54 Peflora, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    I probably found the answer to the necrotic leafs.

About 10 days ago I was making up fresh nutes, and as always checked the ppm after adding the Epsom Salts (first ingredient), which I shoot for
    < ~ 300ppm

I use an electric hand mixer to assure a complete mix

Well, I got a false reading. Seems the top of the water was >50% diluted from the bottom. Actual ppm > 600

That would leave a mark and likely cause some yellowing

The Med-man seeds under the SS 260 handled it no problem, but the BrandX (different strain) not too well

Took 2 clones from the biggest plant under the SS 260- popped them into the seeding bubbler

15. #55 Peflora, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
    Since i took pics for a new Hydro thread I started Bubble Bath For Seedlings and Clones

I decided to take more pics of the plants.

I added the Cube around the biggest Silver Skunk so I can start opening up the canopy. Also if this is a Big Mex the side branches can get a couple feet long and will benefit from training and support

Once again, I forgot to turn off the reds before taking pics :mad:

Attached Files:

16. There looking awesome they don't get much healthier looking then that

17. This morning I took 2 clones from the largest BrandX plant

No idea yet whether either of the strains are female

Fingers crossed

18. #58 Peflora, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015
    Great news, so far the bigger of the 2 Silver Skunks is a female. Noting how much she has grown in 7 days, most likely the Big Mex pheno, though the leafs are very Indica

1/2 BrandX WW x G13 is big enough that I 'Cubed' it. Sigh, the bifurcation point ripped apart when I tried to stretch each branch toward the cube sides. No worries, tied it snug and will let it heal before spreading again. Damn, neglected to turn off the reds before taking pics

Seedlings and Clones

I need to take the new seedlings out of the smaller net pots and drop them into the slightly larger net pots, then fill higher up the stem with rock

So far, all clones are looking good. No wilt at all :hello:<span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);"> </span>

Temps here have been low 70*s day and low 50*s nights

Attached Files:

19. Where did you get your lights i cant find them on the net anywhere

20. www.amaretechnologies.com

Alas, it doesn't come up in all search engines