newbie First time grow 1 Ortega 2 MKS (Master Kush Skunk)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Nwstoner253, Jan 2, 2015.

1. #1 Nwstoner253, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Hey GC :smoke:

So as it says on the Title I'm a Newbie grower attempting to grow my first 3 Plants
    Just had a couple of questions to ask if anyone cares to help out a fellow Stoner/Newbie grower!

My plants are about to be 3 weeks on Sunday, Jan 4. I had them on a 24 hour light cycle the First two weeks and then changed them to a 20/4 light cycle the other five days. ( Lights were 2 CFL's 100Watts)
    and this is how they look. The bigger ones center and left are MKS and the one to the back right is the Ortega there was two but the other one died :cry: Lol it grew for a day or two then stopped growing I must of touch the root when it barely sprouted.  As of today, Jan 2 I have turned on my 600W HPS and am wondering if that is to much for them. They are probably about 3 or more feet away from the hood light. I am using a grow tent SunHut  XL,4X4 dimensions are   3.3ft x 3.3ft x 6.5ft
got a carbon filter one air Booster to circulate the air and a fan to cause turbulence when they get bigger.  â€¨
    weed1.jpg weed2.jpg weed3.jpg

Also, should I continue to use that light cycle or would it be better to switch to 18/6? or does it really even matter? My next question after that is when should I/Can I start giving my plants nutrients? And what would be the best type/Brand of nutrients to buy to make them GROW HUGE!! :yay:and last what do you guys think of my plants?? there looking very nice to me!!

I've already done quite a bit of research before this but would like others opinions from experienced grower or in general anyone that is willing to help me out and give me some tips on what to improve/change!!

Attached Files:

2. #2 killset, Jan 2, 2015
    Everyone is going to give you a different opinion on the light schedule. Don't be switching it around a bunch though or your plants can stress. Pick one and go with it, next time try another and see what you like best. In the winter I use the heat from my light so I run 24/0, summer I do 18/6 in order to run less a/c. Personally I don't see much difference, some people do.

Nutrients.....if your growing from seed I wait till after the cotyledon leaves fall off and the plant will get this "depleted" look to it. A lot of that depends on your soil. Some comes loaded with nutes, some brands don't. If your growing from clone, let it get growing and it will start that depleted look, once again depends on soil. Either way start out real light, like a quarter dose or so

Which nutes are the best...your opening up a can of worms there. A lot of people right now seem to be getting away from bottled nutrients and moving to properly built organic soil, that requires only water, sometimes a compost tea. I used to grow with fox farms because its readily available here and easy to use, also had great results, but I never tried every brand out there either. I've given up the bottle and am on my 1st grow w/ organic soil. In the long run its cheaper and easier for me

3. Thanks for replying! I figured I keep them on the light cycle there on they seem to be growing good. my next grow I'll probably try a different light schedule. But they came from seed I also looked at the soil the brand is Black gold and is Natural & Organic with fertilizer, So I'm guessing they should be good without nutes for awhile? Also what type of fox farm did you use? I was thinking of getting FF soil and nutes.
    And what do you mean properly build organic soil? I have a friend who's way older an more experienced grower then me but he says to make a soil that's half chicken manure (or any manure) and half organic soil is that what you mean?

thanks again for replying!

4. #4 killset, Jan 2, 2015
    From what I've heard black gold seems pretty good for the price, but I've never used it. Its organic so its not loaded in nutes in the way you may think. But like I said I haven't used that particular soil. But ya a plant from seed brings its own lunch, the small rounded cotyledon leaves that 1st appear are the lunch box. You're good till after they fall off. I got some plants from seed that I put in soil December 5th and the cotyledons are just starting to yellow so they probably will fall off in a week or so, to kind of give you an idea.

Your friends right, there's a bit more to it and there's a great organic section on here to find out information and peoples soil recipes. Basically you use organic materials to get everything or almost everything in the soil before you grow, then the micro organisms take over and feed your plant for you, taking all the guess work out of it. It does take some time to originally get the soil going, you have to gather the ingredients and let the soil cycle for a month or better. After that it's just water and sometimes the occasional tea or maybe top dressing. Trust me not a tea you want to drink yourself...lol you'll see. I like it because its a bit more relaxed and forgiving of a way to grow as compared to force feeding with bottled nutrients. Another benefit is you know whats going into your soil and its natural as opposed to some factory putting whatever in a bottle. I'm new to this organics game, so I'm not the best to give you advice on that. Wish I would of done it awhile ago. But most start out just the way you're doing. If your interested check out the stickies in the organics section and read up for maybe your next grow.....good luck

5. #5 Nwstoner253, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    Seem like's a good soil I only had a little bit left so I used it to start the seeds. now for when they get bigger and I have to transplant them I got fox farm happy frog and have chicken manure to make a mix for 10 gallon buckets I figured I'd put about 1/4 manure and the rest soil (not quite to sure how much I can put don't want to burn them out) as for the nutes holy Sh*t there's some many to choose from I didn't even know where to start. The guy working was very helpful and had charts for how to give them nutes but there so expensive!!! So since I'm new  to growing i'm just going to use a generic nutrients(poor mans Budget) which the guy recommended since im also a newbie

again thanks for replying and pointing me in the direction of organic section!!! I've been looking into and found it helpful :hello:  :smoke:

the bigger one is MKS smaller one Ortega
    weed5.jpg
    weed6.jpg

anyone else want to help a fellow stoner out? just wanna know if I'm doing it right an what to improve on overall

I live in Washington and I guess there trying to take all medical dispensaries away!! :mad:
    and I will NOT pay 35 bucks a gram when I"ve always paid 10-12 dollars top shelf

6. here's how they look now one month an a week (sorry for the bad pics the light for some reason makes the lines when I take pictures with my iPhone 4)
    weed9.jpg weed10.jpg

but I was also wondering if anyone has this ph hydro tester pen? just bought it yesterday and don't know really to much about it other then what the guy at the store told me and that was to always keep the sponge wet in a cup with some water in it and that I have to buy some solution's to calibrate it 
    ph1.jpg

Also has anyone used this nutrient's the brand is general hydroponics?

nute1.jpg
    chart1.jpg