Stealth Micro LED PC grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by NinjaBuds, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Hi everyone!

Starting my second grow, a lot of lessons were learnt from the first one. Even though it was successful, I would like to make the process a lot smoother, get better yields this time and hopefully provide some interesting reading.

PC case: 50x50cm, 40x30cm grow space

Lighting: 90 watts of high power LED lighting. 50 watts 6400-6500k 40 watts 3000-3100k 

Plant: 1 White Widow

Grow medium: 2/3 Potting Soil and 1/3 vermiculite mixture 

Nutrients: Nitrosol and Multifeed (Closest equivalents I can find to Foxfarm in South Africa)

Any questions/advice is welcome :p

Here are some pics of the case and lights. Seed is busy soaking will start posting more pics when she sprouts.

Cheers for now  :wave:
    grow journal 1.jpg
    grow journal 2.jpg
    grow journal 3.jpg

2. Hi ninjabuds, looking great man! I'm really interested in the high power LEDS you are using. Do you have more information about the wiring and the drivers? Thanks!

3. Hi weedle.

The 50 watt 6400-6500k LED came with its own driver, so it was a simple as soldering red to positive and black to negative.

For the 4 x 10 watt 3000-3100k it was a little more complicated. Each LED requires 9v and 1000mA to run. So I sourced a 9-12v 4200mA constant current LED driver from RS components and wired them in parallel (spliting the current and not the voltage).

grow journal 4.jpg

4. Thanks for the detailed information, you convinced me to build one myself! What about the temperatures? I have read that those high power leds can generate a lot of heath. Did you use heatsinks?

5. They do a bit, but nothing compared to CFL's. I can still touch these lights without burning my skin off. Attached below is a photo of the heart of my case. It is an aluminium rectangular tube that I mounted the lights to with thermal paste, and attached to the tube on the right is a high torque AC Cabinet fan. The fan is on a shelf inside my case, pushing air through the Aluminium and out the case. So in essence the aluminium tube acts as my exhaust, light trap, heat sink (for the lights) and carbon filter. The exhaust fan is constantly blowing over the area where the lights are mounted keeping it cool. Mounting your LED to aluminium is a must, but if you don't have good air flow over your lights I would recommend using an actual heat sink. I used to use CFL's and in summer there was heat issues, but now my case is running cool in the middle of summer. Thank you LED technology!

grow journal 5.jpg

6. set up looks great, would be nice to see this to the finish.

7. Nice idea with the tube and thermal paste :) I'm building my own panels and I'm doing something similar with my spare CPU coolers I have laying around :p

Thats a clever design to cool your leds! Are the drivers also in the tube area, or did you put them in another place?

Let me know when you have posted about your diy panels on gc, I'm very interested in this!  :D

9. Thanks man! I'm with weedle would be cool to see your design :smoke:

And I mounted my drivers to the back of my PC since they also produce a bit of heat thought it would be best to keep them on the outside. :ph34r:

10. Hey everyone.

Sorry for no updates. looks like my seeds were a bit old. Took forever for the root to sprout on this seed. but it finally did and its now in the pot.

Did some calculations and found that when my seedling sprouts,the light from my LED could potentially kill it, since the 50w puts out as many lumens as 200 watts of CFL , so i put in a temporary 20w CFL for the initial stages of the plants development.

11. Day 1

So the seedling has pushed through and is looking healthy.
    grow journal 6.jpg

Going to keep the cfl there until the first true leaves have developed properly ^_^
    DSC_2170.JPG

:ph34r:

12. the lone survivor :/ get moar babies bruh'  

just dont keep it under that one cfl too long, when you see stretching start the powa ! i had mine under ~40w of led from start, they are cool with it if you keep the distance.

Let the ride begin! Good luck!  :D  :hello:

14. #14 NinjaBuds, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015

Yeah! I wish more of the seeds had germinated. Was the only one to pull through. Seeds are really old  :confused_2:

and yes flipped it over to LED already :D. Will update tomorrow for day 5. Just had to keep in mind my PC is rather small, so couldn't keep it at a safe distance while it was fragile.

15. Day 6.

Wanted to update yesterday but the power was out so had to postpone to today  -_-

My White Widow is doing really well. Starting to grow really fast. Watered for the first time today.
    DSC_21791.JPG DSC_21771.JPG DSC_21761.JPG

Looking to update every 5 days or if something interesting happens. :D

Any questions and advice is more than welcome :gc_rocks:

She looks healthy so far  :D  Offcourse update as much as possible, I updated my topic daily in the beginning haha  :lol:
    Can you share your total costs you have spend on your light setup (included drivers) ?

17. Thanks! I'm hoping its a she  :lol: making a box from whatever I can find so I can force sex from the top i'm going to take, so i don't waste my time completely.

For the costs involved i was lucky because I had a lot that I could use from my first grow, but here is what its cost so far:
    50watt 6400-6500k LED and driver $10
    10watt 3000-3100k LED $2 x 4 = $8
    Driver for 4 10watt LED's $70
    High torque AC fan $5
    5l container $3
    Total $96

China has the best prices on LED's, you just have to be patient to get them :p . I was unable to find a driver that matched my requirements that I could get from china, why that driver is the most expensive item i had to buy.

18. Day 10

Hasn't rained here for ages so the humidity has dropped really low, RH is 27%. I have been misting the inside of my pc case as much as possible, but still the leaves have curled up a little. Despite that she is still growing nice and fast and is about halfway to being big enough for me to start mainlining :yay:

DSC_21841.JPG

19. Looks good so far, still happy with LED setup?

20. Hey Weedle.

Yeah I'm fairly happy now. What I've learnt is that even though the temperatures are lower with LED, the intensity is still really high, which can stress a plant if it gets to close to the light. From that 50watt HIGH power LED, (which is equivalent to 100watts of HID lamp) I need to keep my plant a minimum of six inches away from the light, and when it was a young seedling 14 inches, (which i definitely don't have). So in the limited grow space 50 watts is a bit impractical. Would have rather 4 10watt high power LED's spaced out evenly so i can control the intensity by lighting each one up as i want to increase the intensity and also have a more even spread of light. SO in the minimal space we normally have in micro grows I'd recommend not going higher than 10watt high power LED's and get more of them  :smoke: ( you still need to keep your young plants at least 3inches away from the 10watts)