600w HPS first time grow journal. help me make it work please

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Deleted member 833875, Dec 31, 2014.

1. hey blades finally decided to start a grow journal. i need this to me my first successful grow. hopefully you can help me with that. 

my setup

2x4 gorilla tent
    600w hps dimmable
    rubbermaid DWC set
    technaflora nutrients

my plants have been in veg since 12-25-14. I'm doing 18/6 for veg. they germinated on 12-19-14.

so far I've had a couple problems. my rez temp was way to high. i now have it at 65 degrees. the tent is at 74. i think i had nutrient burn.

right now the ppm is at 411. ph is at 6.0 

one of my plants looks a little yellow and just not the healthiest.

one of them is also deformed. idk why. its the healthiest looking out of all of them, it just has a hole in the leaf and one set of leaves is deformed. any idea what this could be? 

and do these guys look the proper size for being about a week into veg?

the first one is the yellow/ sickish looking one. any idea whatsup? 

the third one is the deformed one. see the one leaf came in fine and the second never grew

Attached Files:

2. hey guys do you think that yellowing is nutrient burn? or not enough nutrients? because before last night the ppm was only 230ish. I'm gunna empty and refill my reservoir tonight i just need to know if i should add nutrients or let them chill in ph'd ro water. 

3. i checked the ppm this morning and it went down so i don't think it was cute burn. i switched out with the water with ro water and added 1/4 strength nutrients. the ppm is now at 196. 

4. #6 smoosh, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    I think they look good. They could look better, but as they grow they will get stronger. Just watch the temps in the tent and water, humidity, and light height. You can hold back on the nutes for now if feeding tap water. I don't use RO, check other threads and ask don't wait for them to come here and answer your questions if you are new. You will get a quicker answer.

Don't do too much, for now they are growing decent. If you see my three seedlings right now you would panic. They been in very cold water and are wilted. I just added today a water heater hopefully that should do it soon.

Keep it simple they probalbly are just a little stressed because of the high temps like you mention. Let them recover.

Next time you change the reservoir try to get a 5.8 PH.

5. thank you. the middle one looks a lot better now. the deformed one is starting to grow as well. I'm gunna post some pics tomorrow morning of how there doing. thanks again for the advice dude

6. #8 smoosh, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    One more thing. After adjusting PH at 5.8 once, leave it like that. Since you are new consider changing reservoir every week or two instead of adding more nutes and adjusting PH.

Then leave it alone, don't add more nutes except for Cal Mag and don't adjust PH unless you see some sign in the plant that something is wrong.

I am new myself to hydro and aero. Going to my second grow right now. I think I messed up my first one with over defoliation, but it will still be potent!

Keep it simple ;)

7. hey guys, i have a couple more problems now. I'm pretty sure i have root rot. the roots have brown shit all over them. i have 3 medium airstones in the tub now, but i have an extra 12" arisen that I'm going to add to make more oxygen. my rez temp is 70 which i know is way to high. I'm using frozen water bottles as much as i can. 

im also going to make the tea stuff for it and use that. 

do you guys think these things should cure it?

8. Never grown DWC, on my first Hempy grow myself, but from what I read if you catch it early the tea could fix it. I also read that H2O2 (Hydrogen peroxide) could fix it but I'd be careful and research that one. Now if it's been a problem or continues to be id look into the products they sell to fix root rot.

9. No H2O2, doesn't work and will kill good bacteria.

Get Botanicare Hydroguard!!! That not only will fix your problem but it will also prevent it. New white healthy roots will come from the rotten ones!

Amazon has two day shipping if you don't have it close by. Get it fast!

10. Regarding res temp if yours is at 70 that's perfect! You want to keep it between 65 and 75 degrees. Now more no less. 70 is perfect. I keep mine at 68. Mine was around 60 and below, it gave me problems. Look at the three auto seedlings I have recovering from temps below 60.

70 is perfect

11. I was under the impression that the good bacteria thing only applied to organics? I could very well be wrong but I read that on a post somewhere I believe

12. Probly not what you want to here but for a first successful grow I would suggest a soiless medium. So much easier. I traded my DWC for a hempy and I'm very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Some say hydro, some say soil. Whatever you decide, there's gonna be experience curves for each and it's always a good idea to figure out the advantages and disadvantages to each to make a well educated decision! Hempy is one of the simplest of the methods, and produces good results, but requires hand watering which means you'll have to be methodical and watching more often, but with a DWC you can (in theory) leave it for days while being confident that everything is okay! I'd say soil would be cheaper and seem simpler but it's a lot harder to make small adjustments like you can in hydro where you're creating the entire environment.

The bad news, you can get root rot in most methods of growing lol

Sorry for rambling! Just some things to consider for your next grow!

14. Regardless hydrogen peroxide don't work and can do more harm than good. Is a myth in my book, but if you have some experience with it then share with us. I just would be careful with it.

15. #17 OQuinn24, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    It may not, like I said I'm only on my first grow and I haven't actually ran into this problem (yet). I've used hydrogen peroxide to kill the mold growing on top of my rapid rooters during the seedling stage and it worked fine, it is worth mentioning that you use very little in ratio to the amount of water you have. I didn't use any exact measurements, but it's better to have less than more imo. That's why I said do the research on that first because I wasn't sure, but in any case he'd be fine with that Botanicare solution you provided earlier for sure. If you have the money, go with that one!

16. Here's a post that talks about using H2O2 for root rot and how it can be done, as well as how it works if you're interested! I'd consider it as a cheap option. Also, this was just the first link that popped up when I googled "hydrogen peroxide for root rot".

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/707074-using-hydrogen-peroxide-treat-prevent-root-rot.html

17. Don't worry buddy we got you. We going to make it work.

The main causes of root rot are these.

* Bacteria in the water.
    * Lack of oxigen.
    * Reservoir temps above 75 degrees.
    * Reservoir water expose to light or the elements. Make sure dead leaves, etc.. don't fall to your reservoir.

What can you do?
    *Make sure no light gets in the reservoir and that is not exposed to the elements.

*Don't let temps in reservoir get higher than 75 or lower than 65.
    * Make sure you have plenty of oxigen in the reservoir.

* Use Hydroguard to treat it and for prevention.

Treat it as soon as possible.

Let's know the progress and post pictures. You will be fine.

18. #20 smoosh, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    Yes definitely do a lot of research on hydrogen peroxide in hydro before using it. I had root rot before and used hydrogen peroxide myself after reading a post. It didn't work at all and then I research some more and found out why it doesn't and why is not good to use in hydroponic.

Hydroguard worked like a charm.