Fine Tuning My Liquid Organic Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by ThePlantGuy, Dec 30, 2014.

1. #1 ThePlantGuy, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    It's been a while since I've been on Grasscity - so long in fact, that I forgot my old username and password - but I learned a majority of what I know about cultivating cannabis from this forum, so I thought this would be a good place to come back to now as I'm entering a new phase of my learning. 

I currently live in a state that has yet to catch up on legalization, but I have been working towards my eventual goal of being a cannabis farmer regardless. I'm currently trying to develop a recipe for an organic liquid fertilizer to use as my liquid solution in my hydroponic system instead of using water with bottled nutes. Due to the legal barriers, I have been using legal plants to test my processes, figuring that I will be able to use very similar methods and fertilizers for cannabis down the road.

My current plants include quinoa, squash, a sunflower that I plan to bonsai, and a weeping rosemary cutting. I'm particularly interested in the quinoa, as I understand this plant is quite similar to cannabis in many aspects. 

My liquid fertilizer so far consists of a mix of organic materials and well water which I let brew for 3+ days in 5 gallon buckets with air pumps pumping air through submerged air stones. I just recently added a heat pad, as the basement in which the plants and liquids stay is pretty chilly relative to the rest of the house. Once I'm satisfied with the brew, I strain it through cheesecloth and use the liquid as the base for my hydroponic system, only adding a little more well water or more of the liquid as it slowly evaporates. However, judging by the growth on my plants so far, I think this mix might be a bit too concentrated, but that's why I'm here. 

My organic materials include:
    - Molasses
    - Raw Sugar
    - Cow Manure
    - Mushroom Compost
    - Plant Tone Organic Fertilizer 
    - Soluble Kelp Powder
    - Azomite Rock Dust (for trace minerals)
    - Organic "Lawn and Garden" soil which has a mix of cow manure, pine bark fines, and other materials in it

The plants are currently growing under a single LED light, which is the prior version of this light: 
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 12.08.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 12.12.44 PM.png

I already know that this light alone is not enough to promote maximum growth and will be ordering a larger light within the next couple weeks to replace it (the smaller light will then be used over seedlings). I also know that the low temperatures these plants have been growing in has contributed to their relatively slow growth.  
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 12.10.42 PM.png

Now on to my questions:
    What can you tell me about my plants and the liquid in which they are growing based on what you've read here and these pictures?

DSC_0631.jpg
    DSC_0632.JPG
    DSC_0634.JPG
    DSC_0635.JPG

What nutrients are present in excess or what nutrients are these plants lacking? I think they might be low on nitrogen based on the somewhat pale green color of the leaves. I'm also inclined to believe these leaves are showing signs of nute burns, but if I'm unsure of anything in the horticultural realm, it's how to diagnose these issues.

I'm also very open to any suggestions you have for my project, so please feel free to throw whatever you have at me!

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post, just wanted to be sure I get all the possibly useful info in there!