First indoor grow led and cfls

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by lake irie smoker, Dec 30, 2014.

1. What's up stoners
    Let me start by saying I'm new to grass city and new to indoor growing.

This is also my first digital grow journal.
    I'm growing 2 chemdawg #4 plants in fox farms ocean forest soil in 2.7 gallon pots using fox farms nutes also. I'm growing in a 24" x 18" x 42" grow cabinet i made myself.
    The lights I'm using are...

One Apollo horticulture 180w
    (100-120 actual watts)

Two 100w (23 actual) 2700k CFLs

Two 100w (23 actual) 6500k CFLs

I received the plants as freshly rooted clones around 2 weeks ago and over watered one almost immediately lol. I nursed it back tobhealt and began topping both plants as soon as the had 4 nodes.
    They both seem to be doing quite well so far. The plant I over watered (I'll refer to as "plant 1" and the other "plant 2")
    Plant one has been bent over for some LST experimenting and topped twice some how giving me six tops :)

Plant two has only been topped once and has given me four tops.
    I think the strange number of tops is due to the fact that neither clone was very symmetrical when I got them. Idk for sure. I've also recently decided to scrog them.
    Smaller plant = plant one
    Bigger plant = plant two

Lemme know what ya think. All questions/ comments/ tips are welcomed and appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Looking pretty good man. 

3. Thanks man.
    You got a grow going that I could check out?

4. #5 mop420head, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  5. Thanks bro! I'm slowly beginning to love LEDs too. Next to no heat and low cost to run. The CFLs are a lot closer now too. I'm probably going to upgradey lighting to have another of the same UFO and four more of the same CFLs. I'm also in the process of building a new box to fit all the lights in after the new box is complete I will be adding one maybe 2 "og" seedlings I just sprouted.

6. Subbed! Glad you did decided to start a journal. Awesome!

7. Thanks man. First time growing with electricity and first electronic journal. Haha

8. Yea. Me too. I'm a new grower. Made a lot of newbie mistakes but I'm getting my girls under control and its worth every step of it. I was  just tired of giving my dealer all my cash so I decided to smarten up and get my grow on. Its amazing how much help you will get off of this site while you are learning. There is some serious "grower minds" on here.

9. Yea thus place is amazing. I've was a non member reader here for AWHILE before I decided to make a profile. I just wanted to grow my own stash again. (I've grown twice outdoors with mediocre results) haha. I grow some of my own vegetables and they taste better knowing the work I put into raising them. I feel like its the same for herb. Even if its not that great its still better to grow your own BC eventually you will get better at it. Haha.

10. Nice little plants man. I am growing with CFLs right now too and I hope to move up to LEDs soon. Do you like your LED light?

11. Thanks man. I do like my light ALOT but if your budget allows (mine kinda didn't) I would recommend buying a better brand and higher wattage than mine. I paid like $120 for my 180w light I believe and I wish I would waited a week and just grabbed a 240-300 watt instead BC now I'm thinking of buying another of the same light I have when for the same price I could just got one higher powered light.

12. Thought I'd add a shot of the roots (for those who are watching) on plant two from the last time she was transplanted. She was about ten days old at this time. :)

Attached Files:

13. Started working on my new box today. The ply wood is only leaning against it at this point haha ;) 2x2x4

Attached Files:

14. Thanks for the support....noticed you subbed! Awesome!

Your set up looks sweet. It looks like it will be a great growing area!! Any plans to line it with a reflective film or paint once its up? Your top game is on point. Look forward to seeing the girls in their new home

15. They are looking good man! Subbed and here to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Thanks man! First time topping a plant. Yea I haven't quite decided between white paint or the same mylar coat bubble wrap I was using in my last box. Any suggestions? The plan with the new box is to add two "OG" seedlings that I have in a small CFL box i made for them. I'm gonna veg the chemdawg plants for a couple extra weeks so the og can mature and then I'll flower all of them. They should be in the new box by tomorrow / Thursday.

17. Hmm well i never used either but I've seen a lot of growers use Mylar but that may be more pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Enough mylar to cover the inside of my box would only cost me like 30-40 bucks so I may go that route buy I've heard that its not that effective unless its applied correctly with little to no creasing. I don't know how I would apply it without using chemicals that I don't want fuming into my box.