New To Growing, Grow journal... help always loved.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by disonma35, Dec 30, 2014.

1. hello, first off let me say i have my medical card, and live in Michigan. so i thought might swell get a grow tent started since i didn't see me getting out of my apartment anytime soon.  so i have a walk in closet i took apart so i could fit the tent inside. had to build it around me it was such a tight fit!

View attachment 1656445   is my closet with just the poles up.
    IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG   this is the Intake fan in the back of the closet on the ground.
    IMG_1551.JPG  this the the intake vent blowing on the clones
    IMG_1544.JPG  this is the exhaust fan sitting on the shelf almost above the tent, with a home made muffler i made out of a box, and foam.
    IMG_1539.JPG  view from in my room.

IMG_1542.JPG   my 4 clones are
       1- Death Star.
      1 - Sour BlueBerry
     1- Cherry pie 
      1 - lemon cake ( never heard it) 
    got them all from my local store.

i will be posting more pics when they start growing more, right now I'am just reading as much as i can, still trying to learn when should i start using nuts, i just bought some Photosynthesis Plus and wanna start using it once a week.  other then that is there anything else i should do?  i live in a apartment, so far its not that loud, and hoping to get a carbon filter by time they start stinking.  

my tent is 55in by 55inch, so 4 plants should be good, was thinking 6 but only could afford 4 clones at the time.  
    I'm using Roots Oraganic soil right now, and thinking of upgrading once they are ready for a bigger pot.

my lights I'm using is a 4 light T5 as of right now, I'm looking into a 600w Hps + hood. since closet and dealing with heat factors. 

i also not sure if they were topped yet, I'm trying to look but not sure, i will be trying LST, since I'm new and don't wanna hurt my girls, 

i got the clones the 28th, I'm on 24/0 still but not sure when i should switch to 18/6....hmm

any thoughts or advice would be much loved<3    
    stay high! and peace out!

2. sorry all the pics are sideways, i didn't take them sideways lol    :bongin:  :confused_2:

3. Samsung Galaxy S3? lol just a wild guess ours does that all the time.

4. lol nah Iphone5  but i thinking of switching to galaxy when this time is up xP

5. #5 Grow2dab., Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    Topping won't hurt them mate it will just slow them down for a bit as they recover. There are so many different ways to increase yield you just gotta find the way that works best for you. Allot of the time it a combination of things that works best for me.

Looking good so far. :smoke:

6. #6 disonma35, Dec 30, 2014
    True, was just hesitant cause never done it before xD    yea I'm trying to read up all the different ways i could go, 

and thanks!  :hello:

7. IMG_1545.JPG    this is what it looks like when you open my closet...  a magic door behind, a door  :smoking:

8. Top LST top lst some more, and then some more. You wont regret it. And even if you fuck up a top the plant wont care itll keep on growing!!!
    Dont be afraid to supercrop even tho it sounds scary as hell it really isnt bad at all lol. Its the great thing about MJ when it comes to height management Itll usually bounce right back and still be a pain in your ass trying to climb even higher,

9. since I'm only using t5 right now, which is my buddies, i want to buy a HPS +hood setup,  do you think a 600w would be better then a 1000w since i could get it closer to the plant?  

10. What climate do you live in? If you can deal with the heat get as big a light as you can.

11. #11 snoopdog6502, Dec 30, 2014

If you go with the 600's buy two. You can run them on a 15 amp circuit but you cant run 2 1,000w safely on a circuit.

Otherwise get the 1,000w, hell get two 1,000's. and add power circuits.

You can get 1,000's close to the plants just fine, it is a lot more light.

12. right now with the t5,  the temp is around 80 in the tent under the light,     i live in michigan so right now its pretty cold outside.

13. #13 aj69420g, Dec 30, 2014
    i currently run a x8 bulb T5 6500k's for veg in one tent. And have two small flowering tents with x2 600w HID lights in each one. Totalling 2400 watts of HPS/MH and i love it!

always 600s over 1000s. the lumen count from x6 1000w bulbs IS less than the lumen count from x10 600w bulbs. Same 6000w's of power though. 1000w ballasts are also far less efficient than 600 watters because x5 120v|1Amp coil packs = 5 Amps or 600 watts. This makes for MUCH more efficient power transformation (knocking down voltages) just simply due to its 600w usage.

600 watt ballast may use as much as 10% of the power (60w). Digital ballasts typically use around 5% (30-35w).

1000 watt ballasts may use as much as 15% of the power (150w). Digital ballasts typically use around 11% (110w)

This math is why our federal government makes sure all outdoor streetlights are 600w HPS or MH. Not 1000w because of the far less efficient style.

Go for more 600s. its the way to go! I run 2 digilux's per tent and get 190k lumens. :)

Im in michigan too buddy (Macomb County) so if you ever want a 7 year vet's help let me know!

14. They're ready for harvest 

15. I have another Question, My Intake Fan, is way stronger then my exhaust fan, should i switch them around? i thought blowing more new Air in would be better cause its not that hot inside, but maybe once i get the HpS light i will switch so i could get the light closer to them,  i think my intake is some where in the 400's and the exhaust is only 170

16. #16 aj69420g, Dec 30, 2014
    You want your intake and exhaust to match its very important. The way you have it setup now is the only way to have it in order to not burn any fans out. If your exhaust is stronger than your intake it will create a negative pressure on your tent and burn out your intake fan. In my t5 tent I run a 240 CFM duct booster in, and one out. In my 1200 watt HID Tent i run 8 inch 420 cfm fans one in one out and 1 sourcing outside the tent and dumping outside the tent going through the light inside just to cool the bulbs.

In your case I would buy another 400 CFM fan. Do 1 400 in and one 400 out. Then put a duct on either side of your light and run them both out of the tent. Then put your smaller fan on the duct outside of the tent. Have it push the cooler air over the bulb rather than pull air over the bulb. Reason being is if there's any leaks in your light and you're pulling air over the bulb it will vacuum air from inside of the tent and add to the exhaust CFM causing a negative pressure on your tent.

17. damn, wish the guy at the grow store would of told me that... i almost got the 400 fan for my exhaust but the guy at the store, said this one would work just as fine since I'm in a closet, shoulda just went with my gut.  

just got off work and got home, their tips look like they are turning yellow, and the tent is only at 20% humidity,  could that be causing the yellow? i don't think its nuts cause i just put them in new soil soil when i transplanted them 2 days ago, 

18. IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG

any thoughts on why they turning yellow? :/   thinking the humidity and maybe need that moving fan, right now they are just sitting in front of the intake ducting so they have a nice breeze, but maybe its too much?  i kinda believe its the humidity, its VERY dry in there.

19. Rotten roots from too much water. They are the older leaves, pull them off if it bugs you LOL.

humidity means almost nothing. only worry about it when in flower and its over 60%.

Low humidity is fine.

20. won't bug me if i know they will be fine! LOL   
    so should not water for a few days till the soil is super dry?   
    When should i use the Photosynthesis Plus i just picked up from the store,