Astrology is Not Bullspit

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by hibodharma, Dec 28, 2014.

1. American Society for Gravitational and Space Research

"We seek to expand the knowledge of the impact of these environments on biology and physical systems, and to mentor the next generation of scientists and engineers. We are scientists in academic, commercial and federal laboratories
    seeking to understand how gravity shapes our world. Gravity is a fundamental force in which the effects on biological and physical systems are not well
    understood. Understanding how gravity acts upon fundamental life and physical world mechanisms parlays into thousands of applications. For space exploration to
    succeed, this requires a better grasp of gravity."

2. #22 Tokesmith, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
    Gravity does affect life. If the earth was bigger it's gravity would be stronger, so life would have adapted to a stronger gravity.

For example humans have adapted to earths gravity. If humans go to the moon they would have to adjust. Such as transportation. Instead of walking on the moon (which is how our bodies are made to move) humans have to skip/leap around (not how humans are made to move) because of the low gravity. We have evolved to walk because that was the most efficient way for the human species. But if we lived on the moon, we would have evolved into skipping, jumping, etc.

So that's how gravity plays a role in life. It's pretty silly to think the planets positions shape personalities.

3. My horoscope for the day reads " you should tackle emotional or work problems with determination and complete honesty"

Now if that isn't supernatural clarivoyance, I don't know what is!

4. Let me help:

"You will tackle work problems ethically and honestly. You will continue to avoid emotional problems in the same manner that you have for the last 30 years."

I am ready for my PHD.

• Like Like x 1
  5. H-scope should read,

"Yet once more you will be hated by huge numbers of people
    that you've never met,
    and for things that you had nothing to do with."

That's guaranteed to be true. 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gravity is a limiting factor to some extent from my understanding.  Redwoods grow to about the max they can with the current gravity, they just don't have the strength and/or the power to pull water any higher.  With lower gravity that tax would be released and the could grow taller; vice versa for higher gravity.  I think this could be extrapolated to animals as well.
    I'm not sure with dinos but from what I understand higher O2 concertrations allowed insects to grow much larger in dino times.

7. I'm glad that grasscity has its foremost scholars constructing an answer to this crucial issue.

8. i think it is, but it can be fun playing the game

9. #29 llllllllll, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015

Have you properly found out what you astrological sign is? Since astrology was created,The earth's variable tilt has set your astrological sign off by one month.

I dont follow astrology though, i just know a little about it

10. #30 Vetenari, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Âlways good advice... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Being the pig of a man that I am, I always used astrology as a tool to hook up with women....

worked well......"Ass"trology...... :ey:

This is pretty relevant.. to your comment, not the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BickMFHAZR0

13. Think about Pythagoras' music of the spheres.

14. My horoscope's usually right... And i'm a :D:Dstereotypical Aires too haha

Sent from my GT-I5500

Yes because of energy conserving adaptations and consuming mass amounts of energy : fat from other animals

16. Heres how you know astology is bullshit. Explain how it works. You can't. It's ancient superstition.

• Like Like x 4
  17. I once opened my wife's astrology book to her and read her a random horoscope.

She thought it was hers.

Then I did it again for another sign. It was that moment she realized the truth.

The horoscopes are extremely vague in a specific enough way to apply to almost anyone who reads them. Making them seem true.

-yuri

• Like Like x 2
  18. #38 Sam_Spade, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015

If anybody wants to know more about this phenomenon, it is called the Forer Effect, and it is an essentialy component of confidence-trickery and mentalism.

It's not a bad thing, and being fooled doesn't make anyone silly or ignorant. It is an interesting heuristic device used by our brains to make sense of the world, and it can quite a bit of fun when somebody really understands it!

What I think is the most interesting aspect of this, is that when most people encounter something that seems astonishing, they ask themselves the question "How could this person have tricked me?". When one cannot find an explanation, they may erroneously accept the astonhsing event as true and paranormal. I think the second answer that many people ignore is the follow-up of "How could I have tricked myself?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haP7Ys9ocTk

• Like Like x 2
  19. #39 Vetenari, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    Our brains are constantly tricked into falsehoods about our environment, which can sometimes be quite disturbingly persistent :
    http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0
    :p

• Like Like x 3
    Bam!
    These guys nailed it!

Remember:
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman
    \n