Lost Civilizations: An Alternative View Of Human History

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Thejourney318, Dec 28, 2014.

1. The first pyramid was a step pyramid. Before they were building pyramids, they were building flat mounds.. if you look at the first pyramid and only imagine the bottom step, that's what they were making before. To get the step pyramid, they basically built a flat mound, followed by smaller flat mound, followed by another, and another. You could look at the first step pyramid like the first step to all pyramid, but in reality flat mounds were a step before the step pyramid.. and before that, not too sure. Everything evolves over time.. and throughout that time, there were people who wanted to try new things. Sometimes the new thing doesn't work and they learn through trial and error.

But yeah, the oldest pyramid was probably one of the simplest to build. Over time, each would want to out do the previous one.. leading to more complexity, more trial and error.

2. I think you are mistaken that the Great Pyramid was the simplest, and it was never outdone either. As far as I am aware its the oldest and most precise. That suggests to me that they were trying to copy and couldnt match it. Perhaps some of the techniques or technologies or methods were unknown/forgotten. No evidence, just speculating.

3. The Great Pyramid isn't the oldest pyramid..

4. I'm sure there are older pyramids that have succumbed to the forces of nature, and submerged by silt and lots of water.

Now that I am on the computer. The first pyramid was the Pyramid of Djoser. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_of_Djoser
    [​IMG]

Which was constructed by building mastabas on top of each other.. which are these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They were building mastabas before pyramids.. and all it took was someone to put 2 and 2 together a realize you can place them on top of each other. They more than likely didn't even intend to make a pyramid, they just stacked mastabas and pyramid building spurred from there.

It wouldn't surprise me.. not only that, we know they took stones from other pyramids to make new ones throughout time. The ones in the beginning, if there were older ones, would more than likely have been recycled once they got the process down. No point in leaving it stand when you could be using the stone for something else.

6. Plus they're already carved and shipped.

If I become super wealthy, I'd want my home built from solid materials that would stand after a few thousand years, nothing from home depot lol

7. Ok I want to bring up actual lost civilizations say Babylon with its hanging gardens or Atlantis or Eldorado. Now we have ideas where they may have been. This doesn't tell us how the wonders they contained were made. Call it what you will, there was mentioned a cataclysm, what if these "advanced" civilizations were wiped out them. What if say the cleansing of Soddom and Gamorah in the bible (and I say again this is an example only) how the heavens rained fire, was a comet or meteor strike, which in turn caused all of the separate other civilizations to be wiped out too. ( again examples. I believe all and nothing).

Other side? My grass is greener!

We are blades, blades of grass in a field of green.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/1351737-fresh-ronins-paradise.html

8. #69 Iceni Toker, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015

Only a small thing, but there's no way that there's any record of people writing history 50,000 years ago. That's crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historiography#Premodern_history

"The earliest chronologies date back to Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt"  - That's around 5000 years ago. Unless you accidentally put that extra 0 what you claim is hugely inaccurate.

"The official chronicle of the State of Lu covering the period from 722 to 481 BCE, is among the earliest surviving Chinese historical texts."

Also to say that the west 'Doesn't know about Asian history' is a little unfair. Many historians take both Asia and the Middle East into account when studying and writing. Especially in this digital age of lightening fast information.
    The problem is that living in western countries, you're not going to hear much about Asian history unless you seek it out.

9. #70 fromTheOldCountry, Feb 8, 2015

It is actually a requirement to take so many credits in Asian, African, or Latin American history as a history major, as you stated, but I speak from actual experience in the courses. There are also courses like the history of Israel, so most good historians realize they need a knowledge of every region or they cannot paint a true picture of how things came to be while understanding the past.

We learn about ancient Civs also, ancient Greece and we learn a ton about western civilizations like Rome in extensive detail. Well I did because my professor was hardcore. In western civ one and two I was discussing with him in one of those western civs the origins of various barbarian groups. I love it, just doesn't pay enough.

10. #71 Iceni Toker, Feb 8, 2015

Nice, good to know!

I love learning about the same sort of things too. I don't study at Uni or anything, but I love reading narrative history since it's like an epic story.
    Currently I'm reading a history of Jerusalem by Simon Sebag Montifiore which is quite good.

I am sure, it is fairly surprising it still exists given all the war it has seen. Happy reading, Saladin teaches the Christians how to conduct war, they commit serious errors in their attempt to take that city in 1187. You'll see. 

12. It wasn't written, it was basically rope tied in knots. China used this system before they started making paper, but similar rope tying is found in parts of Asia and even turkey.

Though I'm getting this info from historum, history forum, who knows if it's true, though they site everything.

13. I was always taught in school that the north American plate sits on a old plate that converged under the north American plate which caused the Rocky Mountains. Continental Tectonic plates

What if there was a civilization on that continent and the evidence is miles below us?

14. I always believed we had advanced societies long before 10,000 years ago, just fallen or disrupted.

Maybe caveman is fossilized remains of homeless people, living off the land, and cemeteries are all underwater waiting to be discovered.

15. Each stone used in its construction, some weighing more than 50 tonnes, was cut precisely to within
    one fifth of a millimetre, using what we can call ‘ultrasonic vibratory systems'.

Just a quote from a book, I have read many of these and they all say similar things as Pyramids were built using Sound Vibrations with technology far more advanced then ours today.

Kinda makes sense turn up the bass watch the salt dance, Change the frequency notice the salt shape shift and move into order.

16. Humans around for 200,000 years? source ?