Confused about what lightening to use I keep getting diff answers and search results? please help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Dec 27, 2014.

1. I dont have the time for your rambling, incoherent posts.

Don't take the advice then brotha. I'm not gonna beg you to make smart decisions. Good luck learning the hard way.

And if your "97" and your attitude refer to your DOB you're not old enough for this website.

[​IMG]

2. #42 james.wolverine97, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    Are you serious? you chose to share your advice on a topic that is "HOT" and is been going and getting responses from people for few hours can you at least not read to check see if anyone has mentioned what you've said already?
    Ff you've read my previous responses I've questioned people based on their decisions not to prove them wrong or try act smarter but to gain an understanding on why they've chosen those steps. I've explained that also. Instead you choose to repeat what someone has already mentioned and I've responded... 

Attached Files:

3. I started off not knowing a lot either and I'm currently on a simple cfl grow so I'll tell you just a couple things.
    I'm currently running 4 23w equivalent bulbs on one plant and it almost needs more. Although she has gotten to a pretty big size.
    If you do not have the room for a hid lighting system then stay with the cfls. But honestly I've almost spent more on all the cfl's and a hood and cords and whatnot that I probably could have gotten a hid lighting kit for the same price.

For starting off your plant, I went with the 6500k bulbs. Apparently that spectrum is good for the vegetative state. Then get yourself 2700k for flowering. Always remember more bulbs is better.

If it says that it's 23 watts but equivalent to 100 watts. Just pay attention to the 23 watts for cfls. So when people say that a plant needs 100 watts. Take the 23 for every bulb and then add the bulbs to get to 100. So you could do with about 4 or 5 bulbs to get to that 100.

If you have any more questions just quote this and I'll get back to you!

Well you can figure out what it'll cost you pretty easily. kW x hours/day x rate of electricity = per day usage. Then multiply by 30 for a standard month general estimate. Big CFL lights give off heat don't let that CFL title fool you. Still plan to get a fan to circulate air in the grow space, and a bigger one to pull air out (thus creating a negative pressure and bringing fresh air in; passive intake).

I'd get what was just linked http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Compact-Fluorescent-Growing/dp/B00HG1JSX6 for your light. For the fan something <a>like http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-2017-Table-Fan-black/dp/B001V96GG6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1419656858&sr=8-6&keywords=fan+lasko</a> to circulate air. $15 bag of soil, $2 for two containers to grow <a>in, http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-GH1514-Control-Kit/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419656991&sr=8-1&keywords=ph+up+down</a> for pH test and balance and you are at about $115. You'll still need a way to get heat out, so I don't recall your grow space or house temps or even what that CFL will put out with heat... but you can manage a fan to help you out there (or A/C if you are in a really hot area).

5. Yeah sadly, I live in a place where the walls are extra thin, and by thin I mean you can hear people cough next door neighbor and downstairs... so as you may guess heat will escape easily through to nextdoor, also don't want to spend on cooling system such as hardcore ventilation, A no room, B I want my station to be portable, I can move them around if get guests over or for whatever reason, also to keep the bills low, that's why I'd rather get 2-3 or even 1 CFL's.

Whew, that's a whole new world if you are growing in an apartment with people you don't want knowing about your grow. Mostly because it's a good idea to invest more money in a grow like that. Biggest factor being the smell going into flowering. At harvest and dry it's at a really potent level as well.

7. Yeah fan is fine, I like those stuff you sent by link, except was thinking of getting a 7inch clip fan which I can clip onto my clothes hanger from the closet.

8. Just something enough to move your plants a little. Like a gentle breeze they would be experiencing outside. It helps to keep humidity from raising within the plant mass, moves fresh "air" to them, and helps to strengthen their stalk/stems.

9. I hate to say this to you, but the conditions you are in now might not be the best to start up a grow. It seems like too much risk and jail time for the reward you would get. You would only be able to have one plant going but you could have some cfl's with higher wattage like in the 40's or above and just use like 3 or so. But just know you can only have 1 plant running off that, and if it's male, that's a whole month wasted. You'll still need a fan to move air around but you won't need a fancy ventilation system, that's all I need for my grow. You'll just have to see how it works for you and make a set up that works for you.

10. Guesswhat brings a very valid point. You are going to need to invest in a carbon filter or make one. There is no way around it. I'm in a house so it's not as big of deal but if smell is going to be a problem you will need to find a way of getting rid of that stank

11. I'm gonna try it seen as I purchased the seeds already... if I see in anyway I'm in danger or not succeeding I'll terminate it immediately. 

12. #52 WakeNBakeN420, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    e40 socket so its a bigger socket set then regular bulbs reg bulbs are e27. IMO it would work i have a lil 2x2x3 setup and im just gonan run 2 105 watts with some 23w atters along the side im only going for 1 tho not 3-4 rule of thumb is at least 100 wats per plant. if u want more yield tho u want HPS at least a 600 watt for ur plants 

13. Holy shit this thread blew up. Glad some of you guys made it in here to explain shit better than my dumb ass. Thanks blades :)

14. Are dual spectrum cfls worth it :confused:. Can u 12/12 a non auto flower seedling???

15. Sort of, if you want a 2 in 1 sort of deal, go for it. Some people argue that multiple spectrums all throughout the grow period are overall better for the growth of your plant. Either way, with CFLs spectrum isn't really that big of a deal.
    And yes, you can 12/12 a non-auto. You  should never have an auto on anything less than 18/6 or else you will be sorely disappointed. It will take a 2-3  weeks from germination to show sex, though.

16. how long would it take if i run it 24 hrs same amount of time or faster? i wanna crop out in 4-6 months dont care how much i get.

17. Disappointed how man? I've done it before and it actually turned out better then the one I ran on 18/6. Yeah it took longer but it had better bud. That could simply just be that the 2nd plant was a heavier yielder.

Don't get me wrong I agree that auto's prefer more light and finish faster this way but it isn't necessary to still end up with good product from an auto.
    I wouldn't do it unless I had to but they still do just fine.

18. Autos will finish faster the longer light period's you give them. Don't believe what the package says like "70 days" that's just a gimmick to sell.
    Most autos I've grown take at least 90 day's (that's with lights on 24/7). Otherwise you end up with premature buds.
    Right now I have an auto in a 3gal pot under a T5 that's been on 24/7 since I started it and it's looking like she'll be finished at about 100 day's of being above soil.

19. #59 CanadianOrganic, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
    Really?
    Are you sure it was an autoflower? Just odd. I haven't grown any autos yet persinally but everything I've read suggests that if you have an auto under 12/12 it will severely affect yield.

20. For sure it was an auto. The other 2 seeds in the pack were and it started flowering on 18/6 but eventually I had to flip to 12/12 for the photos.
    I'll check an old memory card for some pics if I think about it later.

Yeah I thought the same thing until I tried it for myself. I mean maybe the yield would have been better had I left it but I was more then happy with the yield.