Confused about what lightening to use I keep getting diff answers and search results? please help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Why not mix it up a bit get 2 105 watt cfls for up high and keep the 23 watts down lower along the sides for better coverage. 

2. Why is that quoted to me? It's not something I said, but I agree with that person on some points.

Don't skimp on the basics, one being light. Just because that person said you can use a 23/100 light doesn't mean it is right. Going along with the not doing research... just google this one. Google will a 100 watt equivalent light grow weed. Or anything similar. So many people will back up us saying use 100 actual watts on a plant. As a new grower you also don't want to expect perfection everywhere to magically make up for your lack of light. You probably won't have perfect soil, perfect water, nutes, pests, etc. which will just add to the problem of a small amount of light.

You can grow for cheap, but relatively. There is still a general baseline for what you will need to spend to get a decent harvest (which is again very relative to the situation/grower/setup).

3. #23 james.wolverine97, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm trying to make sense of this I'm not disrespecting you, I'm trying to make sense of things to see whether I'm misunderstanding the information I was given or I was given wrong information read this quote and explain if its right or wrong or whether I misunderstood it

Indie-Kah, on 25 Dec 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:
    "Yup, 2 of them will work, one per plant. Running one on the outside of each plant and a 2 bulb fixture between the plants with one bulb oriented towards each will do better.

With light and our ladies, always be thinking in Tim Taylor terms, but instead of "more power uh uh uh", it's "MORE LIGHT UH, UH, UH!" If you can control the heat and afford the electricity, give 'em as much as you can. That's going to be true even after you get to where you're doing everything else to perfection. If I could afford it, and had the space and heat control, I'd be running 4,000 watts of HID, around a thousand true of LED and twice as many reptile bulbs as I have in my tent, instead of 2,000 HID, 2 LED spots and a 200 watt LED assembly and 4 reppie bulbs. Yes, that's for a bigger tent (10 by 5 by 10).

As you can tell, I dislike CFLs...I'll be the last person to say they don't have their place...but they're best as a supplemental light source to fill frequency gaps from LED sources, to be honest. Not based off opinion, but the science behind light.

Don't skimp on your ladies any more than you have to.

Dirt can be pricey, for good dirt....but there are DIY guys on here who can tell you how to take just about any trash dirt, a few cheap and easy products (or even free fill-ins), and make your own organic soil that's better than pretty much anything you could buy, anyway. Testing equipment...$10 for an aquarium test kit...works for testing your water pH and ppm and total alkalinity, nitrogen levels, etcetera. And for testing your runoff after watering, so you have an idea what's going on with your soil.

There are work-arounds, redneck engineering solutions, ghetto build solutions, DIY solutions to just about every problem you can imagine with our babies...but you have to know what you need to do and why, and have the equipment to do it.

You've a GREAT resource, here. This crowd of lunatics can solve literally ANY problem with a grow, between them...the trick is to ignore some of the bickering over whose way is better, and figure out for yourself which of the suggested ways being debated or argued over will work for your circumstances.

And, again...first crop, you'll fuck up. Probably a couple times in major ways. If it doesn't kill the plant, at the end, you get to enjoy a bit of your effort, and know "next time will come out better" A couple, three rounds of experience, you'll have picked up enough hands-on to know what works and why, yourself...and you'll be saving some other newbie from "just buy a damn ficus". No shame in being new to it, or not knowing things you haven't been exposed to...nor in getting excited over your new project.

I was an asshole in an attempt to bring you back down to earth and say "Woah there, cowboy! Slow up, you're branding calves before buying a cow!", not just to be a dick. Don't be so eager to be off and running that you kill your chances before you even start, you know?"

4. I fucked up the quotes I'm trying to quote something from another thread and it's fucking up

Ok my new advice is to stop listening to this person. I'll go find a few links that are much more helpful.

6. But what about the "multi spectrum" feature for early crop stages, starting off 2700k then going to 6500k? I mean if I went along with your idea I can only invest on the 6500k that would mean I would need another additional set of 2700k when the 200w is dual?, sorry if I'm questioning you making it sound like I'm challenging you as if I know more, trying to make sense of this.

Thank you.

7. Not to mention the higher the wat the cheaper it costs rather than buying 1/2 x 2.

8. what the fuck, I'm reading literally 5 types of nutrition's needed, is there a 1 formula that contains all? or most of these come from soil? I was just gonna buy tomato fertilizer, do I need all other types?

Don't worry about the multi spectrum too much right now. One of the links I posted goes over how they effect plants and whatnot. I also remember reading CFL lights are rated as 2700k, 6500k, etc. as their peak output comes through in that wavelength. They still produce other spectrums which will grow your plant. You just need to focus on getting sufficient watts to your plants, the spectrum in comparison is not that big of a deal (not for your first grow that's for sure).

1) Get about 100 watts per plant, actual draw.
    2) Decide what soil to use (if using soil). Organic (recipes easily found in the forums from a search) or something like Fox Farm. No Miracle Grow. Both are quite cheap when you are only growing a few plants. In your case (new grow) I would just use Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.
    3) Read up on what pH to stay around for waterings in soil. With Fox Farm or other premixed you won't use anything but some pH balanced water for a good while since the soil has so many nutrients already in it (it'll last about a month). Then some simple nutes can be added later in the grow. pH in soil is best kept between 6 and 7. If you research nutrient uptake regarding pH levels, the plant does best in this range.
    4) Learn light schedules. Basics are veg growth at 18 hours on and 6 off. Flowering 12 on 12 off.
    4.5) Temps and humidity. Try keeping mid 70's throughout the grow. Higher humidity in the veg is preferred but not required (I grow with lower humidity temps, as do others such as those in a desert). Lower humidity during flowering to help prevent buds molding up (an issue with fat buds which usually doesn't happen without good lighting  :smoke: )
    5) Read a lot, but don't worry about little things advanced growers use to gain a little here or there. You should focus on the basics of life for your plants.

Oh, don't over water  :hello:

10. You would still need the 2700k bulbs id get everything u need then double check that list before u even start cuz it sucks playing catch up i know that from personal experience

11. Op, you may be content trying to figure out all the CFL equal to/actual wattage stuff and may even produce some grams of cannabis, but you';ll be growing with an MH/HPS set-up soon after. It just makes sense that if you're going grow, grow the most efficient way possible. Does anyone on GC know someone who is a lifetime or at least 5+ grows using only CFL's? I couldn't imagine.

I think they still have their place. I could see it being great for a small scrog grow. Keep them close, even canopy, low heat output. But generally I agree people move on to HID or LED for higher power grows.

13. It's not about that my life style conditions currently do not meet to go along with those equipment including MH/HPS.

I don't know if you have another thread or not, but do you know your general budget? Because HID setups can be had for really cheap. A few CFL bulbs, some sockets and plugs will add up fast.

BOOM, what about 1 of these inside  a 4-5foot area 3 foot width? 
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAIN-PACKED-300w-DUAL-Spectrum-CFL-grow-light-Bulb-THERMAL-PROTECTED-2p-HR-COST-/270843683608?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Feeding_Bottle_Warmers_Coolers_LE&hash=item3f0f8aa318

16. Honestly if you can't afford a proper setup you should save your money until you can. I wasted a bunch of money in CFLs and building my own fixtures but it didn't really work

this link is for a 400 watt HID system for $150
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ECZQTY/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1419653281&sr=8-1-spellπ=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

this link is for a 250 watt CFL and reflector for $60
    http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Compact-Fluorescent-Growing/dp/B00HG1JSX6

I remember being in your shoes, it's confusing. But keep reading and it will all make sense sooner than you think.

17. Who said I can't afford?, I just provided a 300w CFL link and that's sign of not being able to afford?, you don't really need 400 like mentioned in this thread especially your overly priced 400wats

18. #39 james.wolverine97, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    I just mentioned in this thread that I cannot use HID because it's not suited to my life style, your comment absolutely pissed me off, you talk about reading and yet you fail to read the information I provide. 

19. Erm budget probably $124, it's not just about being cheap it's also about electricity and heat also, I'm trying to stay away from heat and over priced bills to make it cheaper in the long run.