New 500w Plasma Grow Lighting Review

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Saneone420, Dec 24, 2014.

1. #1 Saneone420, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
    Ok, so the AWSOME CEO of Chameleon Plasma Grow Systems, Chris Pieser, has sent me there NEW 500w Plasma Grow Light to do a clone to harvest review for you all! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The strain will be Grape Bubblegum Kush. I will take 4 clones and they will be planted in 3 gal Smart Pots, with FoxFarm soil. I will add perlite, kelp, bird & bat guano, crab shells, some mycos and hummus with black gypsum.

The light can be seen here:http://shop.chameleongrowsystems.com/main.sc 

The company boasts this light will out perform a 600w HPS, at only 500w draw. I have to say from what I have read, this light, hands down is a better choice for any 600w HPS/MH user. And that is what I aim to prove with this review!! 

*Chris notes this on his site:“If you apply this technology in accordance with our Application Notes and are not completely satisfied, send it back. We are not aware of any other horticulture or aquaculture lighting company with this level of confidence in their product.” Chris concludes by saying â€œwhat differentiates us from traditional grow lighting products is our exceptionally robust product design and incredible nutritional sun-light spectrum, there is really nothing else with this quality of light spectrum on the planet.”

Here is a pic of the light from there website 
    [​IMG]

So lets get started with the specs on this bad boy! 

The Chameleon Plasma Grow Light has 34% Longer Lifespan, 22% Less Power Draw, 22% Less Heat then its 600w HPS/MH counterpart. It has Full Spectrum Nutritional Light Energy that Enhances Plant Performance!

Just look at the difference in the CRI (color rendering index)

• 100 CRI - Sunlight
    • 95 CRI - Chameleon Plasma
    • 24 CRI - HPS
    It also has more CCT (correlated color temperature)

• 5780k - Sunlight​
    • 5500k - Chameleon Plasma
    • 2100k - HPS
    It has borosilicate glass, with proprietary anti-reflective coating on both sides. For reflector material, it uses a
    alanod miro silver - 97% reflectivity & 97% diffusion. The list is so long, I will only post a few.

Beneficial UV – 50-400nm (4% of total output)

Enhances Anti-Oxidants, Improves Color, Taste & Smell

Deep Blue – 400-450nm (13% of total output)
    Enhances Vegetative Growth

Cyan/ Green – 450-550nm (29% of total output)
    Optimizes Biomass & Improves Color

Yellow/ Red – 550-700nm (40% of total output)
    Essential for Flowering & Fruiting

Far Red – 700-800nm (14% of total output)
    Enhances Phytochromes, Reduces Stem Elongation

Relative Humidity (non-condensing) - 5% - 95%

Ambient Operating Temperature - 40F – 120F (5C – 50C)

And this light is built to last !

• ​Aircraft Quality Construction
    • Wet Location Rated (see video below)
    ​​
    The best part is it has a 10 YEAR Limited Warranty With a 90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee ![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Plasma Grow Lighting produced 10-13% more total assayable Cannabinoids. (Than samples grown under HPS)

I am going to be doing the Un-Boxing in a little bit, Christmas Eve here so kinda crazy! I will get a bunch of pics up and explain the tent, ect... But I want to know what you guys think with what you know so far. Have any of you used plasma lighting? If so, please tell me about your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you! 
    Happy Growing and a Blessed Holiday to all!
    Saneone420

2. Another fucking advert

3. #3 Saneone420, Dec 24, 2014
    No its not a advert man its a review. The light was sent to me to provide a review with data on the veg growth, node distance, Density, Ect.... I in no way get any commissions, or credit of anykind for anything anyone buys. Also to be noted the light was sent on a testing basis, It is being returned after the demo. 

I hope everyone enjoys the show!

Happy Growing! 
    Saneone420

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 CocoCola, Dec 24, 2014
    Awesome! Looking forward to the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I am happy to be able to provide you with great content!!! :hello:  I will get some pics of the set up done in a bit. I have 3 other things to do reviews on ( 900w LED and a 4x4x6.7 GGT) also but that will be for a new post after this is complete! :metal:  I have the family over for the holidays so I have to say farewell for now.  :wave:

Everyone be safe this holiday season!
    Saneone420 

6. Oh very cool review, I remember when these lights wernt in existance yet and people were talking about them. Im curious to see where this technology goes, along with LED lights. Also what do one of these puppies run? If I remember right it was a little pricy. God damn nice tho, I really look forward to seeing your review. Also is that the ballast on the bottom? (Dont know if it requires one or not)

7. #7 Saneone420, Dec 24, 2014
    The price has come down ALOT in the last few years this unit runs $945.00 it is in the same price range of most high wat leds. The ballast is a 500w  LED driver. The ROI is fast though you can see the caulactor from the website [​IMG]

8. So when will you start? You have to pardon people being skeptical of someone with only 25 posts starting an endeavor like this and others not thinking it is a thinly veiled advertisement attempt.

9. I could buy 2 1000w gativa pros for that much

You could yes, but after a year the plasma cost less and the HPS cost more... Look at the dollar amounts on the chart, and if plasma pricing only goes down more.... Well im sure you know what will happen.

11. #11 Saneone420, Dec 24, 2014
    Its Christmas Eve, but I will get some pics of my tent and what not up soon. 

That does not change the fact that this unit runs $945.00. I am only trying to provide data on a market that needs it.
    Hope you have a blessed holiday!
    Saneone420

12. #12 Saneone420, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
    And the  Gavita 1000 pro is  a great product, but it is  HPS . Plasma is a Full Spectrum Nutritional Light Energy
    and at 500w it will out due a 600w HPS hands down by the data provided. I just want to see if this is true.

13. #13 GoldGrower, Dec 25, 2014

HPS is full spectrum too, 400nm to past 700nm. The "data provided" is the claim. Not the proof.

You can buy a 600w HPS for £125 and when it's time to replace the bulb it costs just £15. 

You can get a 900w LED that actually draws 600watts for £130.

How can you justify spending almost $1000 on a 500w light? 

14. #14 GoldGrower, Dec 25, 2014

Don't believe what you see on that chart. It's not comparing them properly. Its completely biased. Look at the annual HPS bulb costs haha, its all lies. Also the HPS side has the exhaust fan cost added on but the plasma side doesn't mention the exhaust fan cost.

This is why I say it's an advert and not a review. A review is unbiased and doesn't lie about its competitors. 

The cost of the units going down make no difference if you have already bought the unit. 

15. Seems to becoming more common here at GC.

16. #16 Informant, Dec 25, 2014
    This is an advert.  The only other topics/posts you made were for a new USA seed based website.  Seems like that's what you do. 

I mentioned Chameleon plasma lights a week or so ago in another post about hybrids.  Chris knows his stuff and his website has some great technical information compared to many other sites.  The problem with plasma at this point is that it's not that far different from induction lighting and induction lighting has a lot more refining development behind it.  Not saying plasma can't make leaps or offer something more but induction lighting provides similar benefits with less cost right now.  For 1500 dollars - the top of the line Chameleon plasma light - I can get a 1200 watt induction rig with another 400W spectrum gap fill LED. 

However, I do look forward to what Chameleon designs in the future - if Chris can get the LED integration into his housing design more seamless, easily swappable, and multi-directional, without adding too much weight or bulk, then I'll be on board.

It will certainly grow cannabis - and grow it damn well - but it's not yet able to do so for alternative bang for the buck.  Not all artificial lights are made equal but the needs of cannabis are and it can be satisfied for less right now.

17. Lemme see, one plasma or four 600s?  Not really a question.  Saving 100w of power for four times the cost doesn't seem like a good value, not to mention the thing is obtuse.   
    It's cool as far as gimmicks go.

18. #18 Saneone420, Dec 25, 2014
    Lep source efficacy, lumens created per watt consumed, is 15-20% higher than an HID source, because no power is wasted in heating electrodes. Plasma light source efficacy ranges from 115 to 150 LPW at operating temperatures.LEP sources can be utilized to achieve application efficiency more effectively than HID, induction lighting or LED because of its directionality and size. The directional source prevents light from being trapped inside a luminaire. Point source optics effectively maps the source to the illuminated area, preventing unwanted light spill (a source for glare and light-pollution). To further illustrate, please equate light-nutrition to human-nutrition. HPS grow lighting produces only 24% of the proper light spectrum for plants whereas Plasma Grow Lighting produces 95% of the proper light spectrum for plants. If you were receiving only 24% of the perfect human nutrition (like an HPS produces) you would surely not be able to thrive as well as if you were receiving 95% perfect human nutrition like Plasma produces. Another analogy would be this: If you got a 95% on an academic test versus a 24%, it would make the difference between a set of proud parents and a hold on your allowance money. [​IMG]

19. Well after the review is complete we  can make a educated decision based on facts. I know Chris he is a honest guy anything on this light that I have posted came from the website.I am going to start with the pics in the AM I hope everyone has a GREAT Christmas!

20. But you are missing the point. My test/review  is to see if it is a gimmick or not. IMO I think the if the data provided holds true, then this light would be more then worth the price tag. And I think if anyone cant see that, then they are the obtuse thing that we should not mention.

Stay classy and grow happy!
    saneone420