Recirculating DWC Blue Dream 600W grow journal

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by thepurplem0nkey, Dec 22, 2014.

1. #21 Pahly, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    Hi PurpleMonkey,  Well it is exciting, but I wouldn't call it structured, it's just a plan at the moment.   I'm starting back up after a summer shutdown, trying to downsize a bit.  I used to just grow clone to clone of one strain but couldn't keep it during the shutdown.  I couldn't afford to purchase seeds and clones aren't available here, so I decided to try and make a go of it with some seeds I've been hanging onto for a while.  I figured it would be nice to have some variety since I'd been smoking the same stuff for a few years. 

I think your plan is solid, and will cut down your turn around time, maybe even allow you to get an extra crop in.  Mastering a single strain is a great way to go.  It is nice to work with consistency and makes spotting problems much easier.  it also gives you a solid base if you want to try experiments,.   I think having to heat a res is a much better thing to have to do than try and cool it.   I've been inspired by your detailed updates. In the past I've kept a log book but not had any pictures or included any journal entries, only ppm ph temp data.  I started a journal a while back, the link is in my sig if you'd like to take a look.    I'm still a novice at this as well so it is nice to be able to chat with other growers.  

I am a bit concerned about my ventilation, I'm running at 75% of my 600w and temps are ok at 80 but I'm wondering about what will happen when I go up to 100%, I'm running a 240cfm fan pulling through a scrubber and pushing through a seeled hood and then out the tent. Do you think this will be enough to keep the tent temps down??  What size fan are you using?  My ambient temp stays fairly consistent at 70f.

Pahly

2. Hi Pahly,
    Yeah, I enjoy keeping these journals. For one, it helps me stay organized. It also allows for much more experienced growers to make suggestions and/or offer advice.
    As for your fan, I believe I have a near exact system. I'll have to double check tomorrow, if possible, on the fan strength.  I too shut down during the summer as the heat, even indoors, is way too high and comes with way too many problems. That said, in the spring months, my cab will hover in the high 80's to mid 90's-and that was with my 400W system-and everything turned out OK. I think if you have a fan or two (oscillating of course), that will help. A buddy of mine had all kinds of tricks he would use to cool down his tent, including placing a nice big bucket or tray to ice in front of a fan: old school AC I suppose. He would also freeze large water bottles and plunk them into his res from time to time.  
    I'm curious how you drain (if at all) your individual DWC buckets?
    -TPM

3. I am in for the ride! I want to see how much different the 600w will make from your previous grow with 400w. :)

4. Nice op bro, I'm looking at making a rdwc, do you use a submersible pump? What size are the return and drain lines?

5. DAY 8 (DAY 8 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 885

CURRENT PH: 5.8

PH CHANGE OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS: 0

CURRENT WATER LEVEL: Full

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 22%  Cab temp: 72F

HEIGHT: All of the plants are sitting at 5 1/2 - 6 inches tall.

JOURNAL ENTRY
    So my PH remained stable but my PPMs crept up a bit. I have been trying to drop the PPMs a bit by adding some non nuted tap water, forgetting that the tap water has around 200 - 300 PPMS straight out of the tap. I drained about 3 gallons of my reservoir and replaced those 3 gallons with RO water. My reservoir now sits at a 5.8/880PPM ratio which is just where I want it to be.

The temps have been so cool I can really get the light close to the ladies. I will probably flip on to the full 600W (currently at 75%, so around 400W) in a few days once the roots have firmed up a bit. The plants are starting to flesh out a bit and grow upwards. I have started measuring their growth. Once they reach 2 1/2 feet, I usually begin the flower. In my past grows, plants have always tripled in height during flower and I don't want them too tall (see my first grow for 6 foot tall plants! Not easy to manage).
    -TPM

Attached Files:

6. Hi Kush,
     Yes, I use a submersible pump in my reservoir. The pumps sucks in water on one end, and the other end--which is connected by tubes to the tops of each bucket--pumps the reservoir water directly into each bucket at a slow trickle. Holes and return lines at the bottom allow gravity to pull the water back into the reservoir. I am not sure about the sizes: I used Yoda's detailed post and schematics when building my system: http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/600352-yodas-recirculating-bubble-buckets.html

I only deviated from his plans in one small way which you may read about in one of my responses to said post. In the future, I want to rebuilt this system using PVC or other solid type piping for a more efficient (and sturdy) system, but this works fantastically as is.
    -TPM

7. Hey PurpleMonkey  Thanks for the info on the fan.  I have used the frozen bottles in the res to keep it cool in the past and found it to be effective.  I'll have to try them in front of a fan to see how they cool the tent. To answer your question about draining the buckets, I have an extra one I keep empty and place the plants into it while I do my checks and adjustments, While they are in there I can dump or adjust as needed, then put them back into there regular bucket.  Your plants are looking good!  Those roots will be blowing up soon. 

Pahly

8. Hi Pahly,
       I used to use the same type of system: 4 individual DWC buckets, each with a bubble stone and netpot. I also used to transfer the plant filled netpot into a spare bucket when draining/filling buckets, but that became more and more difficult the larger the plants became, nearly impossible at flower. I experimented with a few alternative methods of draining the buckets without disturbing the plants, some of which worked OK, some utter failures.
    1. I bought this somewhat cheap “gas pump” style battery operated pump for getting fuel out of a car. That broke on me very quickly.\t
    2. I moved on to a drill powered pump, or a small pump you attach to a power drill. That didn't work at all.\t
    3. I used a (wet) shop vac with some cheese cloth at the end of the hose (to protect the roots). That drained the buckets lickety split but was a bit of a hassle, plus I was always worried it would suck up some root mass in the process.\t
    4. I drilled some holes into the bottom of the bucket and installed a rubber grommet and a spigot. This worked the best, but I needed to elevate the buckets so they would drain properly.
    In order to fill the buckets, only one method really worked well for me: I drilled a hole into the bottom of a designated “fill bucket” and placed a grommet and spigot into the hole. I elevated the bucket full of my nutrient water above the bucket it was supposed to be filling and just opened the spigot.
    I'll post some updated pics later this evening, but the roots are starting to explode and the plants are starting to grow ¼ - ½ an inch every 24 hours now. Lots of upwards growth and fleshing out.

-TPM

9. #29 thepurplem0nkey, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    DAY 9 (DAY 9 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 865

PH CHANGE OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS: .01 (from5.8 to 5.6)

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 22%  Cab temp: 75F

JOURNAL ENTRY
    I'm really happy with where my PH/PPM levels are at  and the drop in PPM is a good sign and exactly what I want to see. A drop in PPM but a very slight increase in PH suggests the plants are finally taking on nutes. The rapid root growth is also a good indication hehehe.

The ladies are getting taller and fatter. I have the light much better aligned this time around. The light was front leaning during my last grow so the ladies in the back were dwarfed a bit, but not this time!

I included a pic of a special “new year's treat”, something to enjoy as I ring in the new year. It's extremely waxy so instead of smoking it all at once, I've been cutting it into pieces and enjoying it over the past few hours.

Happy New Year everyone!
    -TPM

Attached Files:

10. Hey PurpleMonkey,  Happy New Year!!  Looks like you started the year off right with that plushberry treat.  Plants are looking good, liking the  herringbone roots too. 

You have me really thinking about the whole bucket situation.   I'm considering going back to recirc, I'll need to set it up a bit different to work in the tent is all.  Thanks for sharing your experience, it was helpful.

Pahly

11. DAY 10 (DAY 10 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 950

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 22%  Cab temp: 79F )I switched on the 100%/full 600W setting on my ballast a few hours ago)

JOURNAL ENTRY
    I turned on my ballast to 100% a few hours ago and the plants seem to love it. The tent raised a few degrees, but seeing as how it's around 40 degrees outside, temps aren't an issue right now.

I think my PPM meter is a little wonky but I do believe my PPMs are sitting stable at around 950. Anywhere from 850 - 950 suits me.

The tent is starting to get that nice skunky aroma! My carbon filter works very well to remove any odors and it's well over two years old. I know I need to replace it but it still works so....if it aint broke.....

-TPM

Attached Files:

12. Pahly, I was IN LOVE with DWC and still believe it is one of the best and easiest methods of hydroponics. A bucket, a bubbled stone and an air pump? How easy is that??? That said the recirculating DWC simplifies and enhances the DWC method. All you add is some holes and connecting tubing, a reservoir container, and a submersible pump. All very cheap components that add a lot more control and ease to your grow. I am checking on these plants once, maybe twice a day and making adjusments every 2 to 3 days. When I was running straight individual DWC systems I was checking/adjusting multiple times a DAY. I highly recommend RDWC, especially if you can situate your res outside the tent for 24/7 access.

I used Yoda's DIY schematics for my current system which I already posted a link to in this thread. I believe a sturdier, larger system is in my future soon enough and I plan to build my own version of this design in the near future:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeRVIyzUFQ
    -TPM

13. #33 thepurplem0nkey, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    DAY 11 (DAY 11 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 930

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 25%  Cab temp: 81F

JOURNAL ENTRY
    The ladies are loving life with the 100%/600W ballast. The PPM/PH balance is completely stagnant and stable, exactly where I want them to be! Not much else to report; It's just a matter of watching them grow upwards and outwards now. Once they reach 2/12 to 3 feet, I start my flower cycle. That could be in as little as 1 week to 2 weeks.

I need to get started on building a bubble cloner and setting up my T5 light and heat map. Been a while since I took clones but it's a simple setup. I just need to make the space.

I use a bubble cloner: I take by cuttings and suspend them above water with a bubble stone. The bubbles in the water burst and continuously spray the bottom of the cutting (which has been doused with hormone/root growth formula) and I have had great luck in the past rooting my clones in this way.
    -TPM

Attached Files:

14. DAY 12 (DAY 12 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 930

CURRENT WATER LEVEL: Good, almost full but the plants have taken in some water for sure.

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 30%  Cab temp: 77F

HEIGHT: All of the plants are sitting at 6 - 7 inches tall.

JOURNAL ENTRY
    Not much to report. I realize this is the more mundane and boring part of the grow but I keep a daily log just in case something goes wrong. This way, I have a daily record and can pinpoint when things deviate from the norm.

I'm still sitting at 100%/600W. I moved the light up one run because the plants have grown. The extra wattage adds significant heat, almost 10 whole degrees, to the cab when switched from 75% (400W) to 100% (600W). I don't grow in the summer because of heat issues but this is good to know and something to consider as my back to back grows head into the late spring months.

I did some cleaning up in my garage and stumbled upon some neem oil that I used for my last grow several months back. It was almost solid because it's been so cold out here, but it will melt back into its viscous state soon enough. I will probably add a little bit to some water and spray it onto my ladies tomorrow as a preventative measure. Yes, the cold helps keep bugs away but I have had bad luck in the past so I chose to spray early and spray often with natural, organic pesticides.

The one thing that bums me out about my grow tent is the lack of side zippers. This makes it very difficult to manage the plants in the back row later on. I am a big fan of LST which, amongst other fun methods, is impossible with this tent. I plant to replace this tent as soon as I am able, but I want to finish these back to back grows before summer hits and maybe order a new tent during my down time. I will also re-build by current system with PVC piping and get it all done at once.

But that's just my mind wandering as I rapidly approach the end of week 2 for my grow…

-TPM

Attached Files:

15. DAY 13 (DAY 13 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 920

CURRENT WATER LEVEL: Good, almost full but the plants have taken in some water for sure.

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 20%  Cab temp: 76F

HEIGHT: All of the plants are sitting at 6 - 7 inches tall.

JOURNAL ENTRY
    The plants took up some of the nutes as the PPM's measured slightly lower today. The PH is stable so the Lucas formula is at work. I will need to raise the light another rung tomorrow morning.

The only other new thing to report is that I bought a long handled scrub brush for my pump. I learned from my last RDWC that the pump gets gunked up and clogged about 4 weeks in and I had to dunk my arm into the reservoir to detach the pump and then reattach it in the full reservoir. It was messy and no fun. I'm trying to avoid the same issue by gently scrubbing the pump with the long handled scrub brush once a week.

-TPM

Attached Files:

16. DAY 14 and 15 (DAY 15 of VEG STAGE/ 18 onx6 off)

CURRENT PPM: 850

CURRENT WATER LEVEL: Getting a little low. Will need to add back some water in a day or two.

CURRENT TEMPS: RH: 20%  Cab temp: 84F

HEIGHT: All of the plants are sitting at 10 - 11 inches tall.

JOURNAL ENTRY
    Things have been going very well so far. I had a little incident yesterday while cleaning my reservoir pump with the long handled brush. It doesn't take much to disconnect the pump and I accidentally did just that. SO, I had to stick my arm into the reservoir and re-attach the pump to the tubing, something I was trying to avoid from the get go. Ces las vis, it's all good now.

I've raised the light again. The girls just keep bushing out and growing up. The weather has been a little warmer over the past few days and the 600W light generates more heat than my 400W setup did, so the cab is running a LITTLE warmer than I like. That said, cold weather is coming back starting tomorrow so that will be nice.

Other than those two annoyances, the PH is stable and the PPM's continue to slowly drop, meaning that plants are taking in both water and nutes. I'm just starting on week 3 and will most likely begin my flower stage at the end of week 3, perhaps on day 21 or 22. I like to begin flower when the plants reach 1 ½ feet to 2 feet max. The plants triple in height/size during flower and I don't want anything larger than 5 feet if I can help it. I know, I know: some of you would LOVE to grow “trees” of this nature, BUT I have limited space and it's a lot of work to deal with plants of that size with the type of cab (no side zippers) I am using now. We will see what happens: if the plants continue to grow at this rate then I will definitely start the flower stage at the end of this week or the beginning of week 4.

To flower I need to disconnect the intake to my cool tube (just removing a bunch of metallic tape), remove the MH bulb, install my HPS bulb, re-connect the intake and tape it up. It should take about 3 – 5 minutes to accomplish. I actually dislike the HPS bulb because it throws off this very yellowish spectrum and my pictures always come out strange! But the plants love it.
    Incidentally, if memory serves me right, for my first grow ever (which, coincidentally, was also BLUE DREAM. You can find the link to that journal in my signature) I only used a MH bulb for both veg/flower and I still had amazing results.

-TPM

Attached Files:

17. #37 Pahly, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
    Hi PurpleMonkey,  I was wondering how you manage add backs.  Do you top off with plain water and then adjust ppm or do you add back full strength nutes?  Also will you do a complete res change when you go to flower?  Plants are looking good, keep up the diligent work.  Going to flower in a week must be exciting.  Off to read the first blue dream journal.

Pahly

18. Hi Pahly,
       Yes, I top off with plain tap water and then adjust PPM/PH. Because I am keeping my PPMs at around 900, I really don't have much to add so I have to be careful and add back in small amounts to reach my numbers.  I will bump my PPMs up to 100 – 1100 once I begin flowering. And yes, I am cautiously excited about the flower stage. I try not to get my hopes up due to past failures that occurred much farther along the grow :)

I personally find it easier to add water and then nutes. The nutes are diluted into a glass of hot water before I dump it into the reservoir. The hot water is important for dry nutes (not a concern if you are using liquid nutes). The first time I added my dry nutes straight into the cold reservoir, I had a “pink bloodbath” on my hands. If you look at the tubing in some of my pics you will notice they are pink: yeah, that's a result from the very first time I added the dry nutes to my reservoir ;-) Since then, I learned to add the nutes into very hot water and that diluted the dry mixture.

Just in case you were wondering, I attached a picture of the one and only nutrient mix that I am using.  It takes about 7 – 8 teaspoons of this stuff to get my reservoir up to 950PPM from a “cold start”. After that, I may add a teaspoon or two every two weeks. The nutes cost me 12 bucks and should last me this grow plus 4 or 5 more (it doesn't take much).

Enjoy the first BD journal: it was my very first grow and I did a LOT of things wrong. I am amazed I was able to flower any of those ladies J
    -TPM

Attached Files:

19. Hi Pahly,
       I forgot to answer your other question. No, I do not plan on emptying the res and cleaning it out before flower. Lots of people do this but because I am using a single nutrient, there's really no need for me to clean the system out until the grow is over. THAT SAID, in my future design, I plan to install a simple shut off valve so I can easily block the line that leads back to the reservoir (from the buckets) so that I can empty the res out without depriving the ladies of water, just in case i DO need to get into the res in the middle of a grow.
    -TPM

20. PurpleMonkey,  Thanks for the detailed replies,  I found your first journal quite informative.  You have certainly come a long way since then.  I'll be going back and reading the strawberry OG Kush one next, I started before and got distracted lol.  Looking forward to your update tomorrow.

Pahly