Right so what do I do with faulty seeds if company guarantees replacement? and how long till seeds die?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014.

1. #1 james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    So lets say I get 5 seeds, and I only want to use 2, company for limited time gaurantees replacement for "crushed" seeds smart and clever/rpofessional way of  putting it as seeds that did not hatch/pop. seeds are legal in my company but growing it isn't, IRK? makes no sense but if I try 2 and later on try rest and they don't hatch my money is wasted... and I wont get replacement? so what to do? how long do seeds last anyway before they go dead and can no longer be hatched?

2. Seeds are not guaranteed to germinate, only to reach you mature and not crushed. However if you use a trusted seed bank and breeder then they should be fine.

Seeds can last for years if stored right, the seed banks can't be expected to guarantee them forever but they should be viable when you get them. If the first ones pop and the ones you store for years don't then its not the seed bank or breeders fault.

3. thats what I mean they guarantee that if the seeds don't hatch/pop they provide replacements, and he said there's 90% chance it will hatch so if I try them all and one or two don't hatch he will provide replacement but if I store them and only use 1-2 and use the others in few years time or months and dont hatch I wont get replacement, do you catch my drift?

4. So just start as many as you need and see if it works out for you, if you start some and they are fine then you will just have to trust the rest.

These must be some real expensive seeds!
    I've never had seeds not germinate but if I did and it was just one or two then I wouldn't bother with the hassle of trying to get them replaced.

Like I said if you have gone with a good seed bank and breeder then you should be fine.

5. #5 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 22, 2014
    Don't talk to the seed banks about germination, all the major trusted ones I've used and looked into sell them as novelty items and won't be able to discuss it. The guarantees are for shipping and for damage caused while shipping. Maybe if you live where its legal that's different, I don't know.

6. On a side note seeds don't hatch, they germinate.

7. I didn't he said to me germinating is illegal they wont refund for that but he hinted to me that if they don't just tell us that they were crushed and take a photo we will then understand what you mean.

yeah it's total of 5 seeds, so to me even if 1 didn't work I would still be pissed off, btw does cloning reduce quality of plant?

8. I feel sorry for the seed providers having to deal with the high expectations of fussy buyers who if they dont get at least a 50/50 male to female ratio or over 75% germ rate they have been ripped off...there are just too many variables for them to be perfect..and thats not even considering the fuckups from the buyers who believe they know everything about germinating....

Seeds are nature, you can't expect every single one to germinate even though most probably will.
    Cloning will not reduce quality.

Me too

10. #10 james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014
    I know but this is my first time, I'm not trying to sound ignorant or selfish etc.. I just want to get worth my money for product, I was actually shocked seeing the prices for small seed (I know its a rare thing and due to legal issues it's expensive) but I didn't expect them to be so expensive especially from my area so if I'm paying a lot for 5 small items I do expect at least 4 out of 5 to work, I don't work it's a lot of investment to me but it means a lot.
    even if I got a male plant I wouldn't give a fuck I'll just smoke the leaves better than nothing right?

11. #11 guest/banned, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Seeds are cheap considering how much bud they can give you. 

Smoking male MJ plants does nothing.

12. WHAT, I did some research on the forums I typed in "can you smoke a male plant" and they had responses saying yes but the smoke would be abit harsh etc.. but still get some buzz, I'm a nub.

13. I would say you're screwed if you save them for any amount of time. I mean how could you prove a year from now that its even the same seed, you'll have to take it out of the packaging to try and germ it. Our "hobby", for lack of a better term, kind of falls in a grey area, there's going to be things you're just going to have to bite the bullet on. Try smashing them if you think that's what the customer service rep was hinting about. I order a few times a year, I've only had it happen with 1 seed, but if that ever happens again, I'll just accept it, even if its more seeds and move on. Its not worth my time IMHO. I'm saving so much $ growing my own I'll happily toss an unviable seed. If its too many seeds I just won't order them again. Natures not perfect, seeds are part of nature. But that's just my view. Good luck with what ever you decide.

14. #14 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 22, 2014
    Don't smoke a male plant, some make extracts out of them. Think about how many hundreds if not thousands of dollars that so called expensive seed saves you in buying weed from a dispensary or off the street.....not so expensive anymore is it. You don't want the issues of males, get feminized seeds. They might cost more but when you figure they come up females instead of roughly 50/50 male/female, you save $ in the long run by having more females

15. #15 james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014
    Thank you, someone finally that doesn't judge and understands me, I'm not trying to be a smart ass about it, I don't know the percentage of seeds that hatch etc.. so I'm trying to find out and get more for my buck, and yeah partially yeah, customers can scam like once open you never even know if it was from same package the company just has to trust its customers, but hopefully they don't abuse this trust same goes for ebay and all other online products because sellers genuinely provide replacements and I feel sorry for them.

16. You want more for your buck get feminized seeds from a reputable breeder and do your homework 1st. It may cost a few more $ per seed but when you figure you don't have to throw half away because they will be males and the 6-8 weeks of growing just to find out they are males is a huge waste of $ IMHO And no man I won't judge you, some people forget we weren't all born knowing this stuff

17. Really sorry if I came across as an asshole...didnt mean anything by it...just saying that germing seeds is always an iffy thing...and I haave NEVER liked paying so much for seeds from these companies...so, I now don't..unless someone comes across with a long awaited landrace I am interested in..all these hybrids outside of blueberry, skunk 1, nl5 x haze and maybe one or two others is just more genetic mashups not worthy of their own names ....do yourself a favor and buy some skunk 1 seeds and maybe a heavy Indica like Northern Lights or Hindu Kush, mix em and make yer own seeds...you will NEVER neeed to pay that much for seeds again afterr you harvest your 2000 or so from your first grow...and the bud will be just a dank, just as fire and any weird sounding puurrple kush blah blah blah that are pushed on you by these seed companies

18. @^^^^^^ hell ya now that's what I'm talking about. Personally i like the the old school flavors myself too, but that's just my choice and may be influenced by my advanced age....lol...... I always tell my younger smoking friends that I like weed to taste and smell like weed, not fruit salad and sweet tarts, but too each their own on that matter. We're here to help in Any way we can.....I'm out have fun above all man

19. #19 james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014
    No problem, thanks man for clearing things up.
    I was thinking big bang 2 or bluegummer?, any of those 2 any good?

20. I like ANY blueberry cross.....it seems no matter what someone crosses with blueberry it turns out dank...sorta like Chemdawg IF you find the right one