Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Apartment party

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by rinii, Dec 22, 2014.

1. description of my apartment:
    I live in a studio apartment about 800 sq ft with a kitchen set in the backof the apartment past the living room/bedroom area on the first floor of a house (technically the basement because the side of the house is raised to about 15 steps up for an entrance/patio to the middle level house). My couch faces the windows its approx in the middle of both windows about 15 feet away on the other side of the room. It's about a 5/6 family house. There's a laundry room next to me (locked and sealed door-everything newly renovated) and the other side is two small windows at the top of the wall because that side has the raised area. There's 3 doors to get to my apartment (main door which is ground level behind the 4 car driveway and next to 2 garages, then another door to lead into a small hall with storage closets on the side and then another door to my actual studio so I'm not too concerned about sound.

My neighbors upstairs also stay up all night a lot I hear their dog and them constantly walking around etc. I have 2 tenants above me. One lady who lives with her kids and husband upstairs complained in the summer at my housewarming party about my friends smoking and drinking in the driveway area after 11pm which is quiet hours. they told me to tell them to go down the block next time and keep my party contained to my apartment because I wasn't being loud even though I had 30+ people coming in and out with decently loud music and everyone was shit faced drunk. I didn't let people smoke at all because I hadn't even finished moving in yet and wasn't sure what would happen. 

I've smoked weed pretty much every day since August 2014 with zero complaints but this is the first time I'll be having a party for a friend's birthday and inviting 15-20 people and letting us all smoke. Pretty much everyone smokes. I'm trying not to be a party pooper but I'm scared they'll smoke too much at once and it'll go upstairs through the ceiling (i've heard that can happen?) or from the closets into their areas and maybe wake up the dogs or something. It's a sunday to monday so I don't want to anger them if they have work/school for the kids the next day.

I have a ton of incense (only one stick incense holder), 2 plug in oil warmers, a fan with an ionizer I've faced towards the window a few weeks ago when 5 friends came over to pregame (worked pretty well but there was still a smell), a heater, a freestanding AC with a fan/dehumidifier (it's disconnected from the vent tubes in the window because it was leaking too much cold air) and I have 2 other fans I could use. I also usually put a rolled up sheet against the front door.

It'll be cold (jan 11th is the party) and I'm thinking of making it so every other hour people can smoke weed etc with the windows wide open with fans facing outwards, and then close them for an hour to try and keep the place warm because i've left one window open by my bed a lot and I had to close it after smoking because I was too freezing everytime I lifted my head out of the comforter in bed when I tried to sleep with it open to air out the area. 

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Also to note my entire apartment is only on one circut. I can't have a heater running with the microwave or toaster oven running. Other than that I've used many fans and a heater and it's been fine. I also now have a tv and xbox and chromecast though since then. [/SIZE]

I've also thought about putting bowls or cups of vinegar all over by the couch and windows to absorb the smoke while we're smoking. 

Any other ideas to help with the smell would be awesome!!! I just want to be prepared for this and have it go smoothly with everyone fucked up and enjoying the night.

2. 15-20 people is too many to let smoke in your apartment. Find a place for people to smoke outside if they wish.

You can have small groups of people outside smoking and have the actual party inside.

You can also get everyone to pitch in and make some edibles before. Cooking them will stink up your apartment less than people smoking and the day of the party you wont have anything to worry about.

3. Indeed, that's probably too many people to have smoking in an apartment. Unless you don't mind being "that guy who smokes weed all the time" to the other tenants.

4. You know, with all those precautions of having them blow it outside, the incense, and the fans, you just might be okay!

5. if ya gotta take all these precautions, ya may as well have it elsewhere or downsize the guest list a bit

or don't party in your tiny apartment

6. #6 Jesse Botwin, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    Grab a few bottles of Ozium or Berry-scented Febreeze. The stronger the better. Spray half a can OUTSIDE of your apartment before and after smoking each time. Make sure to put a moist towel underneath the door, and that your guests don't knock it out of the way. Also detube (or save up a bunch) of paper towels or toilet paper rolls and stock up on sploof. You can cut the paper towels into two or three and tape a few sheets of laundry detergant sheets over one end. Hand them out to everyone that plans on smoking.

Make sure to set ground rules! Tell your partiers that they can only smoke when the windows are open and to use their sploofs. Using bowls instead of joints will signifigantly cut down on smell. If you have enough money stocked up, buy a bunch of cheap-ass one hitters. Tell your guests ahead of time that it is a BYOG party. (Bring-Your-Own-Glass) Make sure nobody smokes joints. Since the smell will definetely be there, you might as well have a couple people smoking cigarettes and tobacco aswell, it will easily mask the marijuana smell.

Ditch the vinegar idea. If you really wanted to, you should put it in tuberware bowls with lids and poke holes in the lid. Chances are your guests will spill them and your place will perminetly smell like a fish fry. It may sound good at first, but its very pungent and awful after a while.

Do not close the windows all the way either! Even if you leave them only a sliver, that still allows the smoke to escape. Shutting the windows would trap the odor inside of your apartment. The people will keep the place warm, believe me on that one.

Additionally, you can place ash trays around your apartment for people to cash their bowls into. Make it a rule not to ash on the floor. Ashes leave their own distinct smell that your landlord may not like very much.

Lastly. Don't forget your camera! Sounds like a really fucking awesome event! Remember,
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I disagree that people are saying it's too many guests. Fuck it. The more the merrier. If everyone uses their sploofs and follows some ground rules, it'll likely not be noticed. Just make sure you don't have "that guy" that stands right next to the window from everyone on the outside to see. Lighter's flames are extremely noticable, especially when its dark outside and in. I would keep a fire estigusher or two on hand as a precaution. Everytime I had a smokeout, I did. I even had to use on two seperate occaisions. Both were people dropping their hemp wicks. Those things are more dangerous than matches, IMO.

7. I would make the laundry room the smoke room since you said it seals shut plus theres no ventilation, unless im incorrect, for the smoke to travel to your neighbors. Yes the laundry room will reek but just keep an incense rolling constantly. Plus you can get the hotbox effect of smoking in close quarters.

Personally if I were hosting this shindig I'd get madddd paranoid and wouldn't enjoy myself/the party seeing as you are the property holder because 20 people smoking herb will smell. I get sketched out (not extremely but it isn't pleasant) when I smoke with some friends in my dorm apartment and that's only like 5 people but anywho party hard and good luck! :metal:

8. No. Bad idea. Just no.

9. #9 whiteboyy09, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
    Haha good luck getting everybody to respect your rules dude not going to happen. House parties at your own house are never a good idea. Just not worth the risk of getting caught, shit stolen or broken

10. Been there done that in a 4-unit condo. If your neighbors aren't understanding then they will get pissed. No way to keep 25-30 people quiet, might seem not too loud to you in the midst of it but 30' away in a quiet apartment it sounds just like any other party.

I would at least invite your neighbors, if for no other reason than to warn them ahead of time and judge their reactions.

11. That's an excellent idea! My neighbors used to be understanding, so I would just call them and warn them.

Until they show with a cheesecake. O.O