What causes thermal/camera to detect growers?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by james.wolverine97, Dec 22, 2014.

1. I mean I don't understand how it works? is it the heat? is it the light?, I know its can be combination of both, but my heater is just below my window if police were to scan how the hell would they know I'm sure tons of people have the same thing. I've seen plenty of people who have heaters under their window so how come cops don't mistake them for growing? if I'm wrong and you correct me is there anyway to avoid being detected by cameras?

2. Heat being exhausted out of a residence in a random or unusual place.

3. can you not just use the heat as a heat source to heat up your home instead? or get lights that don't get hot and are more of a lighting than a heat source if that makes sense.

4. #4 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
    Heat ....Watch Cops bro or google it. They can make out the difference of a light compared, to a furnace, to exhaust, compared to humans or just about anything that gives a heat signature. Do they thermo cam where you live? There's no worries here. What size of lights are you using?

5. I don't even know yet I haven't began the process yet I'm at like stage -100 don't even have the grow equipment nor seeds I'm still trying to evaluate whether I can afford it and whether it would be worth it + whether I can get caught or not, the person that lived in my property before me was growing it but he was mass producing as he was a supplier this is just for personal entertainment not even friends and he got caught because he had a leakage from his property going down to neighbor and when the neighbor spoke to him he refused to fix the leakage (which was from him watering the plants) so cops came to investigate and warned him few times to fix it he didn't so they broke in and saw it and threw him out, my opinion all he had to do was let them in he was growing it in storage spot he could of killed the plants or whatever. 

6. #6 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 22, 2014
    If your worried about getting caught the #1 reason is telling people, even your friends. That's a way bigger worry then a thermo cam. Sounds like your friend wasn't smart about his grow I would definitely keep quite around him. Nobody knows what I do, other then the cyber world. I live within a block of 2 cops. Don't change you're routine, don't be foolish, watch light leaks and and combat smell, not with some home made get up. Take it serious because if you get caught you can guarantee the law will take it serious. I always laugh when someone is willing to risk freedom over an arts and crafts project. I don't have that luxury. You could come sit 1 foot from my grow and not know. I've drank a beer with the cops that live nearby, in my yard. As close knit as my neighborhood is it would be stupid to be anti-social. I'm defiantly not advising bringing the po-po's for a brew, but what are you going to do, my kids play with their kids, its a small active friendly town. Just be normal because you have no reason not too be

7. He wasn't my friend, I don't know him, my neighbors just told me about him as he lived in my property before and why he got evicted by the police. 
    I'm just scared, what about the feeling of "oh I have something to hide" and constantly being worried and scared? I mean if you're not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry like they say but if you are then you always have fear, even though it's just growing a plant same as any other plant.

8. I live in a bad city wit helo fly in round all day ur good before they spend 2000$ on pics they would do a knock n sniff just keep it too urself and if u talk never let em know where u do it or lie and make a great story even the ppl I trust believe I rent space from another guy 25 mins away so they can never see it
    Better yet grow,smoke and stfu

9. #9 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 22, 2014
    that's a personal choice you need to make before wasting your time. Its not for everyone, and I don't believe people should push it on someone saying everything going to be just fine. Play it smart and chances are you will be fine, but theres never a guarantee. I was nervous at 1st anyone in their right mind would be. It gets easier, but you also don't want to get to relaxed and miss something, light leaks, plant matter disposal, bunch of soil sacks sitting on the curb on trash day but you don't have a plant in sight. Its just second nature now. Go to the store, mow the lawn, work ,fish, hunt, I'm just a normal Joe with a private hobby. I give my friends free smoke but I don't get stupid either, I don't want them wondering why. Not very many people have a shit load of free weed around. It can be lonely sometimes, I would love to bring my life long best friend in and show my grow off. He struggles with $$$ and I would love to just like here bro help yourself, but I don't. That's why I finally decided to get on forums.....good luck with what ever you decide. If you get set on growing there's a ton of help here with both security issues and growing

1 more piece of advice, we're not children don't go around lying as stated above. You will slip up and get your stories crossed. Nobody lies for years without getting caught. It puts you in danger. Just go about life and keep your mouth closed, its nobody's business but yours

11. #11 m0ngoos, Dec 22, 2014
    Yep it is something everyone has to consider. You just have to have a honest evaluation of your own situation. Everyone has pro's and con's that tilt the scales more toward security/safety and more toward insecurity. You walk a line between viligant and paranoid, but like Chief said it becomes routine. You actually do start thinking like a cop.

Smoke one and have a research night. Look up your state/local laws, make a pro's con's list, THEN if you get through that and are comfortable you start thinking about growing.

For some people it is just easier to be buyers, no shame in that.

12. Good lord....

OK....know ANYTHING about lights?
    Have we come CLOSE to creating heatless light? No.
    Do light emitters emit the heat directly? YES.
    Can you gauge, with FLIR or direct thermal, how hot the heat source is, and how far away? Yes, by the dispersal patterns and direction of flow shown in the 'scope.

Plus most of those scopes ALSO specifically pick up light connected with heat...AND a bare eye can pick out a cigarette cherry at a half mile, if there's limited light pollution around it...a scope's a hell of a lot better.

13. Didnt they find it unconstitutional the view someone's house with thermals without a search warrant as its an invasion of privacy? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If they have a warrent for your property they are most likely gonna raid it. Also it would take a lot of evidence to get that warrent so just dont slip up and you should be fine. The main way people ever get raided is from an INFORMANT from what I've read. So basically keep it to your self and show NOONE.

14. #14 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 22, 2014
    If they routinely thermal in your area does it really matter if they need a search warrant or not? No.....they could be searching for a runaway convict for all you know and oppps lookie here.... why is this heat source coming out of this guys closet and being exhausted into his attic. I'm not trying to scare you away buy no means. I'm just trying to let you see the possibilities I've thought about over the years. Chances are as long as you play it smart, cover your ass with smells, light leaks and waste like plant matter and soil bags along with keeping your mouth closed and acting normal no one will ever know. But there is no 100% fool proof way. Some people just don't care, while others are like you and me and are concerned in these matters. I have a good job, nice house, 2 kids and I live within a couple hundred yards of 2 cops and live inside a school zone, which increases the penalties. I don't want to loose what I have. So I weighed my options and did my research. Made my decision to grow based on my personal feeling on the matter. Above all I didn't skimp on security issues and I'm not putting my life into the faith of home made carbon filters. You want to be as safe as possible its going to take planning, money and prep. I like very stinky strains even though it would be advisable for me to grow lower scent strains. My exhaust fans have exhaust fans, blankets hang over my grow rooms door creating a light lock so light doesn't leak out when I enter, plant matter is disposed of away from my property, away from me, so on and so forth

15. I duct the hoods and the carbon filter loops to the bottom of my basement stairs.  Without any heat on, it will keep the two above ground floors at 71 degrees when it is freezing outside.  I don't waste that heat, hellz no!  When ducting, dry to tap into a dryer vent if you are venting outside.  It is obviously a normal location for heat to be coming out of.  Be careful in the winter tho, it can really glacier up if it is really cold outside (another tell tale sign of a grow).

Ozone generators and carbon filter work, use them!  ;)

16. Only if you do not pay that big electric bill will anyone care or your smell makes the neighbors hire a skunk hunter. Be friendly with them, they will ask you, "Does it smell like someone is growing weed?" LOL!

17. Personal entertainment?  I think you are over complicatying this.  Are you talking like 2 plants, the power company probably woldnt even notice, let alone cops.  If that is what you are implying, build something like a cabinet or rubbermaid bin setup, something that looks stealth, will take care of the smell, and use CFLs so there is no heat issue, then there is no reason anyone would ever know. 

As mentioned a grow house will have heat signatures in odd places, or even showing heat is on in the day, or summertime.  A couple plants in a house will most likelty not be detected by anyone if you plan ahead, which you appear to be doing.  Good luck