400w MH/HPS 3x3 scrog...Dairy Queen

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by chiefton8, Dec 22, 2014.

1. #1 chiefton8, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    Last year's grow was a little weak, so hoping for something better this year.

Grow setup:

400w MH/HPS (Digilux bulbs)
    3x3 DR90 tent
    Super Sun 2 air cooled hood
    6in inline fans for intake and outtake
    Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil (with additional perlite)
    RO water (love my new RO system!)
    Will SCROG (no topping though...not convinced it is necessary)
    18/6 for veg (tried 24/0 in the past...thought plants did worse actually in 24/0...but just my opinion)

Strains:
    Mr Nice Super Silver Haze (reg)
    TGA Subcool Dairy Queen (reg)

I'm a little nervous about the SSH...read lots on the interwebs and it seems like these things can grow kind of crazy if you get a haze dominant pheno. I have limited height but hopefully some scrog will keep it tamed.

I'm also a litlte nervous that the SSH could stretch like crazy while the DQ doesn't...making for an uneven SCROG canopy.

Right now I've got 5x SSH and 3x DQ at 1 week since sprout.

The goal is to take one solid female SSH and one solid female DQ to flowering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really liking my little DIY platform. Intake air blows underneath so that fresh air comes to the plants from bottom up. A small washer drain pan held at an angle down toward the tent opening will ensure drainage is easily sponged up.

2. 2 weeks veg

There were as of yesterday 3 x Dairy Queen and 5 x Super Silver Haze in starter pots.

Yesterday was decision day...they needed to be transplanted to bigger pots...but there is only room for 5 of the 8 to be transplanted to 5gal smart pots so had to pick the 2 best DQ's and 3 bets SSH's.

Hope we made the right choices! 

The bottom left, middle and upper right are Mr. Nice SSH. Upper left and bottom right are Subcool DQ. There are two plants still left in starter pots that I just couldn't kill quite yet. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Looking good man. I'll stick around.

4. Definitely gonna keep an eye on this. Subbed.

5. Subbed 😆

Thanks. Hope it'll be a good grow.

One step at a time though....gotta have some females in there first.  :)

7. Subd for this.. Good luck blade

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. what size are those smart pots and how tall are they if you don't mind sharing?

9. I would also like to know why you chose smart pots over conventional ones? Not hating by any means. I hope to try those out myself sometime. Just wondering your opinion on them.

10. #11 chiefton8, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014

They are 5 gallon smart pots. They are a little taller right now than in the last set of pictures...I'm guessing about 6 inches tall at this point but on the 5th node. Growth has been nice and tight so far. :)

Smart pots came highly recommended by a few folks here on GC, and by the guy at the local hydro shop. I tried them for the first time last year and was impressed.

The idea is that in normal plastic containers, roots will reach the edge and then continue to grow in circles around and around the container, with very little branching.

With a fabric container, once the roots hit the side they get "air pruned", that is they grow into the fabric and stop, and then develop countless fibrous branching roots. Essentially, you should get a denser, much more robust and uniform root system. From my one time using them on my last grow, I agree this is true...the root system is much healthier in smart pots than in plastic containers.

This is a picture from the description of smart pots on Amazon:

[​IMG]
    The only downside to smart pots is that you can't really transplant them because the roots grow into the fabric, and removing the plant would tear off a lot of roots causing root damage. So I start in smaller plastic containers, then move them into their final smart pot home where they will stay until they are finished.

They are reasonably priced, and are reusable. I recommend giving them a try if you haven't already.

Hope that helps.

11. chief!

happy new year old friend!
    best of luck w/ the new run!

i thought the last one was mighty nice man.. don't be so down on yourself...
    pleasure seeing you around again :)

recently switch from smartpot brand to root pouch.. same difference, just much cheaper.

http://www.amleo.com/root-pouch-degradable-pots/p/VP-RPXXXX/

cheers man..

AW!

Always a pleasure to have you around.

Good to hear from you, and happy new year to you as well!

Thanks for the link to root pouch. Indeed they are a hell of a lot cheaper. Will consider that next run for sure. :)

You're right, last year's wasn't too terrible. You know how it is though...always looking for ways to improve.  

Plus the in-law's demands for my special muffins have increased quite a bit...so got to keep them happy after all they've done for us. Funny thing is they actually live in a legal state, but prefer to have me ship home-made muffins to their door.    :smoke:

Take it easy.

13. I'll have to give them a try next run. Have heard a lot of good things but also hear a couple complaints. But I don't like to bash on anything unless I've seen it or tried it myself. By the way those pics look it seems to be just fine! haha

yeah man..
    was just telling someone in my thread that i don't know a single grower who is or ever will be 100% satisfied w/ their grow.
    always looking for ways to improve yields, or trichome coverage, canopy levels etc..
    that's what makes it such a great hobby.

and yeah those pouches work just fine. I grew potatoes in them outdoors last year, and they're strong enough to use again.. and they're like 1/3 of the price i think.

stoked to see another grow of yours man.. all subbed up and ready! :p

15. 3 weeks veg

So far things are going good.  Two of the SSH's look (upper left, middle) like they've got a little nute burn from the FFOF, so I gave them a little flush with a few gallons of RO water. Hopefully that should take the edge off. The third SSH (upper right) is growing like a beast. Both DQ's are looking nice and healthy.

Just hooked up the carbon filter too. Getting a little smelly.

Upper left, middle and upper right = SSH

Bottom left and bottom right  = DQ

(small one in the tiny pot on the left is DQ...just can't bring myself to kill it quite yet :p)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. :smoke:

First confirmed female...one of the two Dairy Queens (bottom right in the above post).

[​IMG]

17. 4 weeks of veg

Removed one of the SSH's...was growing kind of slow and it wasn't as healthy as the others, so I decided to make more room in the tent for the more healthy plants.

So I'm down to 2xDQ and 2xSSH.

Good news is both DQ's are female!

Still unsure on the two remaining SSH's though.

Upper left and lower right = SSH (sex unknown)

Lower left and upper right = DQ (both female)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lady bits of the lower left DQ:

[​IMG]

If I can confirm either of the SSH's are female, it'll be time to drop the screen and finish up the veg.

Yeah no joke man...I'm hoping for only one of the SSH's to be a girl. I figure I can do a short scrog with three plants in there if that's the case. 

If I can't identify a SSH female in within the next week or so, I might save the SSH for another grow (have 10 more seeds) and just go with the two DQ's. Would be sad to do that bc the ssh is what i was really after with this grow but gotta go with what what's growing best.