400w MH/HPS 3x3 scrog...Dairy Queen

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by chiefton8, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Looking good so far, They look happy. Looking forward to seeing this unfold further.

2. #22 chiefton8, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    4.5 weeks veg

Sad day yesterday...both of my healthy SSH's are male.

It's particularly sad because one of them was one of the nicest cannabis plants I've ever grown. Would have been nice for breeding. I've got 10 more seeds of Mr Nice SSH...they'll have to wait until a future grow. 

So from now till harvest, it's two Dairy Queens. Can't complain.

Now that I've got my final two healthy females, I dropped the screen on them. No topping this time around. I'm figuring 2-3 weeks to fill the screen hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 5 wks veg

They are responding well to the training I think. Seems like as soon as I pulled down the main stem all the other branches are just shooting up like crazy.

Ideally two more weeks to fill up and grow into the screen. Maybe three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 6 weeks veg (18/6)

One more week of veg and then I think I'm done. Screen may not be totally full by then but that's ok. I'd rather play it safe and leave a little room for the stretch during flower. 

I'm ready to move on to the next step at this point....   :unsure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. #26 chiefton8, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    Switched to 12/12 two days ago. Here is the screen at the end of veg:

[​IMG]

Here is the screen after just two days of 12/12. Lots of growth already.

I think I may have been overdoing the nutes just a bit. So just water today. Been feeding them 1.5g each every other day...they are dam sponges. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1 week of 12/12

They are really stretching!  Glad I did the screen though...there should be enough room vertical-wise for whatever stretch they have left in them...hopefully.  :smoke:  

Been doing a little trimming underneath. Never really know how much to do but I figure getting rid of a few useless leaves and branches under the screen should be helpful. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Grow looks great, will keep following. Whats your thought on trimming? (or is this your first time trimming?) Noticed you did a little. I went way overboard and cut almost all my leafs off my current scrog. (signature) But still in Veg, 6 days later i couldnt see through the canopy again, and growth exploded everywhere. 

8. #29 chiefton8, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    Yeah I've heard both ends of the spectrum on trimming. I lean more on the "only trim where necessary" side of the argument. So far I've trimmed a bit under the canopy, mostly to maintain fresh air flow. Plus I think if a plant is going to throw out a couple nanners at the end of flowering, they'll do it on the tiny popcorn bud stems, so I'm cutting those off now. If there are any large fan leaves blocking nice bud sides up above, I'll cut those if I can't tuck them underneath. That's my philosophy. Must say your scrog looks quite good after you trimmed your plant all up. Keep up the good work.

9. 12 days of 12/12

Just starting to show some early buds.   :)

I'd say the tent is officially full at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 3 weeks of 12/12

I was on vacation all week, but had a very trusted friend keep an eye on the project for me, and feed them girls as needed.  Worked out pretty well.

Damn this tent is full!! But at least the stretch should be over. DQ no doubt has been one of the stretchiest plants I've ever grown. Crazy.

Now it's time for the buds to fill in.  Already seeing a little frost on the leaves.   :smoke:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 4 weeks of 12/12

So far so good I think. There are a few burn/deficiency spots on some leaves directly under the light...I suspect I may have been overdoing the nutes just a bit so backing off for a few days to see how she does (runoff ppm ~ 1100-1300 from 0ppm RO).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. holy shit chief.. :eek:

she really filled in good!

and a huge stretch on that one man.. damn.

that's a lot of buds for 2 plants dude..

my thoughts on trimming..
    I'm currently vegging a scrog myself, and it was growing really vigorously. There was a point where I'd have to tuck tops down to the next hole twice a day.
    Then it came time to remove all that mess of bottom growth that won't ever make the top of the screen. (which is a must imo) and it literally stopped growing. There was a 3 day period where i didn't have to tuck down a single top. Since then it came right back, and is fine..
    but it was obvious to me that trimming does slow things down a little. Maybe i did too much too fast.. but i still think it's a necessary evil at least for the bottom portion.

as far as the top.. i usually don't pull any leaves until the tucking and flowering stretch is all over. Then i'll pull a few to create some pockets of light.

the issue with pulling leaves during veg, is that a light blocking leaf isn't going to be in that same spot for too long anyway so it's best to leave them be until it's all settled.

that's just my long rambling 2 cents on the subject :bongin:

Hey AW! Always great to hear from you. And your advice is as always most appreciated.   :)

Indeed she did fill in like crazy, more than I was expecting. And I've never seen a plant stretch quite this much. I have the light as high as it can go at this point. The stretch is done I think so it should be OK but man that was close.  :eek:

Agreed on the issue of trimming. I (or my wife really...she's the trimming expert  :p ) has trimmed everything under the screen...little bits at a time...plus a few of the tiny branches that would turn into microbuds (I feel like those are the ones that end up hermie'ing toward the end). Haven't trimmed much above the screen tho...maybe I should...just tucked some leaves under and pulled up a few branches that were leaning over other buds. 

Under the screen:

[​IMG]

Hope all is well with you.  :bongin:

14. Here there are yesterday at 5 weeks of 12/12

They are incredibly smelly. My carbon filter is barely keeping up, and I'm sure the smell will only get worse (or better  :smoking: )

I don't think this strain will be the biggest yielder of all time...but I would like to think I'm maximizing it's potential. 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Looking good 😆

16. 6 weeks of 12/12

The smell is super intense right now. When you open the tent, an explosion of smell blasts you right in the face. Really impressive. Carbon scrubber is working hard.

Both plants are looking good, but the one on the right is becoming the clear favorite. Larger buds, frostier...overall just better. Cant complain about either though.  

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 7 weeks of flowering. They are filling in a bit right now but otherwise looking steady.  Advertised flowering time for DQ is 7-8 weeks. I checked trichs a couple days ago and they are ~50% cloudy, so maybe another week or so.

My oscillating fan broke last night!  Had to rig up another fan to keep air circulation appropriate today. 

Like I've said before, I dont' think DQ will break any yield records but I would like to think I've maximized her potential. My goal is 8oz. We will see. More important will be whether she is a quality over quantity lady.  [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. they look amazing! have you started flushing yet? Im currently in day 20 of my grow. It will be my first time training the plant. Seeing your grow im not sure if i should top, lst, or scrog, or a combo of all three. Seems like your scrog is just fine without topping or lst.