Hash oil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Greenstarter55, Dec 21, 2014.

1. I've heard of people making oil with alcohol. Has anybody here tried this and if so what kind of results did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. It comes out awesome and easy to do the first day I tried it was the last day I ever smoked bud;)

3. #3 Deleted member 830888, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Well I'll tell you right off the bat.  I don't have firsthand experience with a damned thing regarding ethanol extracts but I can tell you that I've never seen one higher than 60% THC.

In fact, I saw some ethanol extract, described as RSO (Rick Simpson Oil.  Supposed to be made with naptha I think but ethanol may still qualify as Simpson oil), which was only *****33%***** THC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly dude I think the best idea is to make butane hash oil, which I've never seen LOWER than 60%, and as high as over 90%, and decarboxylate it.

I'm no scientist so I can't tell you exactly what that process involves but in layman's terms you must convert THC-A, a useless acid and the natural state of THC in the plant, to THC proper, which our bodies can utilize, through heating the oil for as little as a split second (truly) at probably about 300 degrees F.

Please understand that ALL extracts and tinctures are 100% USELESS until they are decarboxylated.  The fact is most of the time we smoke cannabis and cannabis concentrates and the burning of the material automatically decarboxylates it into THC proper so normally there's simply no need to concern yourself with this process.

If you are dealing in extracts, tinctures and edibles you MUST ensure that the material is heated to a certain temperature before consumption or else it's ALL a waste.

Keep in mind that making BHO *and* RSO is potentially very dangerous.  Not dangerous as in shake something the wrong way and BOOM but if you wear clothing that generates too much static electricity, a cell phone (oh yes, a cell phone technically can generate a spark somehow) or even if a neighbor is grilling next door you could find yourself in a whole world of hurt and legal troubles.

Hell, I wouldn't even carry a lighter in my pocket while blasting buds/trim.

Remember:  If this is all too much trouble (and it IS a lot of trouble to learn how to do it all properly!  I may have never done it but I've learned enough to give making shatter a shot off of memory alone.) you can always just take the safest *and* easiest route and just make bubble hash.  Go to Ebay and you can find a great set of bubble bags for only $30.
    Bubble hash tends to clock in at about 40-50-some % THC so if it's for cancer you may want to take the chance of making decarboxylated BHO and following the Rick Simpson regimen of what is it, a gram a day ultimately after building up to it?

Please keep in mind that I am not experienced in these matters but I have made some observations and done some homework on BHO so I think I know enough to at least add my 2 cents with a little disclaimer that my word not necessarily absolute.

4. #4 Deleted member 830888, Dec 21, 2014

Yes, concentrates are wonderful.  I will always smoke flower but if I can start processing hash myself I think I will lean a bit more towards the concentrate side of things.  :)

Edit:  By the way Greenstarter:  You require 90% pure ethanol to make oil.  I recommend Everclear.  Using regular old 80 proof (40%) liquor will do nothing for you.

Here are some useful links:

You DEFINITELY need to watch the Rick Simpson movie.  I think there's even a part 2 out now!
    http://phoenixtears.ca/

Here's the best tutorial on making BHO (shatter) that I have ever seen.  I do believe that this is rock solid data and how could anyone deny it when he succeeds in making good oil?  He makes a mistake on the purge temps too (goes over 120 degrees F for a little bit but makes it anyway) but it's still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pYLXbPQdFM
    Seriously man.  That last video is golden.

5. I have no idea what decarboxalateing is or however u spell it and I would love to try bho but sometimes I can only afford to make an 8th into it n you need quite a bit more for bho right? Also I think the setup is expensive but yeah I'm dying to try it maybe when my plants r done

6. #6 Deleted member 830888, Dec 21, 2014

Honestly I cannot remember how the yield compares to ethanol or if I've even encountered any data on ethanol yields but I can tell you that you should expect no more than about a 20% return off of oil if I remember correctly.

Expect less than that for sure.

I forgot about this amazing resource for oil making.  All you need is this and Northwest Greenthumb's video and you're probably good to go.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-extraction/

7. I get 20 percent easy and sometimes I come across hash and get about 60 percent yield

8. #8 Deleted member 830888, Dec 21, 2014
    !!!!!! 

Congrats man.  That's something for BHO makers to be jealous of!

Wish me luck with the bubble bags!  I hear bubble is the worst yield of them all.... :(

I would make BHO but if I get caught my mom loses her house (the US has SUCH FUCKED UP asset forfeiture laws!!!  I don't know if you're European but did you know that if a cop pulls you over in the US and notices you have a lot of cash on you he can literally confiscate that money claiming suspicion of drug dealing proceeds, give it to the police department and NEVER HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO PROVE IT WAS DRUG MONEY?????), so that's a no-go!!!!!!!

9. #9 Deleted member 830888, Dec 21, 2014

Oh, I forgot to address something you said.  The recommended minimum weight of material to blast for BHO I have read was a quarter ounce.  Also, it is said that buds will give a better yield than trim, but I don't know if that's true.  Makes sense, though.

Please keep in mind that despite all this stuff I've been talking about I, too, am a newbie.  I just have picked up a thing or two along the way and thought I would share.  :)

Edit: To any moderators: I added a second comment instead of editing this in because I wanted to make sure whitelump didn't miss it.

10. Thanks for the link to that video. I've just heard horror stories about bho for instance people burning themselves, starting fires, and the shatter tasting like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. #11 Deleted member 830888, Dec 21, 2014

Well, it's not like making meth where if you shake something the wrong way or whatever your house blows up.  It pretty much takes someone doing something really stupid to hurt yourself making BHO with the exception of the scenario I told you about where butane travels through your fence and into your neighbor's barbecue grill he's grilling on.

It's quite simple: never blast (spray) butane indoors!  They tell you it's possible with proper ventiliation, which is true, but if you're not in a laboratory with crazy woodshop-type vents sucking out all the butane I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't carry or wear anything that could generate a spark!

You should be fine.  As for the oil tasting like shit I've had the worst of the worst butane soup and it tasted fine to me....

Yes, that was retarded of me to smoke and no, I don't want to hear about how stupid I am for smoking it.  Thank you in advance and never again will I use black market BHO!

Also, keep in mind that it is possible to get caught making BHO and, here in the US at least, the legal consequences are equivalent to operating and owning a methamphetamine laboratory.

Do you hear that?  It's the sound of bubble hash calling our names....... ;)

Unless you've got cancer.  If that's the situation BHO ALL THE WAY (with decarboxylation and oral consumption).

12. [quote name="Lit_Reflex" post="21091674" timestamp="1419139724"]Oh, I forgot to address something you said. The recommended minimum weight of material to blast for BHO I have read was a quarter ounce. Also, it is said that buds will give a better yield than trim, but I don't know if that's true. Makes sense, though.

Please keep in mind that despite all this stuff I've been talking about I, too, am a newbie. I just have picked up a thing or two along the way and thought I would share. :)

Edit: To any moderators: I added a second comment instead of editing this in because I wanted to make sure whitelump didn't miss it.[/quotityeah I guess for bho its all about the size of tube your stuffing the product into if u have a small enough tube u can make smaller batches as for bubble hash I think I've had that b4 but I'm not sure if it works good in my vaporizer that's y I make hash oil out of hash but I will eventually get the stuff for bho I want to c what I like better before I turn all my plants into it and yes trim yields less than bud but there's nothing else to do with it so I'm still sure its worth it have you make bubble hash before? I've watched YouTube videos on it but I just Dont get how it extracts all the resin outta the bud and thank u for making sure I saw your post ;)

13. #13 whitelump, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    oh and I live in Virginia yeah our laws suck I went to jail for 30 days for failing a drug test for marijuana while I was on probation for a non drug related thing and it was my first time ever having a run in with the law is that nuts or what? I saw someone on here write "weather your for weed or against it no one should ever have to go to jail for it" I was like wow yeah I agree Lol I'm no criminal anyone that ever met me would agree

14. I do not believe that is true. can you send me a valid link to that case. What dummie drives with huge amounts of cash all over the place? Not a best practice no matter what you are doing.

15. This.. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1419172648.525000.jpg
    Is QWISO.

Chef.

There are plenty of people who don't use banks, from little old ladies to mob guys, but they still have to pay for that new roof or driveway. One contractor showed me $150k in a grocery bag in his truck. And yes, he was armed.

Plenty of people travel with large sums of cash, some of them drug dealers and they do get their assets seized. It's not out of the realm of possibility that somebody had their stuff confiscated who was actually innocent of a crime, in fact I think it happens more often than people realize. Local cops took my legally owned guns and wouldn't give them back for 6 months because they knew I was dealing but couldn't prove anything. IME, cops do whatever they want just to fuck with people they don't like, make you jump through hoops to get your stuff back even when they're wrong and you're right.

17. #17 ProGMOII, Dec 21, 2014
    I will call any one for any reason a dummie for having a ton of cash visible in their car. I f you see anything smart in that i have to question your naivety.

Link to the case?

18. #18 Thicken Dense, Dec 21, 2014
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/highway-seizure-in-iowa-fuels-debate-about-asset-forfeiture-laws/2014/11/10/10f725fc-5ec3-11e4-8b9e-2ccdac31a031_story.html

19. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

20. #20 Thicken Dense, Dec 21, 2014

Also, nobody said anything about the cash being visible, anybody would agree that's a stupid move.