Why we here?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by KidKappa, Dec 20, 2014.

1. #41 Xysephen, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    I dont post too often, mainly just a ponderer. We are here because life is inevitable due to the right conditions. Why must there be a purpose? Beauty is, we create purpose and also appreciation. We are evolved to the point of intellect, so our purpose would be to grow as a civilization. Instead were going against ourselves and growing slowly. Remain questioning and exploring because life is really great in the grand scheme. No need to go in great detail since there are loads we do not know about the universe. Some cannot accept this, but were not that evolved yet.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I remember my first existential crisis. Literally changed almost everything about how I live

3. I so know how you feel i had the exact same realisation when i was baked i was just like what the fuck am i upto what is this random routine of life everyhing just seemed so unneccessary weird at the time wish i could tap back into my state of mind then! Being baked is so good for seeing things in different perspectives. And i feel the same about the whole monk thing budhism and zen are two thins that i understand i feel like they make alot of sense cause they teach letting go of ideas and cultivating compassion and kindness. Anyway totally loving that someone had the same random thoughts asme lol PEACE and love i wish u much happiness and i hope all your queries can be answered

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. All the religious and scientific reasoning that I've read suggests we come from nothing. I've always kind of been fond of the idea that everything is built on top of the void and it will all collapse back into nothing. (nihil fit ex nihilo) So I try to touch as closely as possible to nothing as I can get through ego-deaths from psychedelics, mediation or my sensory depravation tank in order to find that primal quality all this is built upon. I started to realize life was meaningless, but not in a bad way. Meaninglessness gives power to every action that I take, I become the action entirely because I feel as though everything else is mist and when I put my conscious energy toward the action or a given aspect of the mist, the mist collapses into form giving me that experience whatever it may be. Words are just abstractions, why, who, what, these are all abstractions that we've become obsessed with, however I find that sitting in the timelessness of the moment to be entrancing enough that I don't feel the need to spoil it with words. You can look at the theoretics of everything but after a while you'll begin to miss the art of it all.

-Booshido

5. I'm not a huge fan of meaninglessness when I'm not forced by reality to be so. Instead, I prefer a cosmological scale to the conservation of such universal fundamentals as energy. Of course, a huge vacuum fluctuation on the scale of a universe is certainly possible. But the odds against such grows in proportion to the mass-energy of the "virtual" physical system that's fluctuating. Besides, such entities as vacuum fluctuations and virtual particles don't represent a something from nothing process. But rather, a temporary change in energy density in some region of spacetime. Any violation of the conservation of energy is only apparent due to quantum uncertainty and only occurs for extremely short durations of time. 

We can't count on having an infinity of time for such an astronomically improbable fluctuation or something from nothing event to occur since neither time nor space had existence prior to the big bang. It's the combination of both energy and space-time that somehow either came into existence from nothing (your view) or already existed in some other form (my view), and then expanded from its superdense, information packed state.

Another possibility, one that I prefer just from the aesthetics if nothing else: this could be merely one expanding spacetime-energy bubble out of a seething foam of such dynamic bubbles. Our universe bubble has it's peculiar set of physical constants that produces everything we can possibly observe and measure. The rest of the bubble-foam's bubbles could each have their own set of physical constants which determine how energy becomes manifest and interacts with both itself and spacetime. Such an interaction under constraint from our universe's peculiar set of constants produces the spacetime-energy interaction that we call the gravitational field. The vast majority of universes, depending on the mechanism behind the shuffling of physical constants, would not almost certainly even be able to produce matter - i.e. atoms. But, if the foam were infinite in scope, there would be an infinity of EVERY possible type of universe, obviously including our own.

That scenario sounds pretty weird and unlikely, too. It's almost become a cosmological fad these days. But it does have its appeal.

But then we could easily ask, what drives the foam? What shuffles and deals the deck of possible physical constants out to the a new budding bubble? Is The Whole Shebang (sorry Timothy Ferris) the only perpetual motion machine that exists? Or is it merely a subspace of an even  larger hierarchy of foamy spacetime-energy whatevers ad infinitum?

And so we just keep pushing our conceptual difficulties further and further away. But they never truly disappear.

6. don't worry kid, it gets worse [​IMG]

I'm not stating that it's a fact that life is based around nothing, just as far as I can deduce from the expansion of the universe which is the only tangible evidence of anything we have. Bubble theory and multi-universe theory is just poetic speculation, no proof whatsoever. The something from nothing process is like the chicken or the egg conundrum. I'm not saying I have all the answers in the slightest. I'm just saying from my experience throughout my life this is how I come to understand reality. You could understand reality as orgiastic process of atom dancing and celebrating in 11+ dimensions and that this universe is just an atom on the butt of some pan-dimensional creature all you want, but I subscribe occam's razor and don't fantasize about hyper-physics abstractions, I prefer the more tangible experience for myself that it's all meaningless and built on nothing to grant the opportunity for anything to be expressed (within limits). Plus everyday it seemed as though there was something new mixed into the pot changing everyone's theories about everything which I believe the universe is clever enough to keep throwing curve balls til the cows come home. Also I got out of physical explanations of existence because they don't ever seem to include consciousness quantum theory, which I suspect the mind plays subtle roles in shaping our reality. Intellectual wankery....

-Booshido

8. #48 SlowMo, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    I with ya on the whole thing. To be honest, I'm don't even care about all the physics shit anymore. I don't really subscribe to any of the speculative stuff. My philosophy is simple - I don't have a fucking clue what's actually going on here or if there's a purpose or if it's merely a bunch of energy dispersing forever toward complete irrelevance. But strings and multiverse and all that doesn't get me anything but pretty images in my head that may or may not even be slightly related to whatever is actually the reality.. 

Nah - fuck physics (except the div and curl of Maxwell lol) Anyway, while I was exploring life from the mechanical angle, I got completely captivated by molecular cell biology, and to a lesser extent, biochemistry. The shit is absolutely breathtaking in its profundity! Talk about some awe inspiring mysteries! I mean DNA codes for the very enzymes and most of the cell's structural hardware required for the code to be expressed! [​IMG] Think about it... And the molecular machinery (like ATP synthase) is un-fucking believable! 

I'm rambling and stoned - gotta go to bed. 

It's good to question existence it refines our understanding and our perception allowing for more exotic ideas to come to life giving life more color and dimension to the person who questions. When I'm high on certain strains physical and social stimulation has little effect on me allowing me to question what I take for granted everyday. Science is a cool perspective but so is certain religions and other philosophies. SlowMo, you should definitely read, if you haven't already "The Undiscovered Self" by Carl Jung, it talks about all these perspective and how we are all just productive units to society that only achieve satisfaction from life when we disassociate from social norms and look inward into our psyche. It's some psychedelic shizz. Also Martin Heidegger's "Being and Time", although he was a neo-nazi his concept of Dasein is pretty on point with the original topic. I stopped using science as an ontological explanation a while ago because it lacked color despite it being very plausible and intellectually entrancing.  I dig the scientific perspective as an artful tool, not as a religion :)

-Booshido

10. I went thru a period where I was camping out in both western mystical stuff (mostly transcendentalist poets and philosophers and some of the English mystical poets) and especially Eastern zen-tao stuff (DT Suzuki, Alan Watts, etc). I sort of ate the menu instead of ordering the meal, so to speak. Was more interested in the new perspective on existence than taking serious a call to disciplined meditation. I'm lazy and realize that I would be reprogramming my brain - which is fine. When I look toward what they seemed to be pointing at, in combination with what neuroscience tells me about consciousness as a function of neural spiking patterns, well... I sort of settle on a confused, wideband amazement for the dichotomy between what it is I think I am vs what I actually am. Errr, huh??? 

From one perspective, I'm a marvelous system of molecular machinery, infused with crazy levels and dimensions of information and information processing capabilities. The chemical processes that combine microsecond by microsecond to make the functional systems that I am are occurring according to their obedience to the fairly well understood physical laws. But things aren't always so neat and tidy. As an example, one evening a decade or so ago I was minding my business preparing to devour a plate of spaghetti. Out of nowhere I was "told" in my head to go to a particular neighborhood and there I'd find a house that was for someone else and they needed it the next day! [​IMG] Swear to God!  Well, I went and it was there! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Never been to the area before!   [​IMG]

So there's my spectrum - fully appreciating the biophysical reality and also fully aware that there's more and it doesn't seem to fit very well into physics. I'm obviously not seeing the larger picture behind how such specific information was beamed into my head, How is that even possible??? 

11. life is what you make it...

12. If I could see inside your head I would certainly go insane.

13. You'd prolly just get high. lol

Life is what you make of it.

15. We're spiritual beings on this planet to obviously do good and no harm. Everything is about balance and you can choose to always look at the positive side of things. Just live life and do what you love and along the way help others who love what you love achieve Their goals too !

❤️