Oklahoma/Nebraska want SCOTUS to reverse Colorado pot laws

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by DeepfriedNugs, Dec 19, 2014.

True, but states aren't supposed to make laws that conflict with Federal laws.  The lawsuit is not trying to force the feds to enforce the law, but instead to invalidate Colorado's law.

As it is now, with four stats with legalized recreational cannabis, and 23 with medical, and more to come in 2016, for the feds to invalidate all the other legal states and then start to enforce, which they just passed a bill to restrict funds being used by the DOJ to prosecute in mmj states, it's not a place they would want to put themselves. The SC could rule in favor of NE/OK under the surpremacy clause, but to enforce it is an entirely different matter. Luckily, the momentum has been on our side this last half decade. It's like NE/OK is tryihg to stop an avalanche from the Rocky Mountains.

3. I just read an article that said Kansas is still considering wether or not to join the lawsuit. Even though I don't think this lawsuit will be successful, it still wouldn't be good if another neighboring state joined in. Fingers crossed that they'll stay out of it!!

4. Im embarrased to be from Nebraska. I gotta get out of this state it blows.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

5. You are right next door to Colorado. Come on over, we would love to have you good sir!

6. If you carefully do some research and give it some thought of the results of this lawsuit, you might realize this is the best thing to happen for fully and legitimately legalizing marijuana. It does not take a genius to figure it out.

7. Make it legal for in state residents only. Problem solved.
    It was pretty obvious this was going to be a issue.

Possibly.  But the news of the bust of 85 lbs:

http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/12/24/oklahoma-police-say-trio-busted-colorado-pot-bound-tulsa/25955/

makes me wonder.  I seriously doubt these folks bought 85 lbs 1/4 oz at a time from a rec shop.  Even if they each bought a 1/4, that would still be 113 different purchases.  And at a high price.  This was black market weed that will still be an issue even if the SC forces them to close all the shops, both med and rec.

Perhaps maybe the best thing would be for OK and NE to decriminalize it and make it a $250 fine for under a couple of oz.  Then they would start making money on the deal.

9. Some people mostly southern states need to grow up and realize that it's not 1865 anymore.

10. #30 dabs710, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014

They could just as easily "legally" buy 1 oz (or illegally more) at a time from dealers. They weren't buying pounds like that from multiple stores, especially when anything over 1 oz is illegal anyways. They wouldn't want to drive around with all that weight to all thoes stores.

It is already decriminalized in Nebraska for under 1 oz. The penalties are still light if you possess 1 pound or less.

That might help, though they already have a provision that makes it illegal to export their weed out of state. They would have to make it completely illegal for non-residents to possess MJ at all. Even then they will make examples out of CO residents who sell out of state.

If NE and OK win, the result will be that the states can't sanction and make taxes from dispensaries / weed shops, which means that future marijuana legalization initiatives will be focused on removing criminal penalties as opposed to regulations. The arguments and logic will be stronger for supporting initiatives similar to the proposed CCHI, Prop 215, RCW 69.51a, etc. until the federal government itself removes marijuana from the CSA allowing the states to "tax and regulate".

11. It isnt a geographic problem more than it is a political one...till white people start abandoning the Republican Party that uses issues like race, abortion, religion and the false threat of "taking peoples guns away"...all the while screwing the everyday working person by being against labor unions which raise pay rates, refuse to allow the federal government to negotiate pharmaceutical prices like every other civilized nation on the planet (pharmaceuticals are more expensive in the US than any other industrialized nation because of this Republican moratorium) being against ANY raise in the minimum wage and against any recreational sale of marijuana. Stop electing these foxes and look to the Libertarian Party , the Greens or god forbid, even the god awful democrats...as bad as they are, their hearts are in the right places.

If they win, all hell will break loose and it has little to do with weed.

Imagine IL suing IN over less stringent guns laws.  NJ/NY suing any southern state over right-to-work and less union friendly policies.  This is a can of worms that we do no need to open.

It has more to do with enforcement and limitations of the CSA than it does with a state boarder issue IMO.

First, I agree 100% about looking at the libertarians.

But for one, there is a segment of the democratic party that absolutely would take away our guns if they could.  Second, unions are far more interested in their power and sustainability than the workers they represent.   Third, pharmaceuticals are more expensive here because of lawsuits.  Fourth, if the minimum wage was raised to the levels some suggest, the economy would tank and companies would invest in more technology so they could hire fewer workers.  So what is better, 3 people making $10/hour or 2 making $15/hour?  Good for the 2, bad for the 1.

Things are not this cut and dried.

15. Tell that to the Governor of NC... I think 1865 might be a little too advanced for him though. Perhaps 1770 would be more accurate :yummy:

16. There are plenty of people supporting parties that aren't democrat or republican, but the problem is that for every well informed voter there are 20-30 more voters who have done little to no research on candidates and vote based on party ties or even worse... they base opinions on television ads. I would love to see those parties win, any of them as long as its not one of the big two, but sadly, not enough people care about anything else.

17. I am a libertarian yo. What we need is not a republican, democrat nor Green Party. If I was old enough I'd run

18. I see you have swallowed the republican kool aid....first, every time, without exception that the minimum wage has been raised, Republicans have warned of job losses...they NEVER happened....never. That is FACT. Proven. Second, the exact same pharmaceuticals in Canada cost HALF what we pay because they negotiate collectively for the price of the drugs..and in Canada, just like in the USA, patients can sue drug manufacturers for injury. Thirdly, The ENTIRE purpose of a UNION is to be as aggressive and POLITICAL as it can be for the benefit of its workers and while Unions have shrunk considerably because of Republican "break the unions" laws lobbied and put forward by large corporations now called " right to work" laws..union workers, where they still exist earn more than 30% more than non union labor doing the same work..FACT.

19. #39 BloodBooger, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
    'll tell what IS "cut and dried" If you look at the total profit of a corporation as a pie, the slice the worker earns is a slice and the bit of profit the management , owners and shareholders take are slices of that same pie...now, as a person, you can be FOR the people who actually do the physical labor having a little larger slice of that tasty pie or you can be a Republican and want and believe those workers are less valuable to the whole process than the white collars up in the offices off the shop floor. Thats how " cut and dried" this argument is..it is only silly knobs that attempt to obfuscate and complicate what are simple truths....Republicanism is a Corporate interest whore dressed up in a populist gingham dress claiming virginity.....shes a real bitch. Being against people earning more is a real silly position unless your interests are benefitted from a more greedy motive.

20. And THATS coming from someone who thinks the Democrat Part is a losing, dying institution not worthy of support..so, your old, tired outdated political arguments designed to counter democrat talking points are useless here. BOTH the Republican AND Democrat parties are POISON and unworthy of our support.