Oklahoma/Nebraska want SCOTUS to reverse Colorado pot laws

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by DeepfriedNugs, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Waste of time, waste of an initiative... nothing is going to be done...

lol.. maybe they're just a little jealous they're missing out on all the legal buds!

2. Hmmm, I think they speak with forked tongue. :smoke:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/us/next-to-tribe-with-alcohol-ban-a-hub-of-beer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

WHITECLAY, Neb. - Four rickety metal shacks that line the main road in this town of maybe 10 people sell an average of 13,000 cans of beer and malt liquor a day. The nearest sizable city is two hours north. But just 240 yards north - across the state line in South Dakota - is the sprawling Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, where alcohol has been banned since the 1970s.

Nearly all the alcohol bought in Whiteclay winds up on Pine Ridge or is consumed by its residents, tribal officials say. Pine Ridge is home to the Oglala Sioux Tribe and is one of the poorest places in the country, according to 2010 census data

3. Yep Pine Ridge is right up around my alley... not really, I am from SoDak though...

The bootlegging that has developed because of the alcohol ban has spiked crime rates never seen before in this part of the country... it's sad..

4. #5 Carne Seca, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
    We have same alcohol ban on all the reservations here which has contributed to 90% of the alcohol related automobile accidents.  People drive into town to get drunk and then drive home.  We've had entire families wiped out.  The ban should have been lifted decades ago. 

This is just a tiny squall before the big storm.  The GOP will gain control of both Senate and House and marijuana laws are going to take hit after hit.  We're in for a rough couple of years.    

Don't forget it was the GOP controlled House that passed the current prohibition on using federal funds to counter state laws.  Might not be as bad as you think.

6. Not what I heard I heard Oak was going to be legalizing it as well

dont they all?  fkn jerks

this wont go anywhere and in fact it will probably back fire on them, serves em right eh.

10 years ago i would have agreed with you, but our gov is imploding very quickly, along with many corrupt gov's worldwide, this wont be an issue.

9. fucked up to even think that one state has some influence to change other state's laws. 

10. Even if Colorado loses, there is no federal money to enforce the SC order. :)

That only protect medical marijuana.

12. Colorado should make corn illegal then tell Nebraska and Kansas to stop growing corn because it feeds the corn black market in Colorado.

13. They can go cry a river, the same thing was tried with the medical program but it failed as well.

14. Good luck with that.

15. good luck with what? I'm not from Oklahoma .

16. #17 Storm Crow, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
    And the latest on this Hoo-rah!

New petition asks Oklahoma attorney general to withdraw lawsuit against Colorado

http://kfor.com/2014/12/20/new-petition-asks-oklahoma-attorney-general-to-withdraw-lawsuit-against-colorado/

OKLAHOMA CITY – Earlier this week Oklahoma and Nebraska filed a lawsuit with the U.S. Supreme Court, asking the justices to strike down Colorado's marijuana legalization laws.

Now, thousands of people are petitioning Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt and Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning, asking them to withdraw the lawsuit.

So far, more than 11,000 supporters have signed Marijuana Policy Project's petition.

Once they receive 15,000 signatures, the group plans to send the following letter to Pruitt and Bruning.

Please withdraw the lawsuit challenging the laws that were approved by Colorado voters and state lawmakers to regulate and tax marijuana like alcohol.

Marijuana prohibition is a failed public policy, and states should have the right to adopt a more sensible approach. Marijuana is objectively less harmful than alcohol to the consumer and to society, and it's time to start treating it that way.

GO TO THE ARTICLE TO SIGN THE PETITION!

17. #18 Green Wizard, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
    No, let them file the suit. I don't believe state governments can tell the feds how to enforce laws. It's not how it works. They can make laws governing their own state, but they can't tell the feds how to enforce laws in other states. That's the job of congress. If the SC takes this up, this will be the most likely ruling, and another big win for us!

18. Either they give in to the will of the people and drop the suit.

Or they go your way and lose the suit in the Supreme Court!

Either way, we win!

19. #20 FrankTheTank28, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    Scott Pruitt  and Jon Bruning are nothing but abusive people. They want to continue to enforce a militant style towards cannabis. 

​They also want to disobey the will of the voters in Colorado, and in fact all Americans by defying the will of the people. 

"Wallace Collins, the chairman of the Oklahoma Democratic Party, issued the following statement regarding Pruitt's involvement with the lawsuit.

“It is astounding that Mr. Pruitt didn't even realize that the Republican bill passed by his colleagues last week contains language that prohibits the US Department of Justice from interfering with state marijuana laws. It is ironic that Mr. Pruitt is the crusader against frivolous lawsuits, but he personally files a significant number of them. Also, I though Mr. Pruitt campaigned on home rule and local control, but he is the first to fight local control and home rule. Did the pharmaceutical industry write this lawsuit for him?”
    "

From Strom Crow

Original source
    http://kfor.com/2014...ainst-colorado/
    By Dallas Franklin and Kfor-TV