DIY LED or Retail LED?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by REALSTYLES, Dec 18, 2014.

1. I know you made other lights lol, just want a to know what Mars units you have since I'm buying some soon :)

Chef.

2. I have 2-Mars II 1600w, 1 900w, 1-Mars II 1200w ans 2- Mars 300w.

3. Where you live in England, would be interested in a 900.
    Let me know when you come to sell.

Chef.

4. Wow!! these LEDs look awesome!

Do you have somekind of guide? hooking everything up is no real problem for me, it is the parts selection that worry me.

Do you run AC voltage directly to your drivers? or do you need a power supply to convert to DC and then run that power to the drivers?

I'm really looking into building one of my own for Vegging that would use 2-3 COBs and maybee a couple of color specific star chips. But I really don't know how to choose my drivers and all...

And how about those high performance heat sinks for CPUs? would that be good also? I'm trying to figure out a way to make a vented LED light with the heatsink running Inside of some ducting :p  And are you pushing or pulling the air on the heatsink?

haha Nice Real, you are really great on LED, ;) :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Nice layout RS

Are the 2 in the middle NW?

UN SomeGuy on RIU is krushing his grows with a DIY

He uses rectangular channel with a fan on the end to help cool

7. No. First pic all 3000K last pic 5000k

8. Finally got an email with my tracking number for my other COB's and they attached a pic of what I'm receiving 

my cob's.jpg

They should be here by next week from DHL

9. I just found out they are gonna be the newest version. The new top bin super bright and super efficient.

10. Exciting man, you got the heat sink fans and the rest?

You thinking about a case? Keep it all neat and dust free?

Chef.

11. I've got sinks,drivers, COB holders and wire, but I need some threaded eye screw and some more chain to hang the lights.No case needed.That traps the heat inside the case, plus it's easier to keep clean and as for wires all over the place. I'm gonna figure out how to mount a box where all the wires go. But I don't have them going everywhere right now.

12. Are you running par meters or just winging it? What kind of lights have you run your panel against? Can you provide a computer graphic of your spectrum please?
    Thank you :)

13. Why? When I can show plants grown under them. Graphs is a joke and could be smoke and mirrors and I haven't got a luminance meter yet so I can't give you exact measurements yet. One thing I do know the guys I'm learning this from knows their shit.

14. Sigh...nevermind.

15. Sorry man I can't give you any spec info yet. I'm a noob to diy LED's. I'll try to find the color spec of the Cree CXA3590 35F CB bin.

16. Thats alright bro. I dont expect one person to be able to compete with companies in terms of labs, research, side by side tests for years, buying 100 panels and doing side by side grows, recording spectrum and growth of plants, buying expensively expensive par meters (2k +) to test spectrum, adding uv lights, placing leds at just the right distance from each other with just the right colors so spectrum doesnt shift.

Im just hopeful that one day someone who's building LEDs at home is more concerned with the science rather than, look what i can do. What are you doing? I really dont know LOL

My newest led panel has ten watt single diode crees, its 619 actual watts and two have blown away my 1200w HPS/MH setup so far (two weeks usage). I dont pretend to be an expert by any means, but i like to stick with companies that are experts.

Hopefully your venture can grow into something that can one day compete with these companies, if thats your wish, or at least provide some insight into what is going on in terms of spectrum, placement etc. I noticed the companies that REALLY know what theyre doing use the smallest heatsyncs possible, but thats the opposite with homebuilt lights, which for some odd reason keep spending an arm and a leg to buy heatsyncs "by the foot"

The great news is you can build a light super cheap that will outperform lights of the same price range, the bad part is everything i mentioned above.

~ poke

17. Agreed with Poke, although I am SUPER curious to see anyone do a DIY LED build and grow. Mostly because I fantasize about that sort of thing and never can justify the money (especially with my skill set).

All in all I hope it does grow well, who wouldn't  :hello:

18. I can tell you this my DIY lights are better than the Mars II lights. For1 heat and 2 noise. Those lights sound like fighter jets. Mine you can't tell if it's even running.

19. Btw I received my 3590's today and will be constructing 3 more lights but at 3500K. This will be my full spectrum lights.

SAM_0210.JPG