DIY LED or Retail LED?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by REALSTYLES, Dec 18, 2014.

1. finally after 3 drill bits and 3 taps I finally have the holes ready to mount my Ideal COB holders. Now I need to get my thermal paste and figure out how to hang the light properly.

2. Pics?? 😖

3. tomorrow but nothing special.

4. Right on. Looking forward to it. Just interested in seeing how you do this

5. Well this is what I've got so far

SAM_0125.JPG

6. I assume that's the power supply on top? How do you attach these items to the heat sink?

7. I'm still figuring it out, but thinking of making a aluminum frame to hold the heat sink and the drivers. I'm in no rush this is the prototype build.

8. Yup, take your time and do it right. 

9. Looks like a good start. Any chance of a dummies guide to DIY LED after this? =)

10. I'm a dummy too. I'll post more pics and links to the info you'll need. I'm still learning as well but I'll be passing down the stuff that I've learned stay tuned.

11. Awesome from what Ive read theres not alot too it. Cob + Driver/power supply  and cooling and power supplies for that. I like the idea of a big heatsink on top tho.

12. :hello: Good man!  :bongin:

13. More pics of my progress and the center cob's off by a inch lol

SAM_0126.JPG SAM_0127.JPG SAM_0128.JPG SAM_0129.JPG SAM_0130.JPG SAM_0131.JPG SAM_0132.JPG SAM_0133.JPG

14. This is what I did today it's not much I drank to much last year lol. I just have to figure out where I'm gonna put the drivers.

SAM_0138.JPG

SAM_0139.JPG

SAM_0140.JPG

15. That's looking pretty good! How hard was it to drill into the heatsink? Not to take anything away from your work but this doesn't really look to difficult and it doesn't seem to be to many components. (I would just need an idiot proof guide to doing it as I would want to burn down my place)I can wait until you finish R&Ding em first though. :smoke:  I see you are making two, 1 for flower and 1 for veg as you stated in the OP? I look forward to following your results. Are you going to have these alone in a tent or shared with your mars? Sorry for the 1000 questions. I just like what I'm seeing.   :bongin:

16. Seems like the COBs need sufficient heatsink around them to evenly dissipate the heat

You may run into problems with the 4 on the ends

Now would be a good time to move them inboard

17. Veg light up and running 329 watts @ 2.71 amps haven't tested the heat yet. I gotta let it run a few hours first but it's fucking bright

SAM_0141.JPG

SAM_0142.JPG

SAM_0143.JPG

18. #38 B-Real206, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    That's fucking sick bro!! Any idea how much it weighs? Do you think the one fan will be enough? Stoked to see and hear more. Good job though man :hello:   :bongin:

19. Lmao had to look twice at that pic, looks like your rocken a creepen monkey mask at first glance!

Do you have the equipment to test the led? I forget whats its called. Par meter or something lol i dunno.

20. No heat issue tested with IR thermometer  36c or 97f. Just remember I purchased the 7.28" W x 24" L heat sink just for that reason. I still have to wire the drivers for my bloom light. Maybe tonight but I won't buy anymore retail panels, I'm glad I waited to build my first LED because 4 years ago I was gonna due the star led chips lol.