Organic nutrients you recommend

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by NorthernAutos, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Hey I might have the wrong thread here, just let me know....

Im looking to order some liquid nutes and want to try organic with preferably the pH adjusting feature. A couple questions come along with this,

-What is your personal favorite flowering nute and why? My goal in the plant is not huge yields but to make up for that in quality. Nice colors, flavors and crystals. Goal in the nute is for it to help achieve that and maybe have the self pH adjusting 

-I don't want a nute for veg, only flower. So once I start flower can I add nutes slowly at low strengths or will that shock the plant? 

thanks guys!

2. Look into organic build a soils or super soils, no nutes, no pH, just add water. I've done the bottled nutrient route and am just getting into it. Really liking the simplicity so far. Good luck

3. If you're gonna try "organic" why not go all the way? Like my friend said above its more about building soil than an additive later. stick around read some posts & stickey's and I think you'll like what's going on here. And no I didn't answer your question, sorry.

4. #4 Greasemonkeyman, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    I apologize ahead of time, as I won't answer your question either, immediately anyways, but bear with me, first I commend you on asking prior to purchasing, often it's "i bought this at the hydrostore, is it good?
    You said yield wasn't important to you, as quality was your goal.
    If that's the goal, unquestionably, go with an amended organic soil.
    Also contrary to what the hydrostore people will tell you, cannabis doesn't need a different "npk" when flowering, especially in a properly made soil, good compost, and vermicompost , is crucial in doing this.
    Kinda gotta go all in man... soil with bottled nutes and ph adjusters isn't a "true" organic grow, it's a simulated "organic" hydroponic grow, remember hydroponics means feeding via water, whether it's chem based or not, is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking you, it's better than a chem grow...
    BUT for quality? go with a properly aged and amended soil, with a good compost/vermicompost and some simple amendments like kelp meal, neem meal, crab meal, some use manures, if so i'd suggest rabbit or alpaca, in that order, and you are off, you can cut corners by adding a bag of the reg promix and a couple bags of some good neutral soil...
    But I digress...
    For bottled organic nutes  i'd suggest, in lieu, a nutrient tea.
    I have used, and with good results the following teas.
    seabird guano the 12-8-2 one, if you can find it, but i'm kinda not totally fond of seabird turds, I mean, what do they eat, I hear its a lot of human garbage... but again, I digress.
    Comfrey and dandelion teas ( recommend highly)
    kelp meal, and alfalfa for vege time (tricanatrol, may delay flowering, in theory, if used during flowering)
    kelp meal, molasses, and insect frass (good stuff)
    You don't NEED to aerate for nutrient teas, so it's easy to keep some boxes of the amendments around, and all you need is a bucket.
    Just as easy as bottled nutes, that are probably chock full of metals and a lot of the advantages of organics are usually lost when in an anerobic state... like a bottle.
    Again, sorry for not technically answering your question, but I was in a similar spot as you many yrs ago, and I wish I was exposed to what I do now, as it's far superior in almost every aspect... Not to mention cheaper, easier, and better for the environment, and that's on top of the superior product...
    Sorry for the rambley answer, I blame coffee.

5. I'm going to cut to the point...

Those organic bottled nutrients are simply just premixed amendments. They are made ready to mix and add to your soil. The consumer has no idea the quality of ingredients used, or how the product is made. So they are just cashing in on misinformed, lazy consumers.

You can get more out of buying a handful of amendments and mixing your own concoctions for a fraction of the price.

If Organic gardening interests you, I'd recommend reading through the "Easy Soil Mix for Beginners" thread thoroughly. There's is a lot to learn.

6. While I 100% agree with the previous comments, I also recognize that an organic bottled nutrient is a good jumping off point for someone new to organics. I personally started feeding with Roots Organic while I researched how to make teas, and then how to build my own soil. It took time for my soil to cook. The bottled nutrients allowed me to be impatient and get started right away, without having to continue poisoning myself with chemicals while I waited for my good soil to be ready. Anything that gets growers into organics is a good thing in my book.

That said, I quickly learned that those $20 bottles of nutes were as easy to make as a bowl of cereal. If you can do cereal,
    milk, and sugar, you can do kelp, guano, and molasses. Super easy. I'd do a 1/4 cup
    kelp and 1/4 cup guano in 5 gallons of water, soaked for at least a day. Worm castings and molasses are great too. You can basically mix and match any ammendments you want, which I have come
    to enjoy.

7. #7 NorthernAutos, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
    Thank you... this was the kind of answer I was looking for. I still may go with bottled but making my own is definitely on option now, I can manage cereal :p

8. #8 ChefZiggy, Dec 19, 2014
    I started my first grow in Feb. of this year as an all organic grow following advice similar to the above. I can't imagine it getting any easier.

And being weed independent is the Shit!

9. #9 Jackhererwasright, Dec 19, 2014
    I am kind of the opposite of most growers here (lucky me?) I started learning growing on gc organics b/c all that hydro equipment and pH stuff made my head hurt :confused:  anyways, I am still a VERY green noobie grower but have made lots soil (now for the plants!) Funny part is I am now helping out a friend who did an organic bottled nutrients soil grow. Have to say, the results for his first time were not bad... but even with this organic (which doesnt really mean anything for fertilizers unless it is certified by some important borard or department) nutes the plants got burned alot from over feeding or what have you. Anyways, the buds came out nicely, but the dirt doesnt smell good like "real" organic soil, its lacking something... OH I KNOW; NUTRIENT CYCLING MICROBES to feed the plant AND MULCH! Lol and my friends have to get new bags of STERILE promix and fox farm or happy dog or input or whatever you want to call it for $$$$$$$ + the nutes. Like if I spent what they spend on one growing cylce for my entire operation I would be very well off in the Recycled Organic Living 'soil department :metal: Soooo im convincing them the same as these guys are convincing you, go organic and team with the microbes, ditch the bottles and the bagged soil and compost/amend/topdress your way to freedom (literally, most valuable things come from plants and you can have soil to grow plants that never 'goes bad' if taken care of properly, that kind of intrigues me alot :gc_rocks:

edit: i forgot to mention all the extra work that comes along with all the extra money spent (for bottled grows) I have to fill resovoirs, measure nutes each time, different solutions for veg and flower...water pumps, bath tubs, its a drag to have to work so hard once you learn the jedi path to true organic goodness. may the horse poo be with you haha

10. haha thanks man, I am DEFINITELY going to make some soil over the summer but it's -30 and I don't want to have that stuff mixin up in my house lol so next winter will be an organic soil grow, I want to try both methods for sure! So I know you guys are going to hate me but I think for this current grow I'm gonna get a bottle of bloom nutes.... Promise I'll make some organic soil when it warms up

11. No hate whatsoever! It took me a long time before I came over and it was small steps at a time. We all start where we start. Keep comin round and learning and get some knowledge.

12. Nah, never any hate from me my friend, in -30 I don't know if it's even possible to age soil, but hell, I've never even been in anything less than 8 degrees..
    Use those bottles, but be careful and always use less than they tell you. Less is always, always better, your plants won't stop growing and wilt from underfeeding.
    In fact as an experiment, I've grown plants beginning to end, with absolutely no food at all, in reused vermifire (the soil was used for one harvest prior), I did this yrs ago, and the results were actually better than I thought, the taste was completely different than normal, a lil smaller than normal (not much though) but no visible deficiencies, that's why I often wonder about all the pictures with these sick plants I see, and often the remedy suggested is to feed, I just haven't seen many problems from feeding less. Now this is pertaining to organics only, with organics its a lil easier because so much of it breaks down slowly, hydro is a diff subject, but I will never claim to be knowledgable in that regard.

13. #13 Chief Smokumlot, Dec 19, 2014
    If you have the room, soil can still do its thing inside. Its cold as can be here too. Mines in a garbage can in the room my furnace and water heater are in, breaking down. Keeps it slightly warmer then the other rooms in the house, but space restrictions limit some from doing so.

14. -30 was in Celsius cause I'm from Canada, no clue what that is Fahrenheit.

Also I'm not living alone, and my girlfriend hates the idea of living soil attracting bugs and what not inside the house so either way that's gotta wait till summer. I'll see how the nutes
    Work for me this grow and then next will hopefully be with my own soil :)

15. Yes I will be feeding them very lightly, and you might get a DM from me soon about soil

16. if you amend with neem and crab meal you won't have any bugs inside the house or on the soil, at least not the bugs that girls are afraid of

17. I understand that, Its not going to attract any more bugs in your house, then the soil you currently grow in. But space is space and girlfriends are .....well that depends on who you ask I guess;)

Amen!  It just seemed like way too much work for this old stoner.  

And the best lesson learned here?  LITFA.

Can BAS Living Organic Soil grow the plant from seed to harvest without adding anything but water?  I've been told that isn't realistic and that Espoma should be added.

http://buildasoil.com/collections/frontpage/products/living-organic-soil

20. I would use it if I didn't have nearly the same thing cooking up in my basement.  ;-)